22 S. Sorensen 0 0 0 0 1 0 21 2 0 4 0 0 0m 40m 1 0
17 M. Geyer 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

Rate the Match

• A++++

Votes: 126 84.6%
  • A++

Votes: 23 15.4%

• Total voters
I am merely just stating/expressing my opinion /POV of how I see and understand the game. Im not a league player and have never played a game in my life but have been watching for quite a long time. I don't claim I'm right in what I say. We are all entitled to our own views for which I will not get offended. At the end of the day we all just want our team to do well.

I am merely just stating/expressing my opinion /POV of how I see and understand the game. Im not a league player and have never played a game in my life but have been watching for quite a long time. I don't claim I'm right in what I say. We are all entitled to our own views for which I will not get offended. At the end of the day we all just want our team to do well.
Argue the point not the person. Sheesh we can even disagree when we win. Have your say. Everybody

Had a few so don’t want to attempt to google it in case i mistype and arrive to a naughty site lmao but is Webby the first out of his former assistants to beat him? Could explain why he was more dark about the loss than usual perhaps? Just my thoughts 🤷‍♂️

It is a talking point with Harris. I really don't know if he would have made us a better outfit yesterday. The only problem I have is we are making compensations for tohu at prop when Walker is on.

We are worried about how to unlock RTS when he should just play his role at centre. Why do we need to reinvent the wheel and make him into something he's probably not just to fit him in?
Now that Chanze has had that half role, I believe he should move out to left centre outside TMM. He is a better defender than Pompey and would finish off attacking moves just as well.
TMM has shown that he can set up tries from 6 so should get more chances once SJ returns. Now that Taime has set himself up at fullback, I see no reason to replace him

The sin bin was quite crucial in the end. Gave us the opportunity to take the lead with two well taken tries that gave us a boost of confidence and belief just when we needed it. Putting that to the side, I do wonder what the difference was in this performance.
I take your point about our centres being more north to south but tbh i dont think there was anything too fundamentally different to what we've been doing (or trying to do). Yes we offloaded a bit more than usual but nothing to the point of "the shackles are off its Warrior ball time", Our 4 tries all came off the back of structure......using pretty much the same shift plays we've seen before - options of hitting a lead runner or sweeper out the back. But yes we definitely made the most of that sin binning,

But generally we were playing the same (increasingly unpopular for many it seems) "process" game that has always been Webbys plan. Yardage then a kick, pressure through your defence, win the territory battle, play the odds with the more times you get in that red zone the more chance you give yourself of scoring.

So if the tactics didnt change what was different that made our tactics more effective this week than it has been for ages? For mine (and as ive stated in other threads) we had our highest completion rate in 5 weeks and our lowest error rate.......this meant we were able to sustain pressure with ball in hand. Combine this with our best defensive effort (the first time we hit a 90% tackle efficiency rate in 5 weeks) and also an opposition who quite frankly we're doing what we've usually done gifting us possession and territory through an uncharacteristically high error rate and lack of discipline.....all adds up.

Now i guess the question is how much did the change of personnel influence this? And this is where i think people need to be careful before wanting ingrained wholesale changes based on this performance and where the Makasene "unsustainable" post from another thread is particulary relevant. Im more of a just wait and see how things play out before id commit to one particular course of action.

I think if anything this game showed that Webbys "process" is the process to follow (yes with a few tweaks and variations needed).....and that this process (or any tbh) heavily relies on having good defence and low errors, and that those are the controllables we need to hit each week to give ourselves the best chance of winning.

Last edited:
He's not the only one I have seen on here either.

There are some really good posters on here that you can have a great discussion with regardless of whether you have a different opinion or not.

Regardless of your previous or current involvement in the game or even lack of it, why does that make an opinion or view or thought any more or less valid? And if it is something you don't agree with or think isn't right, surely discussing it and providing a worthwhile counter point or ignoring it is far better than name calling or posting shit that neither adds to the topic or adds to the forum.

'You haven't got a clue' or 'I bet you've never played the game' or 'insert non clever name calling here' is really a pathetic response to posters who are on a public forum sharing their views, thoughts and opinions. Let alone assuming those posters aren't involved in some way. Add to that, there are plenty involved in the game who have no clue also.

@Wrighty who is new to league, no flames, has some very astute observations. Some quite weird ones too though!

@MrFrankWhite I find fairly logical and I can 99% of the time follow his thinking of why he has a certain opinion on a player or issue.

Neither of these posters I agree with on everything but I certainly appreciate their posts and contributions. They also have life experiences that they can translate across to this great game and club we follow.

Sorry for the rant, but I think some posters need to pull their heads in and either contribute better, ignore posters that don't add anything or aren't worth responding too and/or accept that other people are doing the same.
Theres some brilliant knowledgeable people here and i think sup42 deserves a mention too, i always enjoy reading his opinions and sermons

Pompey on the first minute try.... He was marking two players. One was his and the other was Raine's.
He stayed on his man as long as he could and then had to cover Dylan Edwards who created the extra man and Taine only got there when Edwards was over the line. Therefore even though Im not Pompey's biggest fan but on that one the onus is on Taine. Watch it in slow Mo if you disagree and let me know what you see.
He has many times been found out in missing his man. Strong on attack but weak on defence (except when he took out the Panther's no 6 - that was shades of Francis Meli)

I take your point about our centres being more north to south but tbh i dont think there was anything too fundamentally different to what we've been doing. Yes we offloaded a bit more than usual but nothing to the point of "the shackles are off its Warrior ball time", Our 4 tries all came off the back of structure......using pretty much the same shift plays we've seen before - options of hitting a lead runner or sweeper out the back. But yes we definitely made the most of that sin binning,

But generally we were playing the same (increasingly unpopular for many it seems) "process" game that has always been Webbys plan. Yardage then a kick, pressure through your defence, win the territory battle, play the odds with the more times you get in that red zone the more chance you give yourself of scoring.

So if the tactics didnt change what was different that made our tactics more effective this week than it has been for ages? For mine (and as ive stated in other threads) we had our highest completion rate in 5 weeks and our lowest error rate.......this meant we were able to sustain pressure with ball in hand. Combine this with our best defensive effort (the first time we hit a 90% tackle efficiency rate in 5 weeks) and also an opposition who quite frankly we're doing what we've usually done gifting us possession and territory through an uncharacteristically high error rate and lack of discipline.....all adds up.

Now i guess the question is how much did the change of personnel influence this? And this is where i think people need to be careful before wanting ingrained wholesale changes based on this performance and where the Makasene "unsustainable" post from another thread is particulary relevant. Im more of a just wait and see how things play out before id commit to one particular course of action.

I think if anything this game showed that Webbys "process" is the process to follow (yes with a few tweaks and variations needed).....and that this process (or any tbh) heavily relies on having good defence and low errors.
There was obvious structure and process there but it felt a lot less predictable than previous games. Perhaps the players we had provided a bit more energy and speed that made it appear that way. It certainly felt more exciting or pleasant to watch than bomb to the right, Berry chase but don't contest, tackle.... And I think Walker provided a big catalyst for a lot of our attack too. Again it didn't feel as robotic as previously. Play to the posts, sweep play right, back to the posts, short ball left etc we seemed to mix it up enough to keep asking the opposition to do some different things than perhaps what they were expecting.

Perhaps that energy and speed put the pressure back on the opposition as well rather than the refs perception of us slowing the ruck down and getting penalized. The other thing that was noticeable were our players fighting to get up once they were tackled, forcing the opposition to move or risk being penalized. Lots of little extra efforts across the park which I guess is perhaps what they were talking about being what they wanted to switch focus to.

We showed really good signs of improvement I thought in that game. It is only one game though as has been said. I don't see why it isn't sustainable though given it's based on the process. It's really whether those inexperienced players can maintain the energy and effort week on week.

Great win but really do need to back it up with another good performance.

He has many times been found out in missing his man. Strong on attack but weak on defence (except when he took out the Panther's no 6 - that was shades of Francis Meli)
I watched the second one too (Tago straight around him) and I reckon his slowness is due to again having to defend two runners. Once he knows he is behind and misses. His only other hopes would be:

1. Roll the dice and take someone
2. Get faster. At reading the play and getting to your man
3. Figure out how to get an extra defender there as fast as the opposition gets their extra.

There was obvious structure and process there but it felt a lot less predictable than previous games. Perhaps the players we had provided a bit more energy and speed that made it appear that way. It certainly felt more exciting or pleasant to watch than bomb to the right, Berry chase but don't contest, tackle.... And I think Walker provided a big catalyst for a lot of our attack too. Again it didn't feel as robotic as previously. Play to the posts, sweep play right, back to the posts, short ball left etc we seemed to mix it up enough to keep asking the opposition to do some different things than perhaps what they were expecting.

Perhaps that energy and speed put the pressure back on the opposition as well rather than the refs perception of us slowing the ruck down and getting penalized. The other thing that was noticeable were our players fighting to get up once they were tackled, forcing the opposition to move or risk being penalized. Lots of little extra efforts across the park which I guess is perhaps what they were talking about being what they wanted to switch focus to.

We showed really good signs of improvement I thought in that game. It is only one game though as has been said. I don't see why it isn't sustainable though given it's based on the process. It's really whether those inexperienced players can maintain the energy and effort week on week.

I think Webby identified a couple of weeks ago (and what seemed obvious to most on here) more variation was needed. Hopefully that 2nd half performance from TMM (cause tbh he was quite ordinary in the first half) gives him the confidence and belief to impose himself more on the game and get that better balance with SJ (altho i quite liked the directness of CNK at 6 too).

I felt Penrith had a lot of unforced errors (probably why Ivan was so pissy in the presser). Agree we do need to back it up. Looks like we're still going to be playing with an injury decimated team, Dont think the Dolphins will turn the ball over as much as Penrith did, so yes will be interesting how we play this. One thing for sure.....if we're kicking to Hammer, we need a flat line of chasers on him.....there's no one in our team catching him!

Big advantage tho, we're at home with an extra player on the field (that crowd)

I watched the second one too (Tago straight around him) and I reckon his slowness is due to again having to defend two runners. Once he knows he is behind and misses. His only other hopes would be:

1. Roll the dice and take someone
2. Get faster. At reading the play and getting to your man
3. Figure out how to get an extra defender there as fast as the opposition gets their extra.
Its no secret Pompeys not the fastest going and that can be exploited. The numbers created arent necessarily his fault but when he either turns inwards or plants himself to take the lead runner he doesnt have the speed to recover that perhaps others might have been able to'for that sweeper out the back.

Its wierd because Montoya normally suffers from Dallinitis and jams in off his man (most times when u dont want him to), but if ever there was a time you wanted your winger jamming in.....that was it on both those tries.

Think that edge may be better off starting with an exaggerated shortened line so Pompeys closer to his 3rd man so all he has to do is slide out (not try and change direction cause he's no chance then)......or failing that our insides working a lot harder to push out.

I thought the TV was on fast forward when we attacked lol, Charnz was frantic and Roache throwing bullets from the rucks, decoy players in motion again and centres running towards holes, someone on TV said Ali changed his angle to receive the pass resulting in the try.

It’s the same fundamental structure but you get different results with Roache giving to CNK at 6 thrashing into the line and Taine taking offloads, than Lussick giving it to Metcalf or TMM running towards the line and CNK backing up

I think it’s unsustainable for youngsters to play at this intensity every week that’s why I prefer to play them until a rest is required before the dip and rotate our injured veterans back in, and share the games for the remainder of the season

Been saying Egan needs to defend like a pussy and just cat fight the opponent props lol, have bodyguards around him, it’s not even benefit vs risk now, it’s whether he will retire soon if this keeps going

I would summarise it as many teams use similar processes. You need processes. But the players ability to action the plan makes it success or fail.

A step faster in attack, a fraction harder effort in the tackle, a bit of randomness to keep the opposition guessing.

If it’s done consistently across a game, the whole outcome can change with the same plan. That’s what we saw in the weekend.

It was interesting when they asked Webster in the press conference about Egan and his history of head knocks. He is either a good actor or was genuinely bemused that the reporter thought there was a significant history. I think every fan on here would say there is a very real worry about Egan and head knocks over the last couple of seasons
I believe Egan is a good actor and any chance he gets he stays down and hobbles off for.a free interchange which make us fans think he’s made of glass.

But to many times he is getting his head in the wrong place and is actually getting smashed.

Back