• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
Even in a vacuum its debatable. But factor in the future of the team and its obvious. How many amazing seasons can we get out of RTS at FB? Lucky if its 1. What is he going to do, turn up in 2026 at 33 and carve the comp up?
I don’t think there is any definition of amazing where we get that from him at fullback in 2025. I’m sure we would get maximum effort from him every week, big run metres, probably a decent number of tackle busts. However very limited attacking output.

NZWarriors.com
Competition for spots is what's needed in the team.
Consigning a Dally M winner (who is under contract for two more years) to cup or only the wing spot would be the same sort of mistake as Webster saying CNK was fullback full stop.
I hope Webby learns from that rhetoric.
You can’t guarantee spots for any player.
We all got we he was trying to do, give CNK total confidence but it back fired on him.

Consigning a Dally M winner (who is under contract for two more years) to cup or only the wing spot would be the same sort of mistake as Webster saying CNK was fullback full stop.
I don’t think there’s many on here that think SJ wasn’t robbed of the Dally M less than 12 months ago. However there are probably even fewer that think he should be going around again as our halfback in 2025. RTS’s dally M from 6 years ago is irrelevant in a discussion about next season.

I don’t think there’s many on here that think SJ wasn’t robbed of the Dally M less than 12 months ago. However there are probably even fewer that think he should be going around again as our halfback in 2025. RTS’s dally M from 6 years ago is irrelevant in a discussion about next season.
Similarly alot of people would of suggested SJ retire after 2022 - and then we get 2023

... so I don't think it's irrelevant at all.

In fact it's pretty ridiculous to suggest throwing him on the scrap heap (even if we could)

My pecking order as of right now would be 1. Taine, 2. RTS. 3. CNK

Alot can change in a preseason and then again over the course of the season.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Its a money issue. Him relegated to the wing means releasing either DWZ or Monty.

I dont care about his Dally M. I care about the Warriors winning games.

It's funny how perceptions change towards a player we all once admired after a having a below average season.
I didn't see one bad comment about Rts on here after he won his DallyM award. I didn't see one person say "He's not even close to a top tier FB" ? Lol...Wtf.

A guy who has just come back from rugby. Had to play and quickly adapt to different positions. One he hasn't played in years and the other he has never played in. And hasn't had the chance to settle in one position yet.

He was a bit to heavy on his return. His body shape that was suited to a mid fielder in rugby not so League.

It was rumoured he came back to us for 800k. Didn't he turn down millions from Japanese rugby? And last minute to come back to us? So I'm not doubting his commitment and focus to us.

Major injuries throughout the whole season to multiple players in key positions didn't help.

In saying that, i am in favour of either, He moves to FB full-time or goes to Japan.
To slow for wing. And not keen for another season of trial & error at centre. Although I believe he could be a awesome centre.

It's funny how perceptions change towards a player we all once admired after a having a below average season.
I didn't see one bad comment about Rts on here after he won his DallyM award. I didn't see one person say "He's not even close to a top tier FB" ? Lol...Wtf.

A guy who has just come back from rugby. Had to play and quickly adapt to different positions. One he hasn't played in years and the other he has never played in. And hasn't had the chance to settle in one position yet.

He was a bit to heavy on his return. His body shape that was suited to a mid fielder in rugby not so League.

It was rumoured he came back to us for 800k. Didn't he turn down millions from Japanese rugby? And last minute to come back to us? So I'm not doubting his commitment and focus to us.

Major injuries throughout the whole season to multiple players in key positions didn't help.

In saying that, i am in favour of either, He moves to FB full-time or goes to Japan.
To slow for wing. And not keen for another season of trial & error at centre. Although I believe he could be a awesome centre.
1724803757015.png

To slow for wing. And not keen for another season of trial & error at centre. Although I believe he could be an awesome centre.
A few of us have been consistent in our views on RTS since way before he switched to Union.

In saying that, I was still hopeful he’d make a much better fist of centre than what he has. Had him in my SuperCoach team at the beginning of the year 😛

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Here’s some stats from 2018 - a season that wasn’t even close to peak Teddy or Turbo:

RTS:
Games 23, Tries 3, Forced Drop Outs 0, Try Assists 8, Line Breaks 13, Tackle Efficiency 62%, Avg Run Metres 178

Teddy:
Games 25, Tries 9, Forced Drop Outs 1, Try Assists 15, Line Breaks 15, Tackle Efficiency 83%, Avg Run Metres 193

Turbo:
Games 22, Tries 9, Forced Drop Outs 7, Try Assists 14, Line Breaks 19, Tackle Efficiency 73%, Avg Run Metres 174.
Wonder if it had anything to do with his leadership? Can recall him setting the tone in the opening game against souths that year in Perth by a brilliant try saving tackle. Here’s some stats for the same 3 players you sampled when RTS won dally m fullback of the year at the roosters in 2015.
RTS. 27 games. Roosters
12 tries, 2 forced drop outs, 15 try assists, 16 line breaks, 72% tackles efficiency, 242 average run metres

Tedesco. 24 games. Tigers
17 tries, 1 forced drop out, 12 try assists, 14 line breaks, 77% tackle efficiency, 151 average run metres

Trbojovich. 9 games. Manly
(1st year in first in first grade being 4 years younger than RTS and Tedesco)
8 tries, 0 forced drop outs, 0 try assists, 4 line breaks, 86% tackle efficiency, 133 average running metres

Wonder if it had anything to do with his leadership? Can recall him setting the tone in the opening game against souths that year in Perth by a brilliant try saving tackle. Here’s some stats for the same 3 players you sampled when RTS won dally m fullback of the year at the roosters in 2015.
RTS. 27 games. Roosters
12 tries, 2 forced drop outs, 15 try assists, 16 line breaks, 72% tackles efficiency, 242 average run metres

Tedesco. 24 games. Tigers
17 tries, 1 forced drop out, 12 try assists, 14 line breaks, 77% tackle efficiency, 151 average run metres

Trbojovich. 9 games. Manly
(1st year in first in first grade being 4 years younger than RTS and Tedesco)
8 tries, 0 forced drop outs, 0 try assists, 4 line breaks, 86% tackle efficiency, 133 average running metres
Yeah I’ll admit that he was awesome that season. I remember he was taking the inside ball or offload & cutting through the middle of the opposition defensive line a bit that season. Reminded me of peak Wade McKinnon.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Excited about this kid. Happy he is top 30. Sio Kali is another i have huge wraps on. Will be interesting to see how many spots open up by seasons end. Bunty rumours, Big Ed could be moved on. Ford maybe ?
I really want Sio Kali to do well, unfortunately it seems he can't play more than 5 minutes without getting injured! Raphael Sio is another outside back worth keeping an eye on.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
The frustrating aspecting I think we are all feeling has been from,

Halves not setting up outside backs/ putting back rowers into gaps this season

Lack of creativity in the opp 20

The defence of our centres

The inability of our backs being unable to create something out of nothing.

As had been noted, our forwards make the metres, if not slightly one dimensional in the back row.
Too true. RTS as a workhorse fullback with no ball playing is his best position, but probably not best for our team with 2 mid halves next season. After that on the wing is his next best IMO, over Montoya. But having a 30+ year old winger with low experience on good money is terrible cap wise. I love RTS, but it really struggled to click for him this year on both sides of the ball. Being moved every 2nd week hasn't helped, but a lot of that was due to our constant injury issues.

CNK has looked beaten up this year, not sure he's our long term fullback at 29 years old. I think he would be a far better centre than RTS, has a better pass and experience in the outside backs. Taine has the most skill on attack out of the 2, can be a 3rd half. But questions over his defence and injuries/head knocks.

I'm sort of thinking a lineup of;

TT
DWZ
Berry
CNK
RTS
Metcalf
TMM

Is on paper about the best we could put out for next year. And I'm not convinced. We need some speed out wide, and big question marks on the spine. But the centre pairing seems good defensively, which we really need.
Or maybe LM and TT swap positions and we get a Jerome Hughes and Scott Drinkwater combo.?

Was surprised to see yesterday that we were in for Daniel Saifiti. The club is so water tight with rumours these days, it feels like the only ones that seep are intentional? I wonder if our interest in him could have changed since Leo Thompson made his intentions known to potentially hit the open market in November? He’s apparently on $175k a season being that he was let go by the raiders and has shown real growth. Can see plenty of teams will be prepared to offer him good money. Saifiti is signed until 2027 with the knights, the same time Barnett is signed with us. Being that Barnett and Saifiti are best mates, I wonder if Barnett would get his nose put out of joint if we decided to pick up Thompson instead? I’m leaning towards Thompson every day of the week

RTS at his peak was something else but the game has evolved a lot in the years that he was gone.

I’d say there’s kids running around with the same pace and step as RTS in his prime struggling to break into FG right now.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back