• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

TeamList Warriors vs Eels - [Round 22, 2024]

Warriors vs Eels

Warriors

Kickoff In:

Go Media Stadium

Friday
Night
20:00

Eels

Team Lists

What if SJ comes in and: runs sideways and drops the ball off on the inside 70% of the time, goes to the line and then throws a hospital pass short ball that gets dropped 10% of the time, and for the remaining 20% kicks to the same spot in front of the goal line, while we wait for the other team to catch so we can tackle them a couple of metres out from their line?

I hope he comes back better, but it feels like that's pretty much what we've seen from him this season. Hopefully that kind of play was just injury related, and the break has done him well.

I'm actually quite happy to see the CHT/SJ combo. They have only had the one chance when Metcalfe went down injured. Stats/results-wise CHT has done a good job at #6 this year:

CombosHalvesGPW - L - DPD
1SJ + LM31 - 2 - 00
2SJ + CHT11 - 0 - 08
3SJ + TMM81 - 6 - 1-91
4TMM + CNK11 - 0 - 02
5TMM + CHT64 - 2 - 059
19-22
IndividualsHalvesGPW - L - DPD
1SJ123 - 8 - 1-75
2LM31 - 2 - 00
3TMM156 - 8 - 1-32
4CHT65 - 2 - 067
5CNK11 - 0 - 02
37-38

• CHTs only two losses playing in the halves are: the 1 point loss against the Bulldogs, where we should have been awarded a penalty in front before Golden Point - and the 2 point loss to Canberra, where CHT should have at least tied the game if not won it with a conversion or two. Small things that should have gone our way and he would have had an undefeated 7 win record.
  • TMM basically has the same results as CHT as a #7, but as a #6 the results are woeful.
  • SJ hasn't won a game since Round 5 vs Souths (April 5th), when we looked bloody good. I hope for everyone's sake this statistic will change this weekend.
Selections this year have been pretty conservative, so I'm kind of surprised they went with the relatively untested combo of CHT/SJ. Looking at results it's definitely the option I was hoping for (provided SJ is back to 100% health).

NZWarriors.com
Yes in the game that is what would happen. I was more meaning why have him in the reserves. Assuming it's if either CHT or SJ pull out during the week by somehow getting injured. Not naming him in cup kind of suggests that he won't play at all this weekend unless needed in first grade and we don't really have anyone else that could cover otherwise.
Yeah great points. SJ Achilles might be smoke and mirrors and not actually ready

What if SJ comes in and: runs sideways and drops the ball off on the inside 70% of the time, goes to the line and then throws a hospital pass short ball that gets dropped 10% of the time, and for the remaining 20% kicks to the same spot in front of the goal line, while we wait for the other team to catch so we can tackle them a couple of metres out from their line?

I hope he comes back better, but it feels like that's pretty much what we've seen from him this season. Hopefully that kind of play was just injury related, and the break has done him well.

I'm actually quite happy to see the CHT/SJ combo. They have only had the one chance when Metcalfe went down injured. Stats/results-wise CHT has done a good job at #6 this year:

CombosHalvesGPW - L - DPD
1SJ + LM31 - 2 - 00
2SJ + CHT11 - 0 - 08
3SJ + TMM81 - 6 - 1-91
4TMM + CNK11 - 0 - 02
5TMM + CHT64 - 2 - 059
19-22
IndividualsHalvesGPW - L - DPD
1SJ123 - 8 - 1-75
2LM31 - 2 - 00
3TMM156 - 8 - 1-32
4CHT65 - 2 - 067
5CNK11 - 0 - 02
37-38

• CHTs only two losses playing in the halves are: the 1 point loss against the Bulldogs, where we should have been awarded a penalty in front before Golden Point - and the 2 point loss to Canberra, where CHT should have at least tied the game if not won it with a conversion or two. Small things that should have gone our way and he would have had an undefeated 7 win record.
  • TMM basically has the same results as CHT as a #7, but as a #6 the results are woeful.
  • SJ hasn't won a game since Round 5 vs Souths (April 5th), when we looked bloody good. I hope for everyone's sake this statistic will change this weekend.
Selections this year have been pretty conservative, so I'm kind of surprised they went with the relatively untested combo of CHT/SJ. Looking at results it's definitely the option I was hoping for (provided SJ is back to 100% health).
Also interesting to note the teams played and the results with TMM at 7 versus SJ at 7 as the dominant playmaker. Quite a disparity in the quality of opposition (and the make up of our own team in those games with players out)

What does Bunty have to do to get into this team? A bench of Bunty, Ale and Leka would have been fire. Other than that, can't complain about this time. If we don't get this done against an eels team without Moses, we really don't deserve to be in the finals conversation anyway.
Pretty obvious Bunty is not a coach favourite.
I d like to see Bunty move to another club where he would be valued rather than discarded.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
The discarding of Ale and Bunty is something that I find really really disappointing.
I should go back and watch a replay of that Dolphins game.
Ford and Jazz should be rotated with Bunty and Ale.
It seems Webster is allergic to moving some guys down to Nsw cup and just plays them regardless of form.
Why are we pay Ale and Bunty relative big bucks to sit around a lot of the time warming a reserve for reserves number.
I m sure Benji would use Bunty and Ale.

Pretty much a make or break week for us. The draw has put the 4 teams ahead of us against 4 of the top 5 sides. Could potentially end the week only 1 point outside the top 8 with a bye in hand and 2 games against 2 of those 4 teams.

Need to get the win and hope for some positive results going our way.

Having said that, it makes me a little physically sick to say I'll be supporting the Roosters, Storm, Panthers and Dogs this weekend.

The discarding of Ale and Bunty is something that I find really really disappointing.
I should go back and watch a replay of that Dolphins game.
Ford and Jazz should be rotated with Bunty and Ale.
It seems Webster is allergic to moving some guys down to Nsw cup and just plays them regardless of form.
Why are we pay Ale and Bunty relative big bucks to sit around a lot of the time warming a reserve for reserves number.
I m sure Benji would use Bunty and Ale.
I agree. Ford and Jazz are very replaceable, and it's a bit odd how little game time the other two have had.

Pretty sure you could swap in Ale and Bunty and get a similar result, but with the benefit of giving more experience to Ale (who probably has the least known potential of the four). He's shown some good energy in his limited playing time, so I thought deserved another look.

As others are saying, it probably would help the whole squad to rotate players in and out where you can. A few of our players looked like they were playing busted, and then ended up properly injured. If you trusted the 'next man up' plan, then you could rest players every so often and avoid that. Lots of injuries this year in the NRL and this is probably one of the best years for our club's depth, so would be a good time to try it.

Saw Webby interview about being more aggressive on defence this week... To me that's a good sign he wants the boys to make a charge up the ladder.

I know the well coached teams start going up a notch about now. Bennett and Sheens were good at it.. let their teams flounder for the first 2/3s of the comp but still be within striking distance, then hit them up with a Question.. Do you boys want to win the comp? If yes then this is how you do it from now on... by then they know who they play to get there and likely who they'll meet in the finals. The focus is only on a small number of teams which means pick apart the flaws well in advance..

Webbys still young in his career but I believe this will be a good learning curve hope we do well...

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Fellas, can we please stop with the Bunty stuff. Especially replacing Ford.

Bunty has no post contact meters, and barely any meters in him at all.
Bunty's played 9 times this year and made over 100m once, while Ford has passed 100m 11 out of 19 times this year.
Fun fact, Ford's first game playing prop in first grade EVER he managed to run for more meters than Bunty ever has in a game.

Ford has really only played 2 full years of NRL and is still on the improve, where Buntys stats have been slowly getting worst the last 4 years.

Ale on the other hand....should have been in the team the last 8 or so rounds!

Bunty's played 9 times this year and made over 100m once, while Ford has passed 100m 11 out of 19 times this year.
Fun fact, Ford's first game playing prop in first grade EVER he managed to run for more meters than Bunty ever has in a game.

Ford has really only played 2 full years of NRL and is still on the improve, where Buntys stats have been slowly getting worst the last 4 years.

Also Ford is apparently a fitness freak which might be a good example for the young guys

Saw Webby interview about being more aggressive on defence this week... To me that's a good sign he wants the boys to make a charge up the ladder.

I know the well coached teams start going up a notch about now. Bennett and Sheens were good at it.. let their teams flounder for the first 2/3s of the comp but still be within striking distance, then hit them up with a Question.. Do you boys want to win the comp? If yes then this is how you do it from now on... by then they know who they play to get there and likely who they'll meet in the finals. The focus is only on a small number of teams which means pick apart the flaws well in advance..

Webbys still young in his career but I believe this will be a good learning curve hope we do well...
Good way to look at it especially if we can somehow pull it off. Results wise I reckon we peaked around RD 19/20 last year with back to back 40 points on the board vs Eels and Sharks.

Then a couple grinding wins against bottom 8 teams to wrap up the regular season but we did seem to be a bit off at times.

We’d all prefer to be in 8 at this point of the season but how good would it be if we can start to string some performances together, go up to the level we can and see where it could take us!

Minutes and metres
Errors
Tackle efficency
Sure Ford plays lot more minutes
Sure Ford makes a lot more errors
And who has the highest tackle efficency

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back