• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Stevenson turns 28 in November.
Took Warbrick a season in Cup to adjust to League so I'm not sure if it's worth taking a punt on him. Alaimalo, also 28, got thrown in the deep up at the Tigers this year & hasn't had much impact
Younger and more dynamic would be great.
I kind of feel like a robust physical winger would be good. You need to be very abrasive in league. Those hit ups take a special type of fortitude. Your basically getting hunted by the defence.

Signing any Rugby Union player would be a long term solution rather than a quick one, likely 2 pre seasons required and a year of cup. RTS is showing us that in 2024. No point in singing a 28 year old winger in my opinion, unless they were cheap and on a development deal. A Super Rugby level player probably would be cheap if they were in the top 30 NRL squad, but not development contract cheap, which is likely their value for the first season.

Pasikala and Sio Kali look to have great potential, but are not the traditional Warriors winger (Ed Kosi), which is actually nice. Hopefully they continue development and one of them gets a shot next season to take Montoya's wing, he's looking pretty cooked out there in all aspects.

Honestly guys, I can't see us signing any notable players for next season, besides perhaps a Jackson Ford level guy. I'm thinking we'll hold our cash, trust in some of the younger guys for 2025, and look to make a more substantial signing or 2 for 2026.

Stevenson turns 28 in November.
Took Warbrick a season in Cup to adjust to League so I'm not sure if it's worth taking a punt on him. Alaimalo, also 28, got thrown in the deep up at the Tigers this year & hasn't had much impact
Respectfully, comparing Shaun to alaimalo is apples and oranges. Shaun has been one of the form outside backs across super rugby the last 2-3 years, and many pundits are questioning why he’s not in a black jersey.

Alaimalo hasn’t got a super rugby contract anymore, and his tigers contract was essentially a last ditch effort for elite sport in this side of the world.

Shaun is an a far more elite player

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Honestly guys, I can't see us signing any notable players for next season, besides perhaps a Jackson Ford level guy. I'm thinking we'll hold our cash, trust in some of the younger guys for 2025, and look to make a more substantial signing or 2 for 2026.
You cannot hold money over from one year to another. You must spend at least 97.5% of your salary cap.

He and Mitch Barnett’s history might be a roadblock? Would much rather hold onto Jazz if he’s the alternative
So would I but the club doesn't want him. This guy has some rough edges but would give us some mongrel. We seem to have changed Mitch for the better

You cannot hold money over from one year to another. You must spend at least 97.5% of your salary cap.

Yes of course - there are also ways of using this money while still having it available in 2026. Easiest one being a mid season signing, or a little bit of front loading, but I think that's a complicated beast, but there are ways around everything in the salary cap rules.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
We really need to pick up a half from somewhere. With the injury toll we have had this year I would think we would need 4. Not sure who we can get but I have this thought I cannot shake of us playing a Walker/CNK half pairing because the rest are injured.
Agreed and on the note of the injury toll. I really hope that that’s a big part of the end of season review.
I’m not one for blaming injuries but it’s no surprise our team looked so disjointed and lacked cohesion. Especially in the backs the continual forced changes really hurt.

So I hope we review the S&C program, the medics, the trainers etc because we really need to not suffer so many injuries. Maybe we were just unlucky but it needs to be looked into

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
have happened to see a couple of NPC games on tv recently - absolutely miserable crowds and very little general interest it seems - surely our recruitment team could find one or two coachable players from these ranks who are sick of slogging it out in a sub-par competition ? Particularly large locks or outside backs...
There's nothing sub par about the NPC it's one of the best local rugby competitions in the world. If it's that's bad why would we even consider getting players from there?
The only thing sub par is the warriors performance from week to week.
There's more entertaining rugby being played in the npc then iv seen from the warriors all year.
Crowds or not I wish we played with the same heart & dedication as some of the npc teams do

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Caleb Clarke would be the best signing. He was spotted at RTS’ milestone game, is a massive Souths fan though.

Knowing out luck we’d end up with the inconsistent AJ Lam.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back