• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 13/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Sifakula (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
I agree that we have too many centres (Pompey, Berry, CNK, RTS, Ali) and short of halves. My solution is to use Pompey in the halves as a no 6. (He played some junior football there)
Hmmm dont hate that idea…
I think he’d have the skill set for it but not sure he has the personality to be barking orders though.
I’ve always thought his future lies in the backrow.

NZWarriors.com
Harry was loaned to the Tigers as Cameron Smith was Storm's hooker. See how that worked out for the Storm.
If your backlogged then it makes sense, we could have loaned out bunty, and the club could have had an option to keep him also if the club liked what he could do for them, instead of playing cup.

It would also help move players on also you would think?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I agree that we have too many centres (Pompey, Berry, CNK, RTS, Ali) and short of halves. My solution is to use Pompey in the halves as a no 6. (He played some junior football there)
He’d certainly handle it defensively, just would love to see a sample of his ball playing in the role in game. Says he plays a bit there at training and to be honest, I think he’d probably be alright as a bigger Josh Schuster halve type. Never going to be the quickest on the park but reliable

If your backlogged then it makes sense, we could have loaned out bunty, and the club could have had an option to keep him also if the club liked what he could do for them, instead of playing cup.

It would also help move players on also you would think?
Can recall a season or two back that the knights sounded the Warriors out on a loan deal for Zyon Maiu’u to which the Warriors declined. I think there’s a worry that the player might like it a bit too much and keen to stay on

Hmmm dont hate that idea…
I think he’d have the skill set for it but not sure he has the personality to be barking orders though.
I’ve always thought his future lies in the backrow.
When you look at their size and defensive capabilities, Pompey and Berry would probably handle a transition to second row. If Pompey was handy as a halve and able to play second row at a high level, it would certainly lift his utility value to carry on the bench. With his size he could probably handle the middle defensively too at a pinch

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I think we have a playing card on Dylan Brown.
We are in better shape than the Eels are. Somehow we really have to make a case that we are bound for the playoffs in 2025 and that 2024 was not indicative of how good we are. I think if I were recruitment person I would throw overs at Brown to het him here.
Staring into my crystal ball halves are only going to get more scarce once we expand to 18 teams.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Sad if MTG goes, he’s my first drop winger since Monty is leaving, like is he still behind Kosi LOL, geez.

Makes sense if CNK is a centre now, otherwise MGT is 2nd drop for centre and first drop wing unless Kosi is in front of him. 3rd drop centre and behind Kosi on wing, I’d want to pkay super league too

Btw if we get Healey I won’t mind having Egan and Lussick as starting hookers and Healey on the bench, Lussick is fine playing cup when not in the team, and Egan is made of glass

And CHT loses his bench spot meaning he can play full time as 7 at cup to develop his game so he’s not so wild when he plays when TMM is injured

Looks rough for Roach either way. Would still prefer a first drop half signing

Sad if MTG goes, he’s my first drop winger since Monty is leaving, like is he still behind Kosi LOL, geez.

Makes sense if CNK is a centre now, otherwise MGT is 2nd drop for centre and first drop wing unless Kosi is in front of him. 3rd drop centre and behind Kosi on wing, I’d want to pkay super league too

Btw if we get Healey I won’t mind having Egan and Lussick as starting hookers and Healey on the bench, Lussick is fine playing cup when not in the team, and Egan is made of glass

And CHT loses his bench spot meaning he can play full time as 7 at cup to develop his game so he’s not so wild when he plays when TMM is injured

Do they have their eye on Roach as our 4th half
Metcalf
TMM
CHT
Roache
In that order?

Do they have their eye on Roach as our 4th half
Metcalf
TMM
CHT
Roache
In that order?
If that is the case, it is a real worry - Roache looks pretty woeful in the halves for Cup.

For me, he doesn't strike me as a first grade player - is a good NSW Cup hooker - but played a bloody good role and stepped up when asked to do so vs Penrith and Dolphins this year.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If that is the case, it is a real worry - Roache looks pretty woeful in the halves for Cup.

For me, he doesn't strike me as a first grade player - is a good NSW Cup hooker - but played a bloody good role and stepped up when asked to do so vs Penrith and Dolphins this year.
Well we need to magic up a 4th half from somewhere
You take all three of our halves - Metcalf, TMM, CHT - all of them are injury prone and it would be a real surprise to get more than 16 games out of any one of them.

Well hes off your books for as long as the loan. If he comes back you may have more experienced player on your hands to add to depth etc. If hes not then you could loan out again or cut someone or someone comes to the end of their contract and move on he then fits back into your cap. It would require abit of work but can be done.

The idea behind it is to give your development players first grade experience but not on your books or time as you may have top talent in those positions for the next 2-3 years. It means when those players who are starters move on you have a experienced first grader coming back in straight away.

What if Demetric was at the Dragons for the last 2 years and played 20-25 first grade games then comes back next year, is he better prepared to play first grade than what he currently is after just 5 first grade games over the last 2 years? Demetric isnt the perfect example as he would better be served in cup but you know what im getting at.

Reality is it would probably never happen as the players haver most of the power in these contracts eg compassionate grounds but in theory could work to give more players experience wether in NRL or Super League while still being on the clubs books.

A dream scenario is Eli Katoa has been on loan to the storm the last 2 seasons and hes back next year. That would be the dream lol
The worry would be that the loan team doesn’t develop the player properly.

Eg prioritises their own long term prospects like the Dolphins did to our reserve graders over covid.

Then you could be stuck with a contracted played that’s worse than if they stayed at the club. Easier to keep your own destiny in your own hands?

The worry would be that the loan team doesn’t develop the player properly.

Eg prioritises their own long term prospects like the Dolphins did to our reserve graders over covid.
Yeah that’s definitely a concern. It would have to benefit both teams I suppose. The player on loan would have to be almost a certain starter to go out on loan. Maybe monetary incentives around x amount of nrl games as part of the loan etc. In the perfect world MGT would be out on loan somewhere instead he’s looking for a contract in super league. We’ve invested 2-3years in him now someone else will benefit from that development with no return for us. Part of the business of footy I suppose but as a club I would want to keep as many assets available and developing increasing in value as opposed to other teams reaping the rewards of your development.

Is MGT and MTG the same player?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back