• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
Atkinson would be first choice half if he came here, which is why he won’t. He’s playing too good at present to be dropped he’ll play half and Nicho to 6 I reckon
They’ve got Trindall to consider too who’s going alright. Don’t mind the look of Atkinson at all, taller halve at 6 foot 1 and was a centre previously. Can be approached in November

NZWarriors.com
Well it was a good thought while it lasted. Who's our next idea? He doesn't have to be perfect. We are talking about Toby Sexton calibre players. Or there or there abouts.
Trindall? Will probably be the one making way for Hynes. Give him an upgrade and the 7 jersey maybe.

I actually like the halves pairing of Martin and Metcalf but both are way too injury prone, and there’s talks of Harris-Tavita being turned into a lock for next year. So we definitely need to go to market.

1. Tuaupiki
2. RTS
3. Pompey
4. Berry
5. DWZ

17. CNK
Surely could do a preseason with some reps at 6 and 9 to cover if injures happen also covers centres and FB
That way don't have to rely on old man Capewell or Niukore being pushed out.
And carry and bench hooker to play 10mins.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I can 100% see CNK as long term centre but could he play 13?
Ive seen a few people saying he could make a good 13. Tbh wouldnt be a bas shout, just not sure how he would go. He can pass the ball good, he runs hard and isnt a slouch in tackling.

But I wouldnt mind seeing him in center and having Taine at the back. That would mean Berry, CNK and Pompey fight for two spots and we continue to develop Ali who still is really young

Berry looks like he is moving fast when hitting up blindly into 3 defenders, wastes all his energy chasing kicks though.

Leiataua isnt that fast, but is powerful, so thats a pair of good athletes for the centers.

Dal can still run, Metcalf will add a lot as a support player if he can stop breaking down.

the young forwards will have more leg speed than the old ones.

you can't just turn any strong back into a 13, especially ones who aren't used to defending in the middle of the field.

The Japanese rugby comp starts in December, so if Roger is a realistic chance of going there, would find out sooner rather than later.

If he stays then you probably have enough outside backs under contract. And the ones other clubs would want are the likes of Berry and Ali who we dont want to let go of.

What do we need to buy? Another half definitely, Tanah Boyd stinks, but need someone a bit above the volkman level where the coach has the confidence to play him in first grade if required.

But outside of that need to release players to sign players.

Good question that - is there anyone in the current squad that isn't currently in the halves rotation who you could see being turned into a serviceable half quickly? [notice I said serviceable, rather than top draw...]

Obvious candidate is Tuaupiki - and they're currently trying to do it in ressies with Paul Roache...

I've always liked the idea of Pompey as a 6, but that doesn't solve the problem...

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Good question that - is there anyone in the current squad that isn't currently in the halves rotation who you could see being turned into a serviceable half quickly? [notice I said serviceable, rather than top draw...]

Obvious candidate is Tuaupiki - and they're currently trying to do it in ressies with Paul Roache...

I've always liked the idea of Pompey as a 6, but that doesn't solve the problem...
jeez - look at the last Cup game highlights... Taine's short kicking and pass selection in the the line is excellent...

Just some thoughts on retention as that's the most likely of all signings and non signings.

• T Harris: would be happy to let him play out next season and like SJ assess by the end.

• D Walker: Would love him to extend but on past history with matters like this and our own knowledge of being away from family, the warriors probably just need to let him make any calls and grant it.

• C N Klokstad: I would definitely let him go to November 1 and fight for a place next season, needs another huge one to stay for me, this year is a step back for me, he didnt develop a passing game, enough battle rams in this team.

• B Afoa: If he leaves so be it, happy if he stays on next season, we could do with his experience but that would be it, it would give our young ones another year to develop while bunty is here.

• D W Zelezniak: Need to Extend this man, there isn't another winger we could sign that would be better and nobody is realy ready to take his spot. With a game to go he's still scored 13 tries with how bad our right edge attack has gone! He's got more to give.

• M Montoya: Happy if he is here for next season but that's it! He's not going to get better and I already think RTS has his spot. Depth Guy.

• E Kosi: Big Ed does not have a place in this team for me and we could be using his spot in the 30 for a better player.

• T Ale: I want to see the club keep the faith in this guy, he's not had his best season but most haven't this year, with Bunty on the way out his further development worth it. Would like to see him play lock, I know he's got a pass and offload in him.

• A Leiataua: Must extend this kid and lock him up here long term. He's building nicely and it won't be long he will get his defense right and we will have a real strike weapon on the left edge.

• J Ford: I'm happy for the club to extend jacco, he's a real goer! He's got errors but he's got heart and works his arse off! He may get taken over but has enough experience worth keeping.

• T Tuaupiki: Extend this kid! He's building nicely in cup this year he's the next Starting fullback for us. Could even be that guy next year with CNK and RTS at the club!

• T M Martin: Happy to to extend him as back up guy. I'm surprised we haven't tried him at FB at times. He could actually go alright there.

• A Pompey: Extend him! He's a decent man to have plug holes happy for webby and co to keep working with him, his kicking is a bonus.

Now I have a thing I call Cup Killers, these are guys who have killed cup and should be straight into the 30 IMO for 2025.

That goes to G M Taufa, what does this guy need to do to get it? He's made his debut and has gone okay. Woth the spot for developing while in the 30, he's good enough for some other NRL teams. He should take Ed Kosi spot in the 30.

Cheers, peeps!

Last edited:
Ive seen a few people saying he could make a good 13. Tbh wouldnt be a bas shout, just not sure how he would go. He can pass the ball good, he runs hard and isnt a slouch in tackling.

But I wouldnt mind seeing him in center and having Taine at the back. That would mean Berry, CNK and Pompey fight for two spots and we continue to develop Ali who still is really young
CNK would make an awesome 6, 3, and be Fittler like in the 13. Just not sure how that works in the modern game. He is a champion player and always gives 100%. I’d always have him in my 17.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Tanah Boyd and Lachy Ilias would be good gets i reckon, both are 24 and are definitely good enough to start if given a change of scenery. Bit left field, but could Tuaupiki become a 7 like Jahrome Hughes??? Hughes was a backup fullback turned 7.

Overall we need a halfback and TMM is not the answer imo, purely because of his kicking game.

I've seen very little of Roache, but the game I did see he was outstanding at hooker.. why are we converting him exactly?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I've seen very little of Roache, but the game I did see he was outstanding at hooker.. why are we converting him exactly?

Baffles my mind
He’s got the right build for #9
Is there someone better underneath they are looking at or is AW in love with Lussick??

presumably because we have more promising young 9s than 7s. also Roache isn't really a hooker like his brother was, short halves who can't kick get converted into hookers, tall halves who can't kick get put in the outside backs.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back