• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2025/2026 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract, T = Train & Trial contract

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 2/6
Unconfirmed Top 30 2025: 29/30
Unconfirmed Development 2025: 3/6 (Luke Hanson, per Zero Tackle)

Confirmed Top 30 2026: 13/30
Confirmed Development 2026: 1/6

2026 Gains: Nil
2026 Losses: Nil

Off Contract: Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Ed Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Kalani Going (D), Tanner Stowers-Smith (D), Chanel Harris-Tavita (M), Demitric Sifakula (C)

This thread is solely for Warriors recruitment and retention discussion. Any posts not related to the above will be deleted.

Repeat offenders could have their access to this page limited.

Please be mindful of what you are posting in this thread before clicking the reply button.

Last edited:
Ezra September 14, 2024 at 7:43pm

Hearing we have signed Christian welsh . Announced at end of year once mlb have finished there season

This is off the eels forum yesterday. Could see there still be things going on behind the scenes and broncos are the other team interested. Broncos had to pull out of the race for RCG because of salary cap constraints, Welch would be much cheaper. Also storm assistant Ryles off to eels could see Welch land there?
What the hell do we want a thirty year old prop for

NZWarriors.com
Graham-Taufa potentially moving on is understandable. The thing with having guys with potential in the cup squad is they will want to be in first grade and some point. He's 22 so he will want to play first grade and earn what he can.

We could get him back in a few years as a better player.

Or like some that go over there he could enjoy it and stay there. Some players have moved to Super League and you see comments that they won't last or will be back. They end up having good careers over there winning a lot of silverware.

If he was in the 30. It opens up another spot. If he wasn't it is an opportunity for someone else to move into the NSW Cup squad.

Graham-Taufa potentially moving on is understandable. The thing with having guys with potential in the cup squad is they will want to be in first grade and some point. He's 22 so he will want to play first grade and earn what he can.

Or like some that go over there he could enjoy it and stay there. Some players have moved to Super League and you see comments that they won't last or will be back. They end up having good careers over there winning a lot of silverware.

If he was in the 30. It opens up another spot. If he wasn't it is an opportunity for someone else to move into the NSW Cup squad.
Of who there’s speculation around being Montoya, MGT, Bunty, Ford, you’d have to think they’ve been told that they’ve fallen down the order a bit and first grade minutes are unlikely and if you can find a longer contract then take it. Another likely centre arrives next session also in Kahu Capper

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
If some of these guys leave I'm more interested in who we upgrade to top 30 and developmental than who we could potentially sign.

We're playing the "higher potential for less experience" game and I think Webby wants to start getting experience into these younger guys before too much of the current experience moves on in the next 2-3 years.

If some of these guys leave I'm more interested in who we upgrade to top 30 and developmental than who we could potentially sign.

We're playing the "higher potential for less experience" game and I think Webby wants to start getting experience into these younger guys before too much of the current experience moves on in the next 2-3 years.

I deffo thought that would be the case but I'm baffled that Ale got so little time this year, and both Laban and Halasima could have played a few extra games at the end of the year imo, same as Zyon Maiu’u as he looked good in his very short stint in first grade.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I deffo thought that would be the case but I'm baffled that Ale got so little time this year, and both Laban and Halasima could have played a few extra games at the end of the year imo, same as Zyon Maiu’u as he looked good in his very short stint in first grade.
I can understand Zyon Maiu’u not going back up as he picked up an injury in Cup and then struggled for impact after coming back. Hopefully he is one who can benefit from a solid pre season

Off topic but I wonder if the NRL would ever agree to allow players to be loaned out like how the premier league do? You could send MGT out on loan for a year or 2 then bring him back in once hes developed abit more.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
That would be good for both parties! I like the idea, just look at Harry Grant and his stint at the tigers.

This should really happen.
Could look something like

MGT goes on loan to the storm lets say . One year deal with a second year option if the storm like him and are happy with him. If they like him they can buy off the warriors for a fee if not they can release him back after 2 and we get a potentially 25-40 game experienced player coming back into our club. Just an example of what it could be like, and vice versa.

Could look something like

MGT goes on loan to the storm lets say . One year deal with a second year option if the storm like him and are happy with him. If they like him they can buy off the warriors for a fee if not they can release him back after 2 and we get a potentially 25-40 game experienced player coming back into our club. Just an example of what it could be like, and vice versa.
How do you manage the cap though? What if they go away and you dont want them back (eg the juniors have filled the gap), and you are left having to pay it out

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
How do you manage the cap though? What if they go away and you dont want them back (eg the juniors have filled the gap), and you are left having to pay it out
Well hes off your books for as long as the loan. If he comes back you may have more experienced player on your hands to add to depth etc. If hes not then you could loan out again or cut someone or someone comes to the end of their contract and move on he then fits back into your cap. It would require abit of work but can be done.

The idea behind it is to give your development players first grade experience but not on your books or time as you may have top talent in those positions for the next 2-3 years. It means when those players who are starters move on you have a experienced first grader coming back in straight away.

What if Demetric was at the Dragons for the last 2 years and played 20-25 first grade games then comes back next year, is he better prepared to play first grade than what he currently is after just 5 first grade games over the last 2 years? Demetric isnt the perfect example as he would better be served in cup but you know what im getting at.

Reality is it would probably never happen as the players haver most of the power in these contracts eg compassionate grounds but in theory could work to give more players experience wether in NRL or Super League while still being on the clubs books.

A dream scenario is Eli Katoa has been on loan to the storm the last 2 seasons and hes back next year. That would be the dream lol

I'm liking this, it means we aren't putting our cue in the rack for 2025. Things are happening behind the scenes.

We have too many centres. Ali, Pompey, Berry, and I wouldn't be surprised to see CNK there with RTS at the back at times. Kali up and coming too.

MGT could get a name for himself in the SL if he plays well enough, and still have plenty of years to come back and play in the NRL
I agree that we have too many centres (Pompey, Berry, CNK, RTS, Ali) and short of halves. My solution is to use Pompey in the halves as a no 6. (He played some junior football there)

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back