• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

NZWarriors.com
Wasn’t he national party politician?
No, that was a neighbour of ours when I was a kid, Les Gandar, who was an Education Minister in one of Muldoon's governments. He went on to become the High Commissioner in London for a few years. I think he died in the early to mid 90's.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
No, that was a neighbour of ours when I was a kid, Les Gandar, who was an Education Minister in one of Muldoon's governments. He went on to become the High Commissioner in London for a few years. I think he died in the early to mid 90's.

He was the one that passed his bit of wisdom on to you wasn’t he that national comes in and sorts things out?

OKAY. ONE LAST TIME. The article you posted Marv - YOU - has a link to the Dom Post article, also with the figures above, figures for the total delivery of all infrastructure, of which the bike rack, which is what you righties are complaining about in the first place, comes in at 136000 - AS QUOTED FROM THE ARTICLE, AS CLEARLY STATED.

Have a great night everyone.
Both can be true, it could be a waste of money due to incompetent budgeting, but also the Taxpayers Union's only interest in it is to generate rage to harvest right wing reactionary votes. These Wellingtonians are easy to stir up just by mentioning bicycles apparently.

Last edited:
He was the one that passed his bit of wisdom on to you wasn’t he that national comes in and sorts things out?
I wouldn't exactly call it "wisdom" because he was only considering the economic side of things.... IMO, National too often has a slash and burn attitude to social issues to say they "sorted things out" like he thought.

A party that would get my vote for life is one with a social conscience, financial prudence, environmental concerns, considered the consequences of their policies on everyone (and not just to appeal to their core voters) and allowed people the freedom to get on with things.

Which is probably why I've voted Labour (despite what some on here say/believe) most of my life... but have voted for others (once Tory, TOP and the early days Māori Party) when I feel they've strayed too far from the above.

I wouldn't exactly call it "wisdom" because he was only considering the economic side of things.... IMO, National too often has a slash and burn attitude to social issues to say they "sorted things out" like he thought.

A party that would get my vote for life is one with a social conscience, financial prudence, environmental concerns, considered the consequences of their policies on everyone (and not just to appeal to their core voters) and allowed people the freedom to get on with things.

Which is probably why I've voted Labour (despite what some on here say/believe) most of my life... but have voted for others (once Tory, TOP and the early days Māori Party) when I feel they've strayed too far from the above.
Too much corruption for that kind of utopia to happen, sweet summer child

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

I’ve just found it really interesting the silence of many that were so critical of the previous government in what have been some pretty unpopular decisions since taking office. MaybeTop8 perhaps paints a bit of a target on himself sometimes but it almost comes across as there’s an effort to shout him down times when there’s a good portion of society concerned with the direction we’re taking as were concerned of the previous administration. So much more bipartisanship needed to coexist because politics has become so polarising, especially when it has such a bearing in our everyday lives. I’m interested to hear national say more cross party support is needed on issues and infrastructure and agree, but I don’t agree that it’s expected of only your ideas

It’s always been in my mind of your story, I guess because a workmate once told me that he voted for David Seymour because he saw him in a racing car and he likes racing cars. It just reminded me of the naivety of politics, but alas you’re a labour supporter so I apologise for my assumption

Too much corruption for that kind of utopia to happen, sweet summer child
Where I think you're wrong calling things corruption, I'd really like to see some maturity in NZ politics where, while they're never going to agree on everything, Labour and National actually work together on things to insure we don't have such big "slash and burn" after a change of government.

Why couldn't Red Chris get on to the phone to Blue Chris and say that they've received a report and they're considering changing the names of government departments from English to Māori so we don't have the expense of changing everything from English to Māori and then back again when instead, if they'd been mature enough to agree to using a combination of both, and say let KO decide if it wanted to be called Kāinga Ora - Housing NZ or Housing Aotearoa- Kāinga Ora.... or whichever way they liked as long as it had both.

But, instead there's now an extremely unnecessary division occurred (including the Māori Party talking about blood on the streets) and expense which really didn't need too.

We've had the expense of a report into KO which didn't need to happen... everyone knew what it was going to say. But, the previous government wasn't immune from this. Who didn't expect a report into the richest families was going to say they weren't having capital gains taxed? Who believed Robinson when he said the report wouldn't be used to design a way to tax capital income?

Instead of completely dumping the SmokeFree legislation, keep the things that looked the best parts of it.

Changing the Brightline from ten years to two years was a step too far... five years would have been better.

It's a pity that the previous government hadn't shared any details of the cost overruns of the ferry project with National.... that would have given them time to look at alternatives instead of just ditching the project when nothing else was in place.

Like I said....I don't think it's corruption as much as a lack of maturity amongst our politicians.

Where I think you're wrong calling things corruption, I'd really like to see some maturity in NZ politics where, while they're never going to agree on everything, Labour and National actually work together on things to insure we don't have such big "slash and burn" after a change of government.

Why couldn't Red Chris get on to the phone to Blue Chris and say that they've received a report and they're considering changing the names of government departments from English to Māori so we don't have the expense of changing everything from English to Māori and then back again when instead, if they'd been mature enough to agree to using a combination of both, and say let KO decide if it wanted to be called Kāinga Ora - Housing NZ or Housing Aotearoa- Kāinga Ora.... or whichever way they liked as long as it had both.

But, instead there's now an extremely unnecessary division occurred (including the Māori Party talking about blood on the streets) and expense which really didn't need too.

We've had the expense of a report into KO which didn't need to happen... everyone knew what it was going to say. But, the previous government wasn't immune from this. Who didn't expect a report into the richest families was going to say they weren't having capital gains taxed? Who believed Robinson when he said the report wouldn't be used to design a way to tax capital income?

Instead of completely dumping the SmokeFree legislation, keep the things that looked the best parts of it.

Changing the Brightline from ten years to two years was a step too far... five years would have been better.

It's a pity that the previous government hadn't shared any details of the cost overruns of the ferry project with National.... that would have given them time to look at alternatives instead of just ditching the project when nothing else was in place.

Like I said....I don't think it's corruption as much as a lack of maturity amongst our politicians.
In the financial climate we’re in, did changing the names of governmental departments need to be prioritised as they were?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
In the financial climate we’re in, did changing the names of governmental departments need to be prioritised as they were?
Exactly, it was only because either or both NZ First and ACT demanded it. Just a simple compromise solution with the two major parties would have let the minor ones (ACT, NZF and the Maori Party) know this is what both of us had agreed to and we're not changing it to suit any of your core voters who only want to have Maori or English.

It's not really that hard.

Damn, my butt is getting sore sitting on this fence!!!

Exactly, it was only because either or both NZ First and ACT demanded it. Just a simple compromise solution with the two major parties would have let the minor ones (ACT, NZF and the Maori Party) know this is what both of us had agreed to and we're not changing it to suit any of your core voters who only want to have Maori or English.

It's not really that hard.

Damn, my butt is getting sore sitting on this fence!!!
With the portion of votes distributed across the three parties, isn’t it a bit weak to pander to them so much?

It’s always been in my mind of your story, I guess because a workmate once told me that he voted for David Seymour because he saw him in a racing car and he likes racing cars. It just reminded me of the naivety of politics, but alas you’re a labour supporter so I apologise for my assumption
My old man nearly disowned me when he found out I wasn't going to follow the "family line" and vote National but actually who I thought would be best for the country and not just me (or the farming community). I think it nearly killed him when I told him I'd voted for Aunty Helen!!!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
My old man nearly disowned me when he found out I wasn't going to follow the "family line" and vote National but actually who I thought would be best for the country and not just me (or the farming community). I think it nearly killed him when I told him I'd voted for Aunty Helen!!!
Yeah I’m from a family of national voters. Some farmers and even they’re against the reinstatement of live export shipping. Didn’t change their vote though I wouldn’t think?

Definitely is.... but if there's one thing Winnie knows what to do that's play the MMP game and get what he wants.... and it seems Seymour is a fast learner. I just hope it doesn't cause too much damage.
Pretty sharp alright that pair, are they behind the changing of governmental departments names? Winston gets his smoking change of direction too? Seymour gets his first reading of treaty principles bill? What major decisions have national made? Just the scrapping of ferries? Luxon could have popped and seen where they got up to last week in South Korea

Pretty sharp alright that pair, are they behind the changing of governmental departments? Winston gets his smoking change of direction too? Seymour gets his first reading of treaty principles bill? What major decisions have national made? Just the scrapping of ferries? Luxon could have popped and seen where they got up to last week in South Korea
Did you read how MFA said that it was going to be a long diplomatic process informing the South Korean government of the cancellation of the ferries, and then did it by text. Amateur hour stuff!!!!

Did you read how MFA said that it was going to be a long diplomatic process informing the South Korean government of the cancellation of the ferries, and then did it by text. Amateur hour stuff!!!!
I did see that his security sounded very prominent over there. Guess you can’t blame him with some of the random things to happen in the political world in the previous few years, but I wonder if his decision to scrap those ferries was in his mind too? Probably a real loss for the company constructing them

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back