Warriors

Kickoff In:

Go Media Stadium

Saturday
Afternoon
17:00

Broncos

Team Lists

NRL: NZ Warriors keep steady ship against Brisbane Broncos, despite record-equalling defeat​

25/06/2024

NZ Warriors coach Andrew Webster has refrained from wielding the axe on his embarrassed team, as they try to bounce back from a record-equalling defeat to face Brisbane Broncos at soldout Go Media Stadium on Saturday.
The Auckland NRL side were ambushed by bottom-of-the-table Gold Coast Titans, as they stumbled to a 66-6 loss that has jeopardised their hopes of returning to the playoffs.
Webster has responded by naming a line-up featuring potentially five changes from last week.

"After the game, I got asked what would I do for selection this week," he reflected. "If I kept every single player accountable, we'd have a whole new 17, because I don't think one player was happy with their performance on the weekend - some were a lot worse than others.
"I don't think there was one player proud of what they produced. There were some tough conversations and some hard vision they had to watch back."
Webster warned there would be natural changes, with winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak returning from suspension, and State-of-Origin forwards Kurt Capewell and Mitch Barnett also named to back up three days later. Injured half Shaun Johnson has been ruled out at least a month.
Centre Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, half Te Maire Martin and second-rower Maratah Niukore were all placed on report for dangerous tackles against the Titans, but all were punishable by fines.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...assing-blowout-against-gold-coast-titans.html
"If there's anyone I don't feel formwise, I'm happy to make that decision," said Webster. "Right now, I think there will be natural changes anyway."
Chanel Harris-Tavita returns to the starting side to replace Johnson, with back-up hooker Freddy Lussick added to the interchange.
Webster admits the result represents the lowest point of his young head-coaching career so far.
"We haven't dished that up... we haven't even looked like dishing that up the whole time," he said. "I knew one day in my career this moment would come, unless I'm one of the greatest coaches of alltime, like Craig Bellamy.

"He's probably never faced a day like that, but I think every coach does and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"It was hard to watch and hard to take, but it's also not about me. It's not about how I feel, my job is to make the players better and I have to take ownership around that."
Last year's beaten finalists, Brisbane sit three points ahead of the Warriors on the competition table, just inside the top-eight playoff contenders.

Warriors: 1-Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, 2-Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 3-Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, 4-Adam Pompey, 5-Marcelo Montoya, 6-Chanel Harris-Tavita, 7-Te Maire Martin, 8-Addin Fonua-Blake, 9-Wayde Egan, 10-Jackson Ford, 11-Marata Niukore, 12-Mitch Barnett, 13-Tohua Harris
Interchange: 14-Freddy Lussick, 15-Dylan Walker, 16-Jazz Tevaga, 17-Kurt Capewell, 18-Tom Ale, 20-Jacob Laban, 21-Ed Kosi, 22-Taine Tuaupiki, 23-Moala Graham-Taufa
Join Newshub at 5pm Saturday for live updates of the Warriors v Broncos NRL game

Yeah, had a bunch of friendly "Up the Wahs" this year and last year wearing my Welly Warriors top to various cricket & football matches... even had a guy ask me where he can get one (I told him he'd probably have to get in a time machine to 10 years ago whenever it was released :ROFLMAO: )

Still looking forward to wearing it again for the Eels game in August I'm coming up for, hoping we don't repeat our "last team on the table" performances that we've already had multiple times this year!
Love that jersey- wish they had a Canterbury one for when they play in chch.

NRL: NZ Warriors keep steady ship against Brisbane Broncos, despite record-equalling defeat​

25/06/2024

NZ Warriors coach Andrew Webster has refrained from wielding the axe on his embarrassed team, as they try to bounce back from a record-equalling defeat to face Brisbane Broncos at soldout Go Media Stadium on Saturday.
The Auckland NRL side were ambushed by bottom-of-the-table Gold Coast Titans, as they stumbled to a 66-6 loss that has jeopardised their hopes of returning to the playoffs.
Webster has responded by naming a line-up featuring potentially five changes from last week.

"After the game, I got asked what would I do for selection this week," he reflected. "If I kept every single player accountable, we'd have a whole new 17, because I don't think one player was happy with their performance on the weekend - some were a lot worse than others.
"I don't think there was one player proud of what they produced. There were some tough conversations and some hard vision they had to watch back."
Webster warned there would be natural changes, with winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak returning from suspension, and State-of-Origin forwards Kurt Capewell and Mitch Barnett also named to back up three days later. Injured half Shaun Johnson has been ruled out at least a month.
Centre Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, half Te Maire Martin and second-rower Maratah Niukore were all placed on report for dangerous tackles against the Titans, but all were punishable by fines.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...assing-blowout-against-gold-coast-titans.html
"If there's anyone I don't feel formwise, I'm happy to make that decision," said Webster. "Right now, I think there will be natural changes anyway."
Chanel Harris-Tavita returns to the starting side to replace Johnson, with back-up hooker Freddy Lussick added to the interchange.
Webster admits the result represents the lowest point of his young head-coaching career so far.
"We haven't dished that up... we haven't even looked like dishing that up the whole time," he said. "I knew one day in my career this moment would come, unless I'm one of the greatest coaches of alltime, like Craig Bellamy.

"He's probably never faced a day like that, but I think every coach does and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"It was hard to watch and hard to take, but it's also not about me. It's not about how I feel, my job is to make the players better and I have to take ownership around that."
Last year's beaten finalists, Brisbane sit three points ahead of the Warriors on the competition table, just inside the top-eight playoff contenders.

Warriors: 1-Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, 2-Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 3-Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, 4-Adam Pompey, 5-Marcelo Montoya, 6-Chanel Harris-Tavita, 7-Te Maire Martin, 8-Addin Fonua-Blake, 9-Wayde Egan, 10-Jackson Ford, 11-Marata Niukore, 12-Mitch Barnett, 13-Tohua Harris
Interchange: 14-Freddy Lussick, 15-Dylan Walker, 16-Jazz Tevaga, 17-Kurt Capewell, 18-Tom Ale, 20-Jacob Laban, 21-Ed Kosi, 22-Taine Tuaupiki, 23-Moala Graham-Taufa
Join Newshub at 5pm Saturday for live updates of the Warriors v Broncos NRL game

Bellamy got belted by Penrith and Brisbane last year I believe, not 60 points but still, lol

25/06/2024

Very cogent thoughts from the coach.

And he was shit before he left, and he was shit in rugby. Most overrated player ever.

You and I were singing from the same song sheet about RTS in his last stint on the pre-Turk version of the site. His effort, metreage, and shimmy made people blind to his limitations, and blind to the fact that all his exploits weren't actually moving the needle for the team in a way that impacted the result of games. He wasn't providing the link play need in a modern day fullback. When Reece Walsh arrived he was awful on the wing, and had had a pretty average season all round at the back too with a lot of uncharacteristic errors.

I was optimistic that he had learnt a new set of complimentary skills in union that would make him a more complete player, but he is the same, it is laid bare at centre. He is the most blinkered player I have seen get so many plaudits. For someone that role models team first, everything changes with the ball in his hands, because a tunnel vision comes and he is often oblivious to his team until he has run out of options with the ball. Add all of this to the fact that he didn't really have a place to fit in the squad, and it has been a bit of a stinker. This sucks for him, because he hasn't put himself on a pedestal, it is the NRL hype train that has done that.

I would have him as my number one overrated NRL superstar in the last decade, and it is an opinion I have had for many years. Solid fullback, great effort player, but a questionable Warriors superstar. I guess if we consider the ability of a player to create something out of nothing as being what makes a superstar then I could agree with an asterisk. He had some good years with us when he and pre-Sharks Johnson combined. SJ could generate, RTS could feed off the back of it.

Dally M doesn't mean too much, if you take into account that he was a player who was given a huge role in an underperforming team. He made a lot of hit ups and metres, but most were fairly empty stats. You run twice a set and make 200m a game in a team with no stars and a weak sauce forward pack and you win the Dally M points by default. Yes, he seemed to pull the team along, but that is kind of his identity as a player. "I'll do it," rather than "we'll do it."

Watch his career highlights. Beautiful to watch, but 95% individual.

On the wing for the Roosters he was otherworldly with those ridiculously fast feet and the lithe agility.

Last edited:
You and I were singing from the same song sheet about RTS in his last stint on the pre-Turk version of the site. His effort, metreage, and shimmy made people blind to his limitations, and blind to the fact that all his exploits weren't actually moving the needle for the team in a way that impacted the result of games. He wasn't providing the link play need in a modern day fullback. When Reece Walsh arrived he was awful on the wing, and had had a pretty average season all round at the back too with a lot of uncharacteristic errors.

I was optimistic that he had learnt a new set of complimentary skills in union that would make him a more complete player, but he is the same, it is laid bare at centre. He is the most blinkered player I have seen get so many plaudits. For someone that role models team first, everything changes with the ball in his hands, because a tunnel vision comes and he is often oblivious to his team until he has run out of options with the ball. Add all of this to the fact that he didn't really have a place to fit in the squad, and it has been a bit of a stinker. This sucks for him, because he hasn't put himself on a pedestal, it is the NRL hype train that has done that.

I would have him as my number one overrated NRL superstar in the last decade, and it is an opinion I have had for many years. Solid fullback, great effort player, but a questionable Warriors superstar. I guess if we consider the ability of a player to create something out of nothing as being what makes a superstar then I could agree with an asterisk. He had some good years with us when he and pre-Sharks Johnson combined. SJ could generate, RTS could feed off the back of it.

Dally M doesn't mean too much, if you take into account that he was a player who was given a huge role in an underperforming team. He made a lot of hit ups and metres, but most were fairly empty stats. You run twice a set and make 200m a game in a team with no stars and a weak sauce forward pack and you win the Dally M points by default. Yes, he seemed to pull the team along, but that is kind of his identity as a player. "I'll do it," rather than "we'll do it."

Watch his career highlights. Beautiful to watch, but 95% individual.

On the wing for the Roosters he was otherworldly with those ridiculously fast feet and the lithe agility.
Far more of an insightful post than my on-the-run effort earlier in the day - which to be honest I now feel guilty over after reading SJ’s comments today about online criticism.

Haas, Walsh and Carrigan are being rested.
Screenshot_20240627_171817_X.jpg

They can replace Walsh with cobbo or sailor who killed us last year but haas and patty are massive outs.
We’re in to $1.83 favorites now which is kinda crazy considering what happened a few days ago.
We have a good record of winning the week after 50+ pt blowouts. Usually close games.

I want us to bring the same intensity and sting in defence we showed against melbourne minus the stupid errors and shit discipline. Anything less is a meh.

Back