• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
sj.png

Player Shaun Johnson

Date of Birth
Sep 9, 1990
Birth Location
Auckland, New Zealand
Nationality
  1. 🇳🇿 New Zealand
Height (cm)
179 cm
Weight (kg)
92 kg
Position/s
  1. Five-Eighth
  2. Halfback
Nickname
Princess
Forum Nickname/s
SJ
Warrior #
NRL Debut Date
Jun 4, 2011
NRL Debut Details
NRL 2011, Round 13, Sydney City Roosters
Warriors Debut Date
Jun 4, 2011
Warriors Debut Details
NRL 2011, Round 13, Sydney City Roosters
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2009
  2. 2010
  3. 2011
  4. 2012
  5. 2013
  6. 2014
  7. 2015
  8. 2016
  9. 2017
  10. 2018
  11. 2022
  12. 2023
  13. 2024
College/s
Orewa College
Signed To
Cronulla Sharks (2019-21)
Signed From
Hibiscus Coast Raiders
Junior Club/s
Hibiscus Coast Raiders
Previous Club/s
Cronulla Sharks (2019-21)
Current Club
NZ Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
  2. World/NRL All Stars
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Player of the Year
  2. Golden Boot
  3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Retired
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
Of all those responses, I'd be most honoured by The Wiggles :ROFLMAO:

Like a few others have mentioned, seeing him do his thing live was a joy, I'm glad I got to do that a bunch (mostly in Wellington but the odd occasion at Mt Smart). That home final last year against the Knights where he got a hero's reception with the lap of honour was amazing to be a part of 👏 I'll let that be my final memory of seeing him play in person (Eels game on Friday was a figment of my imagination hah!)

NZWarriors.com
Has it got much better?

Really not impressed with the man management happening this year. Its like head office is always on the back foot and reactive never proactive.
Yes, Walsh not allowed to leave until suitable replacement found, AFB allowed to leave after a year to give us time to find a replacement. Squad selection with regards to injury and bench rotation potentially not but there's a lot we don't see inside the club. If a player says they're good to go and medical team has no issues with it then you can't really fault Webby. We were also set back significantly on the development front due to covid but compared to 2 years ago we've come leaps and bounds, Otukolo released(rumors he wasn't putting in training) who's now playing QRL cup for Western Clydesdales of which they've won 1/15 games he's played, also the Kepu twins released and juniors like Laban, Halasima and Sifakula coming through all locked up for the future currently.

Anyways back to the thread topic SJ has absolutely bled for this club, would of been interesting to see as others have said how he would of gone with more stable coaching and a stronger squad around him, legend.

Did SJ even once attack the line last night and take a tackle? Serious question.

It was princess SJ last night. Just shuffle and distribute with aimless uncontested kicks. Pathetic conversion attempts to boot. Useless performance.

What’s strange is he made a couple of really good hits on D.

If you’re willing to give the hits you need to also take a few Princess. Harden the fuck up. Or retire.
Youse got what youse wanted. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😝

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
As a teenage league player playing against men I was a great stepper with above average pace but no size. But I was a good legs tackler.
Johnson had the step and the pace so I unashamedly idolised him despite him being 20 years younger.
So did my sons for his skill set and the step daughters for his looks.

One of the best to ever do it? Depends how you measure it.
Premierships? No.
Origin caps? No but isn't that the pinnacle?

When I use any metrics I don't consider him one of the best to ever do it.

But shit he's my favourite halfback. He's done what many premiership winners haven't by inspiring many being himself.

My description...... What he did, he did it like nobody else. I think that's it for me. Maybe

Would've been around 2006/07 i was coaching a schools touch team at a nationals and the word went round that there was this hot stepping kid from Orewa absolutely carving everyone and to check him out. Hot steppers in Touch are a dime a dozen and in a sport that has produced the best steppers of all codes in the likes of Remus Gentles and Benji Marshall before him (and id been stepped by both of them) i went to watch and was completely blown away. This kid was just audacious and unstoppable in the red zone, not just pulling off the most ridiculous step ever but the speed off the mark and then hitting his wingers on the chest with 20-30 metre left to right bullets....had seen plenty of talent and skill before but this left me gobsmacked.

Never once thought he'd be on the League radar tho cause this kid was as skinny as a rake. At the next years corresponding tournament couldnt believe the muscle he had packed on, thought he must have been on the roids.....he was still just as deadly on his feet tho and if anything faster, cause once he got open space he was going length of the field leaving some also pretty fast kids in his wake. Heard then that he did have a background in League, and that he had a big boot on him due to playing some AFL and that the Warriors had locked him up.

From then on made the point to follow him on the League path and to watch him progress and star in Juniors to NRL first grade to a stellar International career has for the most part just been a helluva enjoyable ride (pity the Turks hacked our site last year cause basically his whole career from start to finish was on that Shaun Johnson thread, which im sure Tahjay would confirm was one of the longest running biggest threads on our site).

He didnt always hit the mark for sure and maybe didnt develop his all round game as quick as we wouldve hoped, but as others have pointed out and ive always maintained over his formative years this club was an absolute basket case at times, with 5 coaches in 6 seasons (and a couple of dud ones at that) its little wonder......i cant think of any other playmaker who had to learn the game with that level of disfunction. Still, within that time he managed to produce some really iconic Warrior moments which showcased his exciting talent. At times when this club was at its most self destructive and an absolute rabble, Shaun was the one shining light that kept fans coming back on the hope that maybe he could do something special......couldnt do it all the time, but when he did it was always next level special.

I think cause he hasnt played for a while his International career has been criminally under rated. There was a small period of dominance we had over the Aussies which SJ was instrumental in. He was always someone they feared and generally he always played well against them......there's a try he scores where he makes Greg Inglis look like hes wearing concrete boots.....leaves him for dead.....this is Greg Inglis!.....whose alltime.....truly remarkable some of the greats he's made look...well.....ordinary!

Cant beat the clock tho and time (and injury) has caught up with him....its obviously showed this season and he'd be well aware of this more than anyone...i think.his legacy is still intact tho escpecially from that great season last year....may not have got the big one but he was still the Dally M halfback of the year....no one can take that off him. His impact and influence is without question as everyone from Nathan Cleary, Dylan Brown, Reece Walsh, Te Maire Martin, Chanel Harris Tavita and countless others have rated him an idol of theirs and as Cam George pointed out has perhaps been the single most influential individual in NZ rugby league in Kiwi kids choosing tp put on a pair of League boots....thats a helluva impact to have.

The fact also he's never once been involved in an ounce of off field shenanigans and just projects a real positive vibe, love for his family and Warriors......goes out a champion in my books.

Whenever you think of SJ you think of SJ's career you think pre-injury v Manly versus post-injury. I always think of his injury happening in the back end of his career. It is blowing my mind that it was in 2015 and he has had 9 seasons since.

Curse those dysfunctional Bluey et al times. Those few early years squandered.

Another highlight I haven't seen mentioned as much is the last gasp try against Great Britain in the 2013 World Cup semi. Scintillating.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Premierships? No.

When I use any metrics I don't consider him one of the best to ever do it.

But shit he's my favourite halfback. He's done what many premiership winners haven't by inspiring many being himself.

My description...... What he did, he did it like nobody else. I think that's it for me. Maybe
You can’t judge him on not having played origin!

Premierships? No.
International football for me and he dominated that.
Never forget him burning inglis to ice the four nations final against Australia in 2014- I almost jumped through the roof.
We beat them in the following Anzac test too to make it 3 in a row for the first time ever and I’m pretty sure he was man of the match all 3 games.

View: https://youtu.be/VCOHkioRSvQ?si=HJWy6kkTF9ZZaMDz

Never forget him burning inglis to ice the four nations final against Australia in 2014- I almost jumped through the roof.
We beat them in the following Anzac test too to make it 3 in a row for the first time ever and I’m pretty sure he was man of the match all 3 games.

Yes it's an awesome measure when you can play on a level field and he was able to shred teams. He is my favourite. Those are amazing memories of his achievements

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

Ooo yeah, that period of NZRL will be ingrained in my memory for a long time.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Gutted! Just gutted is about all i can say atm and it's been 2 days.

All these highlight reels we've been watching for years, I'll probably still be watching for years to come.

Taken up a good portion of most of our lives!

There's simply been nothing else like him.
yeah it feels that way for me too. just lost for words even though we knew it was coming. his impact on the game was profound. imagine the countless number of kids who would have tried to emulate him or looked upto him that really got into league. so many games where he singlehandedly won us games. he was special and itll be a long time before we have anyone remotely close to him.

Above all, it has to be said. He has always shown a lot of love for the club, and truely cherished each time he would run out of the tunnel at mt smart. Always spoke glowingly about he got to live his dream of playing for the warriors. From a fan to a club legend. And a good husband, father and never in media spotlight for negative reasons.

Farewell SJ. Enjoy your last few games and hope everyone gives him the send off he deserves. We will miss you.

Crazy to look at the correlation between SJ and Adam Reynolds careers being of similar ages. Came through in the under 20 final against each other both tipped for big futures. Reynolds got his title at the rabbits but had to make a track away from the team that he came through with just like SJ. Then to look at us and the broncos being in such similar situations after both having successful seasons last season though theirs a step further. The downward trajectory of both teams surely has issues inside the walls causing this?

Crazy to look at the correlation between SJ and Adam Reynolds careers being of similar ages. Came through in the under 20 final against each other both tipped for big futures. Reynolds got his title at the rabbits but had to make a track away from the team that he came through with just like SJ. Then to look at us and the broncos being in such similar situations after both having successful seasons last season though theirs a step further. The downward trajectory of both teams surely has issues inside the walls causing this?
Other thing I heard today is DCE and SJ made their debuts in 2011. Meet in the Grand final and gone on to great careers.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement