• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
Been a big fan of Ngani but that ship has sailed.Dont want us to go down the Roger path again.
Think RTS was a wonderful player but only at FB & now past his best.
Likely to find Laumapi the same situation.
I think you are probably right but Ngani’s pedigree at centre is much better than RTS. Ngani had been an elite world class rugby centre which demands much more than RTS has shown. The doubts come around his age and probably a slowing of that explosiveness which made him so good. I’d want to know how he’s been going in Japan but would probably lean toward Leiataua and Moala Taufa for the future.

NZWarriors.com
Any chance they’d play him somewhere other that centre?

Between 20-30 minutes off the bench, on the edge, covering the outside backs if necessary (letting Capewell, Walker, and Marata stay in their position if an injury does pop up in the backline)

14. Walker
15. Luamape
16. Halasima/Laban/Ford
17. Zyon Maiu’u/Sifakula/Ale

Personally, I wouldn't want him to take a spot from any of the young centres. Bring him in for a specific role off the bench, and if a centre is out with injury, then the next centre up moves into the spot, not Ngani. Same deal as Walker last year: When Tohu was out, a different forward would take his spot, and Walker would stay on the bench.

If he is signed as a centre only, with the intention of taking a starting spot, or on more than a cheap deal, it is a bad signing imo

Do we think RTS is going to see out his contract? Just speculating, nothing to substantiate the thought, adding 1 + 1 and getting 437. Just wonder if his return isn't what he was hoping or thinking it would be. Supposed to play center but hasn't worked out and has been moved around through necessity. At times hasn't looked happy, a bit frustrated. Add the fall off in team results. The lure of money and less pressure in Japan must be tempting. With the Ngani post, would it be a stretch to see RTS leave at the end of the year and him to replace his position in the 30?
Would we be happy if that happened?

I've felt like he might head that way for a while, and I believe it would be mutually beneficial for both parties.

I'm not as against Ngani as others. The think I like about him is he is a great cog in the wheel. Strong in all suits, and can improve those around him. He has a good footy head on his shoulders.

Of course he'd need to be cheap (unlikely), and would still need to prove that he has the athleticism. He is not an All Black that went out to pasture in Japan though. He left early, while he was still the goods.

Leiataua, Berry, Pompey and Laumape is a decent enough set of centres that will do their job for 2025. I could see Ngani being really good for Leiataua's development. He'd have a lot of cross over skills to share. A one year deal, gives Kali another year, and makes Berry and Leiataua fight hard.

On the Laumape speculation. It reminds me of a quote I heard on the radio where someone said whenever you visit a country tell people you love it here and want to live here and you will get in the headlines. While visiting the club saying you have fond memories and have unfinished business would achieve a similar result.

It is from the Warriors social media so you could see it as a hint. In the past though they have done everything behind door and announced it when the deal is done.

I was a fan of his when he was here. It is a different proposition now. He's older, been out of the game a long time, the game has changed.

We are quite well off for centres.

I will throw this out there though. As a union player is this a chance to get him on the books using the policy for signing players from other codes?
I can't recall if it is not on the cap or if it is subsidized.
The way the NRL go back on fourth with this we'd sign him to under that and get told he doesn't meet some criteria they just made up.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
On the Laumape speculation. It reminds me of a quote I heard on the radio where someone said whenever you visit a country tell people you love it here and want to live here and you will get in the headlines. While visiting the club saying you have fond memories and have unfinished business would achieve a similar result.

It is from the Warriors social media so you could see it as a hint. In the past though they have done everything behind door and announced it when the deal is done.

I was a fan of his when he was here. It is a different proposition now. He's older, been out of the game a long time, the game has changed.

We are quite well off for centres.

I will throw this out there though. As a union player is this a chance to get him on the books using the policy for signing players from other codes?
I can't recall if it is not on the cap or if it is subsidized.
The way the NRL go back on fourth with this we'd sign him to under that and get told he doesn't meet some criteria they just made up.
that's a great point about the union subsidy. Has that been confirmed by the NRL?

He won’t sign. Club would have announced it when the deal was done instead of a feel good posts about how well the club is going.

It’s pure PR.

Not sure if we need him or could even fit him in.

Ali
RTS
Berry
Pompey
MGT

Where the fuck are these guys gonna go?
Anyone there that could play 6 a la John Sutton?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
He won’t sign. Club would have announced it when the deal was done instead of a feel good posts about how well the club is going.

It’s pure PR.

Not sure if we need him or could even fit him in.

Ali
RTS
Berry
Pompey
MGT

Where the fuck are these guys gonna go?

Yup total PR is the way I see it too.

Look at all the posts from media today about Warriors being the first team to sell out a whole season.

No mention of all the gimmicks, $10 general admission entry for the rest of the year. Some cracker deals during the mid-season slump etc.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Do we think RTS is going to see out his contract? Just speculating, nothing to substantiate the thought, adding 1 + 1 and getting 437. Just wonder if his return isn't what he was hoping or thinking it would be. Supposed to play center but hasn't worked out and has been moved around through necessity. At times hasn't looked happy, a bit frustrated. Add the fall off in team results. The lure of money and less pressure in Japan must be tempting. With the Ngani post, would it be a stretch to see RTS leave at the end of the year and him to replace his position in the 30?
Would we be happy if that happened?
All it's doing extending tohu, rts, sj etc when it's not clicking is just suffocating our youngsters from coming through.
Not saying our Juniors are gonna be a hundred percent but if everyone could be managed the way Berry came into 1st grade we be sweet

that's a great point about the union subsidy. Has that been confirmed by the NRL?
I'm sure I read somewhere, that isn't going to happen. Something about being unfair to other clubs etc.

Last edited:
Ngani was one of my favs back in the day but putting sentiments aside it’s a no- just not a good fit for our squad.
Sand dunes on the other hand…. That’s a hell yea- I’ve been wondering if we could jag a gun sevens player now the Olympics are done. He would fill our need for speed and has filled out at 93kg now. Comes with the bonus of having already played the game and is familiar with the set up- still only 24 too.
I’d be quite excited to bring him back.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back