• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

NZWarriors.com
I'm basing it on the facts presented in the article by marv.
okay.
ONE.LAST.TIME.

from wellington city council themselves:

Shelling out: the costs​

All told, the project cost $562,942.
SupplierMadsen & Green Contracting Ltd - construction
Spent by June 2024$307,453
Forecast
Total$307,453
SupplierARA Shelters - Design and Supply
Spent by June 2024$85,000
Forecast
Total$85,000
SupplierWSP - Civil Design and Construction Monitoring
Spent by June 2024$36,933
Forecast$2,950
Total$39,883
SupplierInternal Labour
Spent by June 2024$34,370
Forecast$3,296
Total$37,666
SupplierWellington Electricity (Downer Contractor)
Spent by June 2024$27,639
Forecast
Total$27,639
SupplierTilley Group - Bike racks
Spent by June 2024$26,000
Forecast
Total$26,000
SupplierRed Wolf Security - CCTV Cameras supply
Spent by June 2024$19,700
Forecast
Total$19,700
SupplierRed Wolf Security - CCTV Cameras install
Spent by June 2024
Forecast$10,000
Total$10,000
SupplierStephenson & Turner - lighting assessment, supply
Spent by June 2024$6,240
Forecast
Total$6,240
SupplierTilley Group - Rubbish bin
Spent by June 2024
Forecast$2,440
Total$2,440
SupplierWCC TA - Building Consent Exemption Fee
Spent by June 2024$921
Forecast
Total$921

Table: Sapeer Mayron, Julie Jacobson Source: Wellington City Council

so if you add the two motorcycle parks to the 24 bicycle parks. each park costs taxpayers $21,651.

surely you’re not accusing tory whanau’s green office of right wing echo chamber rhetoric neoliberalism etc?

Last edited:
You do know that if more people cycle, walk, take public transport, the health outcomes drastically improve of the population putting less burden on infrastructure, and indeed freeing up the very roads that you all complain about that don't go fast enough.

Seems like we're back in the 1960s in this forum.
My position was pro biking for transport but if we’re spending money on based as a recreation/ sport eg a seperate bike track around the Auckland waterfront front, then it needs to be cost benefit analysis against other sport/ recreation funding.

Ps while I live in Tauranga I own property and a business in Auckland and am up there all the time!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
okay.
ONE.LAST.TIME.

from wellington city council themselves:

Shelling out: the costs​

All told, the project cost $562,942.
SupplierMadsen & Green Contracting Ltd - construction
Spent by June 2024$307,453
Forecast
Total$307,453
SupplierARA Shelters - Design and Supply
Spent by June 2024$85,000
Forecast
Total$85,000
SupplierWSP - Civil Design and Construction Monitoring
Spent by June 2024$36,933
Forecast$2,950
Total$39,883
SupplierInternal Labour
Spent by June 2024$34,370
Forecast$3,296
Total$37,666
SupplierWellington Electricity (Downer Contractor)
Spent by June 2024$27,639
Forecast
Total$27,639
SupplierTilley Group - Bike racks
Spent by June 2024$26,000
Forecast
Total$26,000
SupplierRed Wolf Security - CCTV Cameras supply
Spent by June 2024$19,700
Forecast
Total$19,700
SupplierRed Wolf Security - CCTV Cameras install
Spent by June 2024
Forecast$10,000
Total$10,000
SupplierStephenson & Turner - lighting assessment, supply
Spent by June 2024$6,240
Forecast
Total$6,240
SupplierTilley Group - Rubbish bin
Spent by June 2024
Forecast$2,440
Total$2,440
SupplierWCC TA - Building Consent Exemption Fee
Spent by June 2024$921
Forecast
Total$921

Table: Sapeer Mayron, Julie Jacobson Source: Wellington City Council

so if you add the two motorcycle parks to the 24 bicycle parks. each park costs taxpayers $21,651.

surely you’re not accusing tory whanau’s green office of right wing echo chamber rhetoric neoliberalism etc?
OKAY. ONE LAST TIME. The article you posted Marv - YOU - has a link to the Dom Post article, also with the figures above, figures for the total delivery of all infrastructure, of which the bike rack, which is what you righties are complaining about in the first place, comes in at 136000 - AS QUOTED FROM THE ARTICLE, AS CLEARLY STATED.

Have a great night everyone.

OKAY. ONE LAST TIME. The article you posted Marv - YOU - has a link to the Dom Post article, also with the figures above, figures for the total delivery of all infrastructure, of which the bike rack, which is what you righties are complaining about in the first place, comes in at 136000 - AS QUOTED FROM THE ARTICLE, AS CLEARLY STATED.

Have a great night everyone.
did they just bolt a bike rack to an existing wall?

no.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
did they just bolt a bike rack to an existing wall?

no.
If that wall is concrete, I think banging my head against it would be easier than getting him to understand simple maths.... speaking of which, what do people think of the new government trying to improve the maths curriculum... crisis or hoax? Needed or not? Does it matter how we compare to other countries or are the stats fake?

I think one thing Auckland does need is a better waterfront cycle way along Tamaki Drive. The cycle lane is fine for kids but those out for serious road bike training/exercise need somewhere better than what they have away from pedestrians and vehicles. There's already been far too many cyclists injured on there and they also seem to forget the road code when it come to pedestrians legally using marked crossings.
I had a think about this the other day as I occasionally use the bike lane (in summer commuting) and the road (in training).

Auckland council has done a pretty crap job to create the cycle lane on Tamaki drive after the ngapipi intersection. The only way to improve it IMHO is to ban parking on Tamaki drive, therefore having a road that is wide enough for both cyclists, drivers and buses. People can park on the side streets

Anyway, I’m not losing sleep on it. Caring is futile

I had a think about this the other day as I occasionally use the bike lane (in summer commuting) and the road (in training).

Auckland council has done a pretty crap job to create the cycle lane on Tamaki drive after the ngapipi intersection. The only way to improve it IMHO is to ban parking on Tamaki drive, therefore having a road that is wide enough for both cyclists, drivers and buses. People can park on the side streets

Anyway, I’m not losing sleep on it. Caring is futile
I've got a loathe/hate relationship for cyclists training on Tamaki.... not that I'm labeling you in what I'm about to say.

Because of playing hockey for one or two seasons longer than I should have on artificial turf, my knees are pretty knacked these days so while I enjoy walking, I'm not as fast as I used to be. When you're crossing at a pedestrian crossing on Tamaki Drive, cars would obey the road code and stop and wait for you. But, if I saw a bunch of cyclists coming, I wouldn't dare walk out in front of them even when they had plenty of time to stop.... the amount of abuse I and others copped from the Lycra brigade is had to believe as they go flying either in front or behind you without bothering to slow down let alone stop.

But the worst was a group of cyclist all in the same coloured jerseys.... one of them deliberately put his elbow into the back of a pensioner as he flew past him. Poor old guy wasn't badly hurt but was really shaken up. One driver who stopped phoned the police but because it wasn't possible to identify which cyclist had done it, nothing happened.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I've got a loathe/hate relationship for cyclists training on Tamaki.... not that I'm labeling you in what I'm about to say.

Because of playing hockey for one or two seasons longer than I should have on artificial turf, my knees are pretty knacked these days so while I enjoy walking, I'm not as fast as I used to be. When you're crossing at a pedestrian crossing on Tamaki Drive, cars would obey the road code and stop and wait for you. But, if I saw a bunch of cyclists coming, I wouldn't dare walk out in front of them even when they had plenty of time to stop.... the amount of abuse I and others copped from the Lycra brigade is had to believe as they go flying either in front or behind you without bothering to slow down let alone stop.

But the worst was a group of cyclist all in the same coloured jerseys.... one of them deliberately put his elbow into the back of a pensioner as he flew past him. Poor old guy wasn't badly hurt but was really shaken up. One driver who stopped phoned the police but because it wasn't possible to identify which cyclist had done it, nothing happened.
Yeah a lot of cyclists are assholes. I am a runner that occasionally cycles so I don’t count myself among them. But completely understand where you are coming from

Yeah a lot of cyclists are assholes. I am a runner that occasionally cycles so I don’t count myself among them. But completely understand where you are coming from
When I was in my late teens, I decided not to play hockey for a season and instead joined up with a running club for the winter with a bunch of friends.... the fact that one was a girl I secretly liked is purely coincidental. At the end of the season, we had our Road Championship event which was a handicapped race, and everyone started off according to their times during previous races that year.

Four of us were entered into the Colts race... but one had to work and another, Aaron Strong who would later represent NZ in World King of the Mountain events, decided to run the seniors longer course instead meaning there were only two of us left in our division. Because I was slower than him, I got to leave around 40 secs before he did. I had two advantages over him, I was a stronger runner up hill, and I knew the Mt Albert area better than him.

Turns out I had another advantage; I could follow directions, and he couldn't, and he got lost.... so, I'm the Auckland Presbyterian Harriers Club Colts Road Handicap Champion of 1984!!!!

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
When I was in my late teens, I decided not to play hockey for a season and instead joined up with a running club for the winter with a bunch of friends.... the fact that one was a girl I secretly like is purely coincidental. At the end of the season, we had our Road Championship event which was a handicapped race, and everyone started off according to their times during previous races that year.

Four of us were entered into the Colts race... but one had to work and another, Aaron Strong who would later represent NZ in World King of the Mountain events, decided to run the seniors longer cause instead meaning there were only two of us left in our division. Because I was slower than him, I got to leave around 40 secs before he did. I had two advantages over him, I was a stronger runner up hill, and I knew the Mt Albert area better than him.

Turns out I had another advantage; I could follow directions, and he couldn't, and he got lost.... so, I'm the Auckland Presbyterian Harriers Club Colts Road Handicap Champion of 1984!!!!
It’s like that time that Kevin Barry beat Holyfield at the olympics

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back