• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
With TMM at 7 we scored enough points to win the majority of games. It was our defence that let us down. Whether that is the change in assistant coaches, perhaps a bit of attitude with AFB leaving or RTS taking a potentially unearned spot or a combination of all of that. Whatever it was it didn't look like the team had bought in to it the same way they had in 2023. I did enjoy the combined onfield leadership of TMM, Walker, Barney when they were together and seemed to have the playing group with them. Add in JFH and that's a good combination of players to follow on and off field.
I’d throw in SJ as another unearned for a lot of the season unfortunately. It surely didn’t sit right with players when they get over top 4 teams in their best run of the season and SJ is selected when apparently fit again. Which he wasn’t. That game against titans where we got smoked seemed like an unhappy team, which the whole second half of the season seemed to me

NZWarriors.com
TMM has done a job this year.

It would be nice to have a half that guides us around the park over a sustained season, and can win us games in golden point etc. We're only going to get the best of Metcalf if we have another half that controls the game (though I'm sure Metcalf would like to that guy).

I see TMM as a depth luxury.

A decent winger who can defend well should be high on our list of needs and I'm really struggling to fit RTS anywhere now in the team. Probably left wing instead of Montoya? RTS has made some rookie errors this year and is a very individualistic player with ball in hand. If TMM and LM are our halves then I'd go with Ali and Berry (is there any update on him) as our centres. Both run good lines, hit the holes. Which is what a player like TMM needs to utilize his short passing game. RTS doesn't fit that.
Interesting that Pompey has switched sides in the last fortnight playing inside DWZ. I wonder if this is for defensive purposes?

I’d throw in SJ as another unearned for a lot of the season unfortunately. It surely didn’t sit right with players when they get over top 4 teams in their best run of the season and SJ is selected when apparently fit again. Which he wasn’t. That game against titans where we got smoked seemed like an unhappy team, which the whole second half of the season seemed to me
Definitely felt like there was disharmony in the team for sure. Hard to pin it down and could be a number of contributing factors adding up. AW has some work to do this off season.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
TMM has done a job this year.

It would be nice to have a half that guides us around the park over a sustained season, and can win us games in golden point etc. We're only going to get the best of Metcalf if we have another half that controls the game (though I'm sure Metcalf would like to that guy).

I see TMM as a depth luxury.
Pretty handy depth luxury and arguably out played our 'elite' half that many kept preferring to have in the team despite the record this season. I think TMM can lead the team around ok, he has shown he can, but he has to be given the support and confidence to do so. Small sample size this year with him at 7, but if he can replicate that form next year for a sustained period then we will be in a good position. LM is going to be a good 6 I think (though I think he should have been a wing or fullback but that's a whole other hypothetical debate) and can be utilised effectively particularly on set plays like mid field scrums. I haven't seen anything to suggest he is the answer at 7 and lead the team though. That might develop over time.

The thing for me is that everyone seems to want an elite half to play for us. The problem is there is only a very small number of them around and they are on decent money and in good teams. We definitely need one or two halves signings but what are the chances of getting anyone that will provide more than what we currently have with TMM and LM?

Last edited:
Pretty handy depth luxury and arguably out played our 'elite' half that many kept preferring to have in the team despite the record this season. I think TMM can lead the team around ok, he has shown he can, but he has to be given the support and confidence to do so. Small sample size this year with him at 7, but if he can replicate that form next year for a sustained period then we will be in a good position. LM is going to be a good 6 I think (though I think he should have been a wing or fullback but that's a whole other hypothetical debate) and can be utilised effectively particularly on set plays like mid field scrums. I haven't seen anything to suggest he is the answer at 7 and lead the team though. That might develop over time.

The thing for me is that everyone seems to want an elite half to play for us. The problem is there is only a very small number of them around and they are on decent money and in good teams. We definitely need one or two halves signings but what are the chances of getting anyone that will provide more than what we currently have with TMM and LM?
I think if TMM and LM are to be the halfs they will need some serious threat outside them. There will need to be a big investment made to bring our squads quality in line with other finals contenders. For me no7 is where you sink big money as option A, and if that is not viable then you look at options B (outside back quality), C (a game-breaking second rower) & D (prop/hooker).

TMM can play the role adequately, LM needs to show he can play a whole season. It is unlikely they are a combination to take us into the top 4, and that is where recruitment decisions need to focus.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
What would it take to get Sam Walker here, aren't his uncles the Walker Brothers? Don't we need some new attack coaches? Are you thinking what I'm thinking...
That thought has certainly crossed my mind. Interesting I was having a look over the tigers forum and a poster mentioned a rumour that Sam Walker is very interested in a return to Brisbane for 2026 when he comes off contract. There’s also a thought that the roosters will go in hard for Lachlan Galvin from the tigers. With all these aging halves, there’s going to be heaps of movement over the next few seasons in these positions. With our season over, we might start to see some movement with other teams that’s season is over

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Clarke is a funny one, basically a younger version of Jazz. Has more upside and has really stepped up this season, not sure on his ball playing at lock compared to Jazz, but I think that's Jazz weakness. Jazz's injuries have possibly caught up with a bit.

He's a good signing IMO, very versatile, won't break the bank and can cover Tohu/Walker which could be important next year.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
TMM might have too much of a limited kicking game? Guess whether it’s Metcalf or whoever at 6, we need to consider TMM’s lack of a kicking game?
dunno... what i enjoyed watching TMM this year was his variation, particularly kick options at the end of sets. He seemed to go through the line with grubbers far more effectively and keep the defence guessing whereas 90%of SJs last options were bombs to the corner... predictable without any particular aerial strength to make this a serious try scoring threat.

yes SJ is a better clutch player but every time he played I wondered if this was a coaching directive (and if so why TMM didn't do likewise) or if his last play options off the boot were just that limited

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back