• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
Let's say both Jazz and Walker are gone and Tohu goes down again next year. Webby will be forced to fill 13 and rotation in quite a different way to how he done it so far.

That is kind of exciting to me
It's a bit scary for me. A few on here under calling what Walker brings to the side in that middle spot and a few overestimating what our juniors can do for what will be a whole season in first grade. I think that they will try and keep Walker for next season unless someone else sufficient pops up available for us to sign. I get the feeling our short term premiership chance has sailed and it's now in to rebuild time. 3-5 years of getting the right players and the right juniors getting experience in first grade.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
It's a bit scary for me. A few on here under calling what Walker brings to the side in that middle spot and a few overestimating what our juniors can do for what will ve a whole season in first grade. I think that they will try and keep Walker for next season unless someone else sufficient pops up available for us to sign. I get the feeling our short term premiership chance has sailed and it's now in to rebuild time. 3-5 years of getting the right players and the right juniors getting experience in first grade.

I'm certainly not suggesting he is not valuable to us, but nor is he irreplaceable.

But if he's gone he's gone. What I would hope would happen is someone like Kalani Going (29 years old) or maybe Ale (37 games) are forced into that position. Don't discount someone like Jackson Ford becoming a modern version of Michael Luck (despite the shivers that might send down most peoples spines).

I wouldn't discount our premiership chances in the short term just yet - players become available all the time and if we have cash we are best placed to benefit from that.

I'm referring to Walker

Think with Jazz, because he is off contract, they would have been making moves with that money and maybe trying to fit him in.

Walker has a year to run so it's a bit more tricky with planning for that cap space.

Let's say both Jazz and Walker are gone and Tohu goes down again next year. Webby will be forced to fill 13 and rotation in quite a different way to how he done it so far.

That is kind of exciting to me
Yeah Walker leaving looks unplanned, might be forced to go to market and selĺ Erin Clark the dream of a hero's homecoming.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I'm certainly not suggesting he is not valuable to us, but nor is he irreplaceable.

But if he's gone he's gone. What I would hope would happen is someone like Kalani Going (29 years old) or maybe Ale (37 games) are forced into that position. Don't discount someone like Jackson Ford becoming a modern version of Michael Luck (despite the shivers that might send down most peoples spines).

I wouldn't discount our premiership chances in the short term just yet - players become available all the time and if we have cash we are best placed to benefit from that.
Yes, wasn't aimed at you. Just amuses me that as soon as a player looks like leaving some jump on then and say they are past it or or not good anyway. Also some thinking our juniors are up to playing big minutes for a full season in first grade.

As for Going or Ale, you just know that AW will end up playing Tohu there for 60+ minutes a game

Reactions: j_p
Capewell can and has played 13, Sifakula, ball skills that Eels NSW Cup win, long term, interchange with Tohu and Capes. Marata, Barney back row or prop. Wouldn’t mind betting another big name front rower joins us.

JFH likes hunting with TMM, Dylan Brown come on down. Replace one with Dylan with a better long term Dylan? No brainer. End of Dry July apologies Whanau, I’m done

Capewell can and has played 13, Sifakula, ball skills that Eels NSW Cup win, long term, interchange with Tohu and Capes. Marata, Barney back row or prop. Wouldn’t mind betting another big name front rower joins us.

JFH likes hunting with TMM, Dylan Brown come on down. Replace one Dylan with a better long term Dylan? No brainer. End of Dry July apologies Whanau, I’m done, too many 8%.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Capewell can and has played 13, Sifakula, ball skills in that Eels NSW Cup win, long term, interchange with Tohu and Capes. Marata, Barney back row or prop. Wouldn’t mind betting another big name front rower joins us.

JFH likes hunting with TMM, Dylan Brown come on down. Replace one Dylan with a better long term Dylan? No brainer. End of Dry July apologies Whanau, I’m done, too many 8%.

Capewell can and has played 13, Sifakula, ball skills in that Eels NSW Cup win, long term, interchange with Tohu and Capes. Marata, Barney back row or prop. Wouldn’t mind betting another big name front rower joins us.

JFH likes hunting with TMM, Dylan Brown come on down. Replace one Dylan with a better long term Dylan? No brainer. End of Dry July apologies Whanau, I’m done, too many 🍺

JFH likes hunting with TMM, Dylan Brown come on down. Replace one Dylan with a better long term Dylan? No brainer. End of Dry July apologies Whanau, I’m done, too many 🍺
Think I've had a few too many as well, just read the same post 5 times

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Feel like the Jazz situation is pretty obvious, he's just not really required anymore and is holding up a spot for youth we need to develop. We'd take him at min of course because he'd be great depth, but otherwise he's just not what we need. If he ever learned how to cover hooker it would have been different. He needs to be treated as an all time club man though, absolute soldier for us when half the team never gave a shit. Really played his heart out through some grim times. Feel like Curran had the same heart which is why I'm still gutted he moved on, since he could have carried that torch.

The big issue with walker leaving and AFB, is there's plenty of money but the way contracts work is most big signings are for the year following. Most of 2025's good available players will have already signed prior to this pre season. It's not like the US sports where there's a huge free agency at the end of the year.

Think 2025 might end up being a rebuild unless we land some quality somehow. Figure out our halves situation, make some big signings for 2026 and get some experience into our most promising youngsters.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I wonder if the news of Walker asking for a release could give Jazz a bit of a life line? Obvs different players but as many have alluded to - Jazz, AFB, Walker, and potentially SJ is a shit tonne of experience lost with only JFH coming in next year.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to offer Jazz another 100k on top of what we've offered, and then have him leave at the end of next year instead.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I wonder if the news of Walker asking for a release could give Jazz a bit of a life line? Obvs different players but as many have alluded to - Jazz, AFB, Walker, and potentially SJ is a shit tonne of experience lost with only JFH coming in next year.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to offer Jazz another 100k on top of what we've offered, and then have him leave at the end of next year instead.
ummm.... no chance. Jazz has bled for the place and rightly has a special place in many fans hearts, but last week was a prime example of where he's at now - short stint, error, penalty from memory, felt like he was that week he got dragged. Maybe twice a year he brings an energy that lifts the team. Mostly we're weaker with him on the field. Give me Ale, Laban, Bunty any day of the week. His time's come.

Leon Black is right. We don't need flashy players, its all about getting those that put in the 8 percenters.

ummm.... no chance. Jazz has bled for the place and rightly has a special place in many fans hearts, but last week was a prime example of where he's at now - short stint, error, penalty from memory, felt like he was that week he got dragged. Maybe twice a year he brings an energy that lifts the team. Mostly we're weaker with him on the field. Give me Ale, Laban, Bunty any day of the week. His time's come.

To quote yourself...
Umm...no chance lol.

Jazz still has plenty to offer, however with the significant amount of exciting rookies we have something had to give. It's not inconceivable that now that the club's hand is likely forced with Walker leaving, there could be room for Jazz to stay. We'd be losing 350+ games with Jazz and Walker leaving and replacing them with about 8 games. Very risky

I think you're being pretty unfair about Jazz and his impact on the team too - the last 10 weeks he's had 2 errors and 0 penalties and has averaged about 100m off the bench.
If you see that as not good enough why on earth do you add Bunty in the list of people to replace him when Bunty's never evidenced he's been able to do that, let alone provide something better?

To quote yourself...
Umm...no chance lol.

Jazz still has plenty to offer, however with the significant amount of exciting rookies we have something had to give. It's not inconceivable that now that the club's hand is likely forced with Walker leaving, there could be room for Jazz to stay. We'd be losing 350+ games with Jazz and Walker leaving and replacing them with about 8 games. Very risky

I think you're being pretty unfair about Jazz and his impact on the team too - the last 10 weeks he's had 2 errors and 0 penalties and has averaged about 100m off the bench.
If you see that as not good enough why on earth do you add Bunty in the list of people to replace him when Bunty's never evidenced he's been able to do that, let alone provide something better?
Fair about the penalties. I recalled swearing at him about one, but it would have been one of his 2 6-agains alongside his 2MT in 18m on the field.
IMO Jazz in a team gives us a lighter, weaker bench than we need. Sure Bunty's not a AFB but he hits it at pace and has plenty of passion.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back