Sports Cricket World Cup 2023

I've watched cricket religiously for over three decades, and I thought if I ever saw a batsman timed out it would be for something blatant. His helmet broke on the way to the wicket. He entered the field as the dismissed batsman walked across the ropes. Shakib has always been an unpleasant cricketer.

The irony of wasting 5-10 mins of game time to give someone out for wasting 2...

It's an absurd rule.

It doesn't need to be a dismissal in this day and age. Should just come under time wasting regulations.

Fine him or deduct 5 runs for every 10 seconds over the time.

Not a dismissal
The problem is that the fielding side get punished for going over the time with their over rate.

Its a dumb dismissal and designed for deliberate time wasting, equipment failure.

I think a runs penalty would be the most effective deterrent for time wasting. 5 runs for every minute you are behind with the ball, and for every minute you waste with the bat.

Matthews should have asked the umpire to swap helmets before he took a walk back to the boundary, so yes it was dumb on his part, but the game didn't need that. Unfortunately, it was a close enough game that it may have been pivotal.

Shakib has entered the realms of Brad Haddin, Greg Dyer, Paul Collingwood, Chappell, which isn't a surprise as he has a long track record of being an ass. This is a man who was given a two year ban from the game for corruption among other things.

I was thinking the same thing.... indicate to your team mates that you need another helmet.... face six balls and then tell the umpire that you need to replace it during the change of ends.

Not really too difficult.... one would think.
It does raise an interesting question around player safety and head protection though doesn't it?

Any other time of the game this is a non-event and it isn't what the time out rule was implemented for.

It does raise an interesting question around player safety and head protection though doesn't it?

Any other time of the game this is a non-event and it isn't what the time out rule was implemented for.
Have the other batsman go down with "cramp" and when a medic comes out, he brings a spare helmet with him. Time to think outside the
1699327868429.png

It's an absurd rule.

It doesn't need to be a dismissal in this day and age. Should just come under time wasting regulations.

Fine him or deduct 5 runs for every 10 seconds over the time.

Not a dismissal
I partly agree - fine penalty when the delay is due to lack of speed (as it was in this case, I certainly don't think Sri Lanka took the time they did on purpose), run penalty to the opposition if the umpires believe there's excessive dawdling/meeting in the middle to whack the pitch for the tenth time/discussing how many centimetres further in fine leg should be etc..

5 runs per 10 seconds feels about right.

I would normally go Bangladesh over Sri Lanka just because of the underdog thing, but this does feel like a bit of a dick move. Same as the run-out in one of the Ashes Test that was due an English batter thinking the umpire had called "Over!" and dawdling out of his crease.

The first time either of those two incidents appens in a match, the captain with the oiption of enforcing the dismissal gives a very plain warning to the offending team. After that, all bets are off.

The Mankad is different because the offending batter is definitely trying to sneak an advantage so if the bowler's dexterous enough to throw the ball and hit the stumps during his run-up/do whatever he needse to affect a run-out, good for him.

I partly agree - fine penalty when the delay is due to lack of speed (as it was in this case, I certainly don't think Sri Lanka took the time they did on purpose), run penalty to the opposition if the umpires believe there's excessive dawdling/meeting in the middle to whack the pitch for the tenth time/discussing how many centimetres further in fine leg should be etc..

5 runs per 10 seconds feels about right.

I would normally go Bangladesh over Sri Lanka just because of the underdog thing, but this does feel like a bit of a dick move. Same as the run-out in one of the Ashes Test that was due an English batter thinking the umpire had called "Over!" and dawdling out of his crease.

The first time either of those two incidents appens in a match, the captain with the oiption of enforcing the dismissal gives a very plain warning to the offending team. After that, all bets are off.

The Mankad is different because the offending batter is definitely trying to sneak an advantage so if the bowler's dexterous enough to throw the ball and hit the stumps during his run-up/do whatever he needse to affect a run-out, good for him.
bit perdantic, but you don't need to throw the ball to break the stumps, you can just hold onto it. I've warned a batter about gaining an advantage, said next time I'll run you out. Worked a treat.

Fair enough for Matthews to want a new helmet, he wouldn’t know Shakib would be such a prick and I have seen players fainting after getting hit on the head by the ball running between the wicket with a cap, there’s a reason most batters still wear helmets vs spin

It's silly he was given out timed out because he wanted to replace the helmet which broke after he settled at the crease, specially after the ICC made helmets mandatory in certain situations just earlier this year.

He would have had to put his safety at risk if he wanted to avoid getting timed out, which to be fair would have been the last thing on his mind.

Shakib has now been ruled out of the world cup with a fractured finger. eat a d#ck. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

Back