• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
Yep
Illias will have interest from several.
He would like the look of our forwards and can Webby sell him on our up and coming outside backs and development.
Ilias had no meaningful interest when he was told he was free to go. He was highly spoken if in Juniors but his kicking game was awful in first grade. Add in some suspect defence and I don’t see him being ahead of TMM, Metcalf or CHT

NZWarriors.com
It’s pretty obvious that our back are our problem as opposed to our forwards.

But in regards to the Saifiti and/or Thompson signing. The more I think about it the more I like it…

In regards to outside backs. Who? Who are we going to sign? Realistically. I’m more than happy for next year (or this) to be Montoya and DWZs’ last. I actually think it’s going to be.

Where we could sign Saifiti or Thompson and have an absolutely elite forward pack, dare I say it. The best in the league?

Assuming that TMM and Metcalfe are going to be the halve pairing. Wouldn’t it be a priority to have the best forward pack possible? Obviously I’d rather have Thompson over Saifiti, but I’d take Saifiti at the right price.

8. Barnett/Saifiti
9. Egan
10. JFH
11. Capewell
12. Niukore/Barnett
13. Harris

14. Walker/ Clarke
15. Saifiti/Niukore
16. Sifakula
17. Clarke/Halasima

Go back to a somewhat proper 4 prop rotation.
Tell you what, part of me now wants Walker to leave and we get Clarke. He can cover Hooker and ball player.

Any halve pairing and backline could play behind that.
We already have an elite forward pack, and sit 14th because our backs are average and slow

I see moving RTS to one wing as solving 2 problems at once.

It's a possibility...

But I just can't shake the thought that it will be hard for the coaches not to roll out the red carpet at 1 for him, especially after the disappointment of this year.

They are looking for an improvement and moving him to 1 statistically would achieve that.

Also think CNK to centre this week is an indication of that as well. If CNK was a stone cold lock for the 1 jersey then you either bring Kosi onto the wing and move Montoya to centre or you bring MGT into centre in my eyes.

Moving CNK to centre tells me they want to have a look at him there...

It's a possibility...

But I just can't shake the thought that it will be hard for the coaches not to roll out the red carpet at 1 for him, especially after the disappointment of this year.

They are looking for an improvement and moving him to 1 statistically would achieve that.

Also think CNK to centre this week is an indication of that as well. If CNK was a stone cold lock for the 1 jersey then you either bring Kosi onto the wing and move Montoya to centre or you bring MGT into centre in my eyes.

Moving CNK to centre tells me they want to have a look at him there...
Truth is RTS is a poor centre. His defence is poor at centre and it hasn’t worked and I don’t think it will work. Back to full back, the problem with that is that he doesn’t pass and set up people as much as CNK we he injects himself from the back. The RTS experiment has really not worked and now we get lots of metres but reduced ball playing from the back. CNK in 2023 gave some crucial under pressure passes and was very good. That’s why Webby wanted him at 1. To be fair it would be better to let RTS go to Japanese rugby and we use the $750k to strengthen an area that is needed, like speed or a genuine strike centre or another spot.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
We already have an elite forward pack, and sit 14th because our backs are average and slow
Agreed, but who’s out there? Realistically?
No one………..

However, we can potentially strengthen part of our squad (assuming we sign Clarke, Saifiti, Thompson). Why not?
Give TMM and Metcalfe the best possible platform and back our youth in regards to outside backs.

Pompey and Berry are a fairly decent centre combo with Ali waiting in reserve grade, or Charnze. Not amazing, decent.
It’s our wingers that we need an upgrade. Personally I’d want RTS to go to Fullback or right wing
(Cause that’s where he’s actually played historically. You know, like how Capewell sucked on the Right and is actually playing really well on the left. Maybe cause that’s where he’s historically played? Maybe……).

Why can’t Taine jump on a wing until RTS or Charnze go. And have our best up and coming winger on the left.

Penriths outside backs don’t exactly have blinding speed. Or Melbourne. They’re fast sure, they rely heavily on their systems especially defensively.

Last edited:
Truth is RTS is a poor centre. His defence is poor at centre and it hasn’t worked and I don’t think it will work. Back to full back, the problem with that is that he doesn’t pass and set up people as much as CNK we he injects himself from the back. The RTS experiment has really not worked and now we get lots of metres but reduced ball playing from the back. CNK in 2023 gave some crucial under pressure passes and was very good. That’s why Webby wanted him at 1. To be fair it would be better to let RTS go to Japanese rugby and we use the $750k to strengthen an area that is needed, like speed or a genuine strike centre or another spot.

Agree with everything you said.

Japanese Rugby probably could be a big option in the third year of the contract.

Have to accept he'll be here next year though I reckon.

Too true. RTS as a workhorse fullback with no ball playing is his best position, but probably not best for our team with 2 mid halves next season. After that on the wing is his next best IMO, over Montoya. But having a 30+ year old winger with low experience on good money is terrible cap wise. I love RTS, but it really struggled to click for him this year on both sides of the ball. Being moved every 2nd week hasn't helped, but a lot of that was due to our constant injury issues.

CNK has looked beaten up this year, not sure he's our long term fullback at 29 years old. I think he would be a far better centre than RTS, has a better pass and experience in the outside backs. Taine has the most skill on attack out of the 2, can be a 3rd half. But questions over his defence and injuries/head knocks.

I'm sort of thinking a lineup of;

TT
DWZ
Berry
CNK
RTS
Metcalf
TMM

Is on paper about the best we could put out for next year. And I'm not convinced. We need some speed out wide, and big question marks on the spine. But the centre pairing seems good defensively, which we really need.

I’m probably alone here but I’m not writing RTS off. I still see signs of everything there before he left and think this year will build a hunger in him. I wonder how much of the interest to shift him to centre was that he’d left union playing in the midfield so thought we could capitalise? If anyone was watching, he didn’t work in the midfield in union either. I think this failure is on Webster but probably highlights that they wanted something extra in what Pompey was providing, but it highlighted how Pompey is light years ahead of RTS at centre. RTS is an out and out fullback and where he should return to. Before he left he was very much in the echelon of fullbacks with Tedesco, who’s also 31 and around the top for dally m points. He admittedly has been settled in the years RTS went to union but I still see all the trademarks in RTS that could see him return to similar heights. CNK for whatever reason hasn’t had the same impact at the back as last year and I think the centre experiment would probably have been better served with him? Tuaupiki is a great talent but I feel like our defence has fallen away to which a strong defensive fullback is required at present. I certainly like the idea of shifting him to the halves though. He could be be backup fullback with CNK, but Tuaupiki plays 7 in nsw cup in preparation?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Too true. RTS as a workhorse fullback with no ball playing is his best position, but probably not best for our team with 2 mid halves next season. After that on the wing is his next best IMO, over Montoya. But having a 30+ year old winger with low experience on good money is terrible cap wise. I love RTS, but it really struggled to click for him this year on both sides of the ball. Being moved every 2nd week hasn't helped, but a lot of that was due to our constant injury issues.

CNK has looked beaten up this year, not sure he's our long term fullback at 29 years old. I think he would be a far better centre than RTS, has a better pass and experience in the outside backs. Taine has the most skill on attack out of the 2, can be a 3rd half. But questions over his defence and injuries/head knocks.

I'm sort of thinking a lineup of;

TT
DWZ
Berry
CNK
RTS
Metcalf
TMM

Is on paper about the best we could put out for next year. And I'm not convinced. We need some speed out wide, and big question marks on the spine. But the centre pairing seems good defensively, which we really need.
That's solid! I agree with RTS on the wing and that being overs, but I would rather his skill set at over than montoyas. Love Montoya but RTS could be better than that.

All I want RTS to do is his wing role though, he doesn't need to be part of some elaborate plays to get him involved. He doesn't need to be the star!

I would think him and CNK could get a good combo on that edge with Capewell, that's pretty fucken experienced!

I think it's Tuaupiki's time to shine. I hope we can go all the way at cup this season and he shines.

I would try lure Mulitalo in the meantime and if we landed his services would pair him straight away with Leiataua

I see all this talk of RTS to the wing but I would prefer he goes to Japan. The RTS we have now is not the same RTS we had before he went to Rugby. He is not going to help us win a premiership and just takes up a spot in our 30. Hopefully if he goes he takes Montoya along with him. For next year we should look at either Pasikala/MGT taking Montoya's spot or we find a upcoming winger from the NSW Cup. The way I look at it they might have defensive issues but likely no more than Montoya but they will be younger and faster.
For CNK I would like to see him start in NSW Cup next year. Guy has been poor all year so he can use the time in NSW Cup to find his form. If he sulks well then I am sure he can find a team in the Super League. I never liked how Webster said CNK was our number 1 fullback as you need competition within the squad to get the best out of all your players. Taine to start next year at fullback.

I’m probably alone here but I’m not writing RTS off. I still see signs of everything there before he left and think this year will build a hunger in him. I wonder how much of the interest to shift him to centre was that he’d left union playing in the midfield so thought we could capitalise? If anyone was watching, he didn’t work in the midfield in union either. I think this failure is on Webster but probably highlights that they wanted something extra in what Pompey was providing, but it highlighted how Pompey is light years ahead of RTS at centre. RTS is an out and out fullback and where he should return to. Before he left he was very much in the echelon of fullbacks with Tedesco, who’s also 31 and around the top for dally m points. He admittedly has been settled in the years RTS went to union but I still see all the trademarks in RTS that could see him return to similar heights. CNK for whatever reason hasn’t had the same impact at the back as last year and I think the centre experiment would probably have been better served with him? Tuaupiki is a great talent but I feel like our defence has fallen away to which a strong defensive fullback is required at present. I certainly like the idea of shifting him to the halves though. He could be be backup fullback with CNK, but Tuaupiki plays 7 in nsw cup in preparation?
Pompey is underrated.
He is a quiet achiever.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
RTS has never been in the top echelon of fullbacks and to compare him to Teddy is pure make believe. In the modern game an ‘out & out’ fullback links into the backline to create an overlap - they’re a 3rd playmaker. RTS will never be that, & I’m certain that moving him to fullback would set our team backwards. I’m not suggesting CNK is the solution either - he had a brilliant 2023 & a good first half of 2024, however he’s now well down on that form. However I just can’t rationalise how RTS is still being discussed by anyone for fullback.

As for the talk on Ilias - what have those of you keen on chasing him seen to make you think he can succeed as an NRL number 7? I’ve seen very little so far, although he is young still.

I'm not sold where to play RTS next year, but let's not be silly and rule out full back.

As great as 2023 was, Charnz had 6 tries and 6 try assists. That's hardly overwhelming and imo Roger gets near those numbers, on top of the other positives you get from him (try saves, more meters) so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

I think for me, I'd really like to see Tauapiki get a shot with TMM and LM in the halves, that seems like a fairly exciting spine. I'd have CNK in centre and Roger on the wing, but at the end of the day I think if I had to pick CNK or Roger at full back I'd go with Roger.
Roger is a better full back and CNK is a better centre, so it's a bit of a no brainer imo

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'm not sold where to play RTS next year, but let's not be silly and rule out full back.

As great as 2023 was, Charnz had 6 tries and 6 try assists. That's hardly overwhelming and imo Roger gets near those numbers, on top of the other positives you get from him (try saves, more meters) so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

I think for me, I'd really like to see Tauapiki get a shot with TMM and LM in the halves, that seems like a fairly exciting spine. I'd have CNK in centre and Roger on the wing, but at the end of the day I think if I had to pick CNK or Roger at full back I'd go with Roger.
Roger is a better full back and CNK is a better centre, so it's a bit of a no brainer imo
Agreed, other than I believe Roger should have first crack next year.
Full preseason at FB, CNK preseason at centre.

I think some people forget this was his first year back to league. Being shuffled around learning new positions again.

Give Rog the first 6 weeks next year, if he’s no good TT to take the jersey.
I just don’t agree that Roger was an average FB when he left, he was one our best players week in week out.

RTS has never been in the top echelon of fullbacks and to compare him to Teddy is pure make believe. In the modern game an ‘out & out’ fullback links into the backline to create an overlap - they’re a 3rd playmaker. RTS will never be that, & I’m certain that moving him to fullback would set our team backwards. I’m not suggesting CNK is the solution either - he had a brilliant 2023 & a good first half of 2024, however he’s now well down on that form. However I just can’t rationalise how RTS is still being discussed by anyone for fullback.

As for the talk on Ilias - what have those of you keen on chasing him seen to make you think he can succeed as an NRL number 7? I’ve seen very little so far, although he is young still.
He’s beaten out Tedesco to win overall dally m at fullback in the past? Not sure how you can say never has been in top echelon?

Pompey is underrated.
He is a quiet achiever.
I believe he’s our best centre. If he had a little extra pace he would be deadly.
That’s the biggest head scratcher I’ve seen recently. How people still don’t have him in their team. Our most experienced centre as well.
Him and Rocco, round 1. Assuming everyone is fit.

A random thought and won't happen , but if I was to choose a player for the Warriors it would be Jamal Fogarty from the Raiders, ex Titans. He has a great kicking game and can guide a team around the park, would fit in nicely and not expensive as the likes of Cleary, Hughes etc. A little older than would have preferred but hey dreams are free.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back