Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

nah not really inruin. It's good to see someone/some group hold these regressive destructive corrupt national/act mps to account through democratic means, what little there is left as the right try and take it away from all new zealanders.
That same group ranked Luxon and Willis well.

After almost a year as prime minister, Christopher Luxon scored an average of 3.73/5 on a scale running from one, “not impressive”, to five “very impressive”.

Willis is earning the confidence of the business community, the survey showed, with a significant majority of executives expressing trust in her management of the economy as finance minister.

Some 78% of survey respondents said they were confident in Willis’ economic leadership, while 8% were not, and 14% remained uncertain. Willis has had a swift rise to one of the Government’s top jobs.

They are also much more optimistic, rating their confidence in the economy at 3.23 out of 5 – the highest score since 2016.

I think it's great you are finally seeing the light and getting on board with this coalition government

NZWarriors.com
wrong as usual.
you don’t even read the shit you post.

“The plan to sell the airport shares had already been agreed in the council’s long term plan.”

in all honesty, i don’t know anyone here in wellington that isn’t excited to see the back of mayor whanau. not only is she a terrible mayor. she’s a vile human.

“Right-leaning councillors typically in favour of asset sales fear the council will “squander” the money, and their left leaning anti-privatisation counterparts are turning their backs on their ideology.

Meanwhile, mayor Tory Whanau, a Green, has championed the sale.”

CORRUPTION!
NEOLIBRALISM!
ETC!!!
Does it say anywhere that the Government wants to sell Wellington Airport Shares?

The government is rightfully concerned with an inept mayor with a drinking problem.

The right leaning councillors are justifiably concerned about any money raised being squandered. We have just come through a period of mismanaged left aligned spending that was squandered.

wrong as usual.
you don’t even read the shit you post.

“The plan to sell the airport shares had already been agreed in the council’s long term plan.”

in all honesty, i don’t know anyone here in wellington that isn’t excited to see the back of mayor whanau. not only is she a terrible mayor. she’s a vile human.

“Right-leaning councillors typically in favour of asset sales fear the council will “squander” the money, and their left leaning anti-privatisation counterparts are turning their backs on their ideology.

Meanwhile, mayor Tory Whanau, a Green, has championed the sale.”

CORRUPTION!
NEOLIBRALISM!
ETC!!!
Well, fair marv, as JuJu kindly mentioned a wee while ago, I wasn't wrong about the privatisation during this term of this far right ideological neoliberal government of the rich, by the rich and for the rich.

When you see comments like we're seeing now, it's following the same pattern. Manufacture a crisis, soften up the media and public, lo and behold your mates have made a massive profit and new zealand is fucked and sold off.

But Luxon's wealthy and sorted, he's okay.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Well, fair marv, as JuJu kindly mentioned a wee while ago, I wasn't wrong about the privatisation during this term of this far right ideological neoliberal government of the rich, by the rich and for the rich.

When you see comments like we're seeing now, it's following the same pattern. Manufacture a crisis, soften up the media and public, lo and behold your mates have made a massive profit and new zealand is fucked and sold off.

Hope customs is privatised.

Bunch of drongos without a care how long it takes; how inconvenienced and an inability to showing any compassion. Sick of 30-45 minute queues to get back in the country with only a couple of booths open and them all hanging round playing with the dogs.

Never forgiven that customs dog for picking up an apple our kids had and costing me $400. Customs should have made my kids pay it 🤣

Can they sack those dogs as well?

Closing them down will be satisfying 😈

Can you run through your theory of how this government has manufactured a crisis?

Unpopular opinion, but I don’t think the govt should step into the Wellington council governance. If Wellington has voted in a bunch of muppets, democracy should prevail, despite the repercussions (sorry marv.)

My criticism of the last government was that they stuck their beak into everything. This government shouldn’t do the same

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Unpopular opinion, but I don’t think the govt should step into the Wellington council governance. If Wellington has voted in a bunch of muppets, democracy should prevail, despite the repercussions (sorry marv.)

My criticism of the last government was that they stuck their beak into everything. This government shouldn’t do the same
not unpopular with me. I get lectured on the democratic process regularly here, those same people should want to defend wellington council from the authoritarian ravages

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Underinvestment in health pre-dates the current government by decades.
Definitely been a long term issue. If you look at our debt to GDP I can't help but feel the last 6 years have really exacerbated the situation. Not just with health but other infrastructure as well.

2017, 18 and 19 our debt to GDP dropped significantly suggesting a focus on reducing debt rather than improving infrastructure. Following that a large amount of borrowing, driven by the COVID pandemic initially but continued on with spending that delivered very little other than an over inflated economy

Screenshot_2024-10-15-17-12-24-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Definitely been a long term issue. If you look at our debt to GDP I can't help but feel the last 6 years have really exacerbated the situation. Not just with health but other infrastructure as well.

2017, 18 and 19 our debt to GDP dropped significantly suggesting a focus on reducing debt rather than improving infrastructure. Following that a large amount of borrowing, driven by the COVID pandemic initially but continued on with spending that delivered very little other than an over inflated economy

View attachment 9837
What's the point reducing debt when you have a poorly functioning economy?
We act like debt is the boogie man. Govt debt is required to motivate the economy, esp in a recession.

What's the point of reducing debt when our infrastructure is lacking ie 2017 - 2019. If you think our current debt is low what was the need to drastically reduce it then. I accept the initial COVID induced borrowing and spending but the following continued borrowing and spending is a really wasted opportunity to give a boost to infrastructure with a majority government and an acceptance of debt by the general public. Unfortunately we have very little to show for it

We act like debt is the boogie man. Govt debt is required to motivate the economy, esp in a recession.
Needs to be remembered that the weak economy was manufactured to bring inflation back to target levels. It’s temporary, the economy will slowly move into recovery mode over the next 12 months, hopefully with more people understanding this thing that many forgot existed as they took on more and more debt - risk.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
What's the point of reducing debt when our infrastructure is lacking ie 2017 - 2019. If you think our current debt is low what was the need to drastically reduce it then. I accept the initial COVID induced borrowing and spending but the following continued borrowing and spending is a really wasted opportunity to give a boost to infrastructure with a majority government and an acceptance of debt by the general public. Unfortunately we have very little to show for it
I'm not advocating for reducing spending. Aiming for a surplus at any time with the litany of problems we have is a fools game. The 2017-2019 govt was stupid to do it.
It wasn't all for nothing - They increased the home ownership rate, for the first time in 30+ years. Infrastructure investment is a long game - you're not going to see much in 3 years (when they had the giant mandate). They squandered it a fair bit, but there was no need for national to cut the cord as it appears to be doing. The labout initiatives should have been continued - increase spend on PT and alternative modes of transport. KO build program especially.

Needs to be remembered that the weak economy was manufactured to bring inflation back to target levels. It’s temporary, the economy will slowly move into recovery mode over the next 12 months, hopefully with more people understanding this thing that many forgot existed as they took on more and more debt - risk.
They have tanked economic capacity in critical areas. That will take a fair few years to correct. Construction, healthcare, education, R&D.
You wait, the recovery will be house trading and temporary visas.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'm not advocating for reducing spending. Aiming for a surplus at any time with the litany of problems we have is a fools game. The 2017-2019 govt was stupid to do it.
It wasn't all for nothing - They increased the home ownership rate, for the first time in 30+ years. Infrastructure investment is a long game - you're not going to see much in 3 years (when they had the giant mandate). They squandered it a fair bit, but there was no need for national to cut the cord as it appears to be doing. The labout initiatives should have been continued - increase spend on PT and alternative modes of transport. KO build program especially.
Yes it needs to be balanced, but IMO the place we found ourselves in with high inflation and high interest rates needed correction. Fairly short and sharp in the Grand scheme of things. Given that business confidence was at a massive low point just prior to the election with over 80% considering the economy in a bad state and 6% thinking the government had no plan, I think we were almost forced in to this. Definitely could be arguments made around how much, how fast etc. Housing is certainly one area but with the level of borrowing and spending we should have had a couple of new hospitals instead of now arguing over what Dunedin's one should now look like

Yes it needs to be balanced, but IMO the place we found ourselves in with high inflation and high interest rates needed correction. Fairly short and sharp in the Grand scheme of things. Given that business confidence was at a massive low point just prior to the election with over 80% considering the economy in a bad state and 6% thinking the government had no plan, I think we were almost forced in to this. Definitely could be arguments made around how much, how fast etc
What causes inflation? Capacity problems. So expand economic capacity you can control, you do this with investment. Training/education/research, infrastructure. Def not austerity.
There's a fundamental misunderstanding of what Govt spending can do.

Business confidence is complete BS measure. And certainly not something to change a govt over.

Back