• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
I had my doubts about Kalani Going last year but he keeps getting better & better. This year he's been one of the top 3 players in cup every week. Hes tough on defense & plays really direct into the line allowing outside backs plenty of room. He can def fill a role there more than adequately or at least until we can sign an elite 13 "Hopgood" type player.
He's come on leaps and bounds in the last 4-5 games especially. Taking on far more of a distribution role. Last year he did one dimensional hit ups. Who is the coach of the NSW cup team? Whoever it is the players really really listen and improve.

The concern with Walker leaving is we don’t have a like for like replacement. Losing him and Jazz would require a change in game plan with the personnel we have available.

I’m not sure we’d be that keen unless we have a decent player lined up for the squad we need Walkers money for.
Yeah as much as we have talented youngsters i havent seen any of them with the modern day 13 skillset that both Tohu and Walker have. Both can play as a 3rd half with the ability to ball play before and at the line, while Walker's leg speed has been a bonus to change tempo during games.......a hard one to replace for sure.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The concern with Walker leaving is we don’t have a like for like replacement. Losing him and Jazz would require a change in game plan with the personnel we have available.

I’m not sure we’d be that keen unless we have a decent player lined up for the squad we need Walkers money for.
Looking at who’s off contract this year there’s no one available who could replace walker- however looking at who’s off contact end of next year (like walker) there are a few options for the mythical (Rarely happens but we love to talk about it) player swap.
Hopgood or conor Watson would be huge.
More realistic targets though could be cheese (that should be divisive) or Erin Clarke- always rated him and he’s turned into a tank but has that background in the halves.

Maybe a year earlier than I would've liked ideally, but I'm actually pretty stoked Walker is leaving if its true.

He's on massive overs and I feel like he's just approaching a massive decline with age.

Step on up Halasima, would love to see him take Walkers bench spot full time next year.

While not nearly the threat on his feet that Walker is, I actually think Going is just as good of a distributor/ball player.

Would love to see workhorse Tom Ale gets some extended lock minutes next year too.

Barnett can also cover lock if we spend that freed up money on a lock (I like him there over second row).

Looking at who’s off contract this year there’s no one available who could replace walker- however looking at who’s off contact end of next year (like walker) there are a few options for the mythical (Rarely happens but we love to talk about it) player swap.
More realistic targets though could be cheese (that should be divisive) or Erin Clarke- always rated him and he’s turned into a tank but has that background in the halves.
Agree on Erin
He was playing that linking role as a replacement 13 earlier this year a la Walker/ Lindsay Yeo and was great. Now Des has him playing prop.
He is gutsy player Erin plenty of heart.

Also the option for a player swap....

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Guys I wouldn’t fret. If he leaves, that gives us over 1 million between jazz (400k), and Walker (700k) to splash.

We’re officially a desirable club now. Not in the elk of the Melbourne’s panthers roosters, but we’re right up there. We have our identity back.

Nothing in recent signings casts doubt over the personnel we will bring in. Our recruitment has exceeded my expectations well and truely. We will be fine.

Btw this chat of CHT & CNK playing lock is absolutely clutching. It ends now.
Yeah but that doesn't mean you have 1.1M to spend on an elite player, you have to replace them with 2 others and 400k doesn't get you much

Question is, why is Monty involving himself? Isn’t he still involved in the organisation in some capacity? And what good does this do for the club that not only gave him a career, but continues to be the only commentary gig he has & tv show based on the club he’s shitting on.

Little life lesson Monty, don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

Attachments

• IMG_6400.jpeg
    IMG_6400.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 137
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Question is, why is Monty involving himself? Isn’t he still involved in the organisation in some capacity? And what good does this do for the club that not only gave him a career, but continues to be the only commentary gig he has & tv show based on the club he’s shitting on.

Little life lesson Monty, don’t bite the hand that feeds you.
Tbf Jazz has already stated this himself. Said there is definitely an offer should he not recieve one elsewhere, but its peanuts.

Maybe a year earlier than I would've liked ideally, but I'm actually pretty stoked Walker is leaving if its true.

He's on massive overs and I feel like he's just approaching a massive decline with age.

Step on up Halasima, would love to see him take Walkers bench spot full time next year.

While not nearly the threat on his feet that Walker is, I actually think Going is just as good of a distributor/ball player.

Would love to see workhorse Tom Ale gets some extended lock minutes next year too.

Barnett can also cover lock if we spend that freed up money on a lock (I like him there over second row).

One thing we have seen with Webby is he tends to make changes only when forced to.

I don't think it's a bad thing to force Webby to fill this spot from our depth.

Logically it puts to bed any Tohu retirement talk you would think, he will be starting 13 next year...Whether he can get through a full season though is another question.

One thing we have seen with Webby is he tends to make changes only when forced to.

I don't think it's a bad thing to force Webby to fill this spot from our depth.

Logically it puts to bed any Tohu retirement talk you would think, he will be starting 13 next year...Whether he can get through a full season though is another question.
Not sure if Webby's hand is being forced on Jazz or if him and Cappy are just clearing cap to sign the squad they want, Jazz is apparently not in the plan.

It’s probably nothing but, Te Maire posted on his Instagram story the Warriors Jazz announcement post. With “any tickets”, could he be a little salty?
What does "any tickets" mean, can I come with you bro? Hope this doesn’t mean what I think it does, is Te Maire part of the plan?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
The original aeticle on Jazz's departure.

Tevaga responded: “I'm not going to be at the club here next year, bro. We've sort of had a conversation with the club and mutually agreed that it's time to go our separate ways, which is all good. The club's been fantastic for me over the years and given me an opportunity which I'm forever grateful for.

“But, yeah, time for a fresh start, bro, which was a tough pill to swallow at the time, taking the news. But yeah, look, I'm just keen to finish out the season and see where things go over the next couple of weeks.”

Went from "mutually agreed" to "tough pill to swallow" in record time. That pretty much tells you all you need to know. They offered him a Bunty and that was it.

Not sure if Webby's hand is being forced on Jazz or if him and Cappy are just clearing cap to sign the squad they want, Jazz is apparently not in the plan.

I'm referring to Walker

Think with Jazz, because he is off contract, they would have been making moves with that money and maybe trying to fit him in.

Walker has a year to run so it's a bit more tricky with planning for that cap space.

Let's say both Jazz and Walker are gone and Tohu goes down again next year. Webby will be forced to fill 13 and rotation in quite a different way to how he done it so far.

That is kind of exciting to me

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back