• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
i relgiously watch him play for harbour and he can not tackle but is great on attack
I see he’s playing fullback for North Harbour yesterday. Only thing I’d have concerns with him on the wing would be if he has the physical nature to be able to take early set hit ups like our current wingers do? Would be a good finisher though and height for aerial as others have said. Could he be seen as a fullback?

Thing I get sick of, especially coming in from other clubs.... is hearing how good they are but totally ignoring the bad habits they have.. I've seen us recruit these duds too often.

I think our recruitment strategists had bad habits of ignoring this too..

There's a reason why other clubs let them go... and up until maybe now, not many of our coaches have been successful in coaching that shit out of them.. (trying to teach an old dog new tricks, I'd say)

Players that have come from prem winning sides are the exception..

Caleb Clarke would be the best signing. He was spotted at RTS’ milestone game, is a massive Souths fan though.

Knowing out luck we’d end up with the inconsistent AJ Lam.
Souths fans were convinced he was heading there. His All Black selection may have changed his mind if there was any truth?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Respectfully, comparing Shaun to alaimalo is apples and oranges. Shaun has been one of the form outside backs across super rugby the last 2-3 years, and many pundits are questioning why he’s not in a black jersey.

Alaimalo hasn’t got a super rugby contract anymore, and his tigers contract was essentially a last ditch effort for elite sport in this side of the world.

Shaun is an a far more elite player
Yeah Shaun is more like a slightly lesser but not by much Will Jordan

There's nothing sub par about the NPC it's one of the best local rugby competitions in the world. If it's that's bad why would we even consider getting players from there?
The only thing sub par is the warriors performance from week to week.
There's more entertaining rugby being played in the npc then iv seen from the warriors all year.
Crowds or not I wish we played with the same heart & dedication as some of the npc teams do
idk, the halfbacks i've seen play this year are not great (so hesitant behind the ruck, either taking a step or a look too many), and tactically no team i've seen in the npc seems on top of their respective games... I don't think the quality is there at the team or coaching level but a few of the individuals might be worth looking at

Only thing I’d have concerns with him on the wing would be if he has the physical nature to be able to take early set hit ups like our current wingers do?
While the ploy of having the back three take the first 3 hit ups off the kick return does have a place I feel like we really on it far too often, too many times the first hit up from a forward is on the 4th tackle and then what, a backline play attacking an un-manipulated defensive line, a kick to be contested by a fatigued winger?
This is not a principle for recruiting wingers..

While the ploy of having the back three take the first 3 hit ups off the kick return does have a place I feel like we really on it far too often, too many times the first hit up from a forward is on the 4th tackle and then what, a backline play attacking an un-manipulated defensive line, a kick to be contested by a fatigued winger?
This is not a principle for recruiting wingers..
While not being principle, it would require a whole new structure as we seem to follow the panthers blueprint of back 5 playing a big role in yardage. As much as errors let us down against manly, we actually threw some decent shape at them in some sets. A lot of our forwards can ball play too so not out of the question that we look at a change in structure as new and younger players come through in different shapes and faster

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
idk, the halfbacks i've seen play this year are not great (so hesitant behind the ruck, either taking a step or a look too many), and tactically no team i've seen in the npc seems on top of their respective games... I don't think the quality is there at the team or coaching level but a few of the individuals might be worth looking at
Youv just described the Warriors.
Agree to disagree brother I think npc has better talent and better coachs then league in NZ atm
I hope it turns around for us and I think slowly it is.

Having had a playing background and subsequent coaching and managing. I see the difference wit how supporters of the two codes differ. In League you have SJ, who I rate as the most naturally gifted talent I have seen, but did not have the early guidence to equip him to guide a team. In Union there was Carlos Spencer, pretty much the same. Both codes need Halves tha provide direction and fuse the team together.

First rule for both codes, pass off the ground and communicate. If executed the ball will always beat the man. You do not need to have brilliant Halves, but you do need smart skilful ones.

While not being principle, it would require a whole new structure as we seem to follow the panthers blueprint of back 5 playing a big role in yardage. As much as errors let us down against manly, we actually threw some decent shape at them in some sets. A lot of our forwards can ball play too so not out of the question that we look at a change in structure as new and younger players come through in different shapes and faster
Siebold made a great comment prior to our game "We play to our strengths, we use our weapons"

You have to play the hand you're dealt.

Siebold made a great comment prior to our game "We play to our strengths, we use our weapons"

You have to play the hand you're dealt.
He also mentioned his game plan was to exploit our back 5 who do a lot of work. Between the back 5’s missed tackles and errors, I’d say they succeeded with their game plan. Forwards were strong as usual but the whole backline was the difference, halves included

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'd love to see Shaun Stevenson in the Warriors squad.

We need to try something different and get rid of Kosi and even Montoya. Setu Tu is also in the squad but won't play 1st grade.
Bizarre how Tu was ungraded for the rest of the season and hasn’t seen any game time. We surely are looking at offloading some our outside backs with it looking like we’re over stocked in this department?

I've noticed how back 3 has become back 5, when will they become the forward pack taking the early hit ups gaining yardage for the backs to live off..

Bizarre how Tu was ungraded for the rest of the season and hasn’t seen any game time. We surely are looking at offloading some our outside backs with it looking like we’re over stocked in this department?
Somehow we're overstocked but a guy like Kosi still gets a bunch of call-ups. Hopefully we get some more genuine wing depth next year rather than relying on converted centres.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back