NRL NRL Round 14, 2024 Discussion

Honestly - don't let players jump. If the game is going to be ruled this way then they should stop defenders from putting themselves in vulnerable positions.

If a live ball is not in possession then players should be desperately competing for the ball. I don't see it any different to trying to secure a ball on the ground and cannon-balling into another player's knee. This is a game of collisions.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that. But surely if it's a game of collisions you have to acknowledge that players are going to get it wrong, and when they do they're putting someone at serious risk of harm and should be penalised as such.

I'd like to see what Benji could do with a roster, just hope they give him a fair go

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that. But surely if it's a game of collisions you have to acknowledge that players are going to get it wrong, and when they do they're putting someone at serious risk of harm and should be penalised as such.
What I am saying is if the NRL needs to fix an area of danger for the players, it would be good to do it in a way that keeps the traditional contest alive. Contesting bombs is an exciting part of a team's attacking arsenal. If a rule change occurs where neither the attacker or defender is allowed to jump then the integrity of that contest remains because neither the attacker or defender is at a disadvantage.

We have seen the Warriors put away the act of contesting SJs bomb because it is too high risk for Webster and the team. That is a shame for the game. It is also a shame if Lomax is punished for ball watching in that situation, especially if it makes him think otherwise next time. The game would lose a lot without him trying to make those offensive plays.

Either don't police it as more than an accident if both players are genuinely competing (which Lomax was) or change the rules to make it safer and fair.

Lomax is one of the games biggest draw cards at the moment, and there is a chance he is rubbed out next week for trying to score a try.

What's to say Benji can coach though. He's been assistant coach to a losing Tim Sheens.... That's it.
They saw something in him and gave him the gig, now they've gotta stick with him, let him pick a roster and show they made a professional decision, they've been a basket case for years, they can't let it continue, ball's in Benji's court

Lomax got it wrong taking out bomb catcher’s legs mid air causing him to land on his shoulder and head, knocked out. Just on report lol, this is not even a bouncing ball situ like the Garrick one by Charnz

If that’s a go we can just get Berry to contest and chop off Air Coates’ legs and let him land on his head, but it will be a straight sent off for us lol

Benji Marshall unloading on the tigers after the game last night. Bet the media has him lined up about disappearing to Fiji on holiday with his family and the tigers offer that performance up

Let's be honest, Benji getting the tigers job was patronage pure and simple. Being a tigers legend shouldn't blind people to the fact that i) he had next to no coaching experience and ii) he is not what the tigers need. As much as the media and much of the NRL world would like him to succeed, he is not the answer.
For his own sake, he needs to step down as head coach, and get a longer apprenticeship somewhere as an assistant. Would be cool to see him working with Stacey at the kiwis.

For his own sake, he needs to step down as head coach, and get a longer apprenticeship somewhere as an assistant. Would be cool to see him working with Stacey at the kiwis.
Agree. Go the Sam Burgees route.

Something really not clicking over there. Fans can see Utoikamanu isn’t trying and obviously searching for a way out after such stupid clauses in his contract. Poor Koriasau is trying his guts out and has limited back up

Yeah that probably SHOULD have happened, however now he's coach I think they need to stick with him for a while to see if he can get this rabble to perform. I'd give him to the end of next year at least

They do seem to be playing better in patches, but aren't able to be consistent for a whole game.

Next year they'll have a spine of Bula, Luai, Galvin, and Api which is pretty decent.

I'd be giving Galvin, the Fainu boys and a few of their younger guys more games in the hopes of getting them ready for next year

Did he even want to be a coach though?

Sounded like it all happened because Buzz came up with the idea of Sheens into Benji. Benji seemed quite happy doing his media stuff with Fox and put his hand up to help because the Tigers asked him.

Back