NRL NRL Naughty chair

Bryan Fletcher, Broncos CEO, Corey Oates all trotting out the "He's just a young guy, we all make mistakes" line of defence.

Mother appeared on 9 news with her daughter who has a fractured hip and is traumatised.

Lawyers circling like sharks right now.
If all young guys made these types of mistakes the population would be a lot lower. As due to the law of averages a few wouldn't injure the other party but it would end up worse.

Yes that does happen and a lot of us have done stuff we regret when we were younger. But this is on the higher scale.

On if he will get prison time or not. The headlines always have the worse outcome as it is more sensational. My thinking is similar to the Golriz Ghahraman case. If it was a normal everyday person who isn't in the public eye would they get treated the same way? The law should be unbiased in terms of people have fame or not etc. But they can afford better lawyers which can throw it off.

The NRL has had a lot of player related issues. They have been lucky with how serious a lot of the issues have been when you look at the punishments received. There may have been some younger or lesser named guys that got sacked or got prison time. Packer was the main one, that was at the time that type of offence was causing headlines.

This is a serious incident with a few different offences. If he were to get jail time maybe it would be 6-18 months or something to get him off the streets. I have no knowledge of Australian law or previous offences etc just that this is probably closer to the type of offences that would get jail time in my opinion.

NZWarriors.com
The narrative right now seems to be 8-12 week suspension and a fine.

Seems light to me. NRL should take things like this out of the clubs self interested hands.

I understand the Broncos don't want to lose a good player and then watch him walk into another team.

That's why the NRL should step in. He should be suspended/de-registered for the year, Broncos get that cap back and his contract can kick in when he's proven he's got his shit together.

The narrative right now seems to be 8-12 week suspension and a fine.

Seems light to me. NRL should take things like this out of the clubs self interested hands.

I understand the Broncos don't want to lose a good player and then watch him walk into another team.

That's why the NRL should step in. He should be suspended/de-registered for the year, Broncos get that cap back and his contract can kick in when he's proven he's got his shit together.
He’s checked into rehab already apparently, so will be hoping to earn brownie points (an unfortunate pun) from that. Seems very light to me also 8-12 weeks and a fine

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I know we all mostly agree the 14 years is unlikely and makes a good headline.

But wouldn't the no-fault stand-down apply here? Or has that been scraped due to complaints from when it was used in the past.

Might be unpopular but I believe the judiciary system should mainly deal with this.

It’s nothing really to do with on field and/or sporting performance.

He needs punishing for bringing the game into disrepute (8 weeks?) but the legal system should be the foremost judge for how bad it is and what the punishment should be with a proper criminal investigation.

I honestly don’t have much faith in the NRL with its vested interests vs the judiciary system to judge the crime.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Went to the Melbourne cup last year and huge cues outside mens toilets. Couldn't understand why.
All the guys going in to snort.
True. NRL players are surrounded by urgers and if a player has a little chink in his character they will exploit it without doubt.
Of course they will want something in return. Dangerous people who are ready to pounce

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If anyone was worried about Madge being over ruled by player power, I think Ezra has just fixed that. Be interesting to see what fallout there will be over the next season or two. My big fear is that Madge will galvanize this club and they will be strong for a number of years now.
Yeah that is a terrible prospect if he can get them back to being a powerhouse, wouldn't be surprised if he does. Might depend on whether his old school methods alienate the younger players.

"And get rid of that nail polish Walshy, it's not the Rocky Horror Show!"

Yeah that is a terrible prospect if he can get them back to being a powerhouse, wouldn't be surprised if he does. Might depend on whether his old school methods alienate the younger players.

"And get rid of that nail polish Walshy, it's not the Rocky Horror Show!"
I actually don't think it's going to take much to turn them around. The biggest issue I think is now Reynolds at 7 with his age and injuries impacting more than the positives he brings. And maybe now who plays 6.....
I can imagine a player like Pat Carrigan will absolutely love a coach like Madge.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I used to read a lot of musicians' autobiographies. You'd read a lot of crazy drug stories and wonder what the public thinks when they run into these crazy people.

NRL players and cars are getting similar.

At least pre-season is starting soon so most of them should clean up their diets. We might get a bit of peace and quiet until Christmas.

I actually don't think it's going to take much to turn them around. The biggest issue I think is now Reynolds at 7 with his age and injuries impacting more than the positives he brings. And maybe now who plays 6.....
I can imagine a player like Pat Carrigan will absolutely love a coach like Madge.
Madge will only be as strong as the board & Senior officials allow him.
They have failed miserably in the past.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Madge will only be as strong as the board & Senior officials allow him.
They have failed miserably in the past.
I wouldn't be surprised if the board think we have a coach big on discipline and leaves him to it. Easy escape route for them to stand off.

Mcguire is in an interesting place. He can deal with the "modern" player and let them wear their sunglasses and jewellery the media go on about that he'd ban. He could go the route of as long as you they train hard and get results on the field. The media will look silly but winning is the more important part.

Or he could go hard and worry about dress code and everything the media has been pushing he'd change. That could work or end up with disgruntled players.

The media are saying he won't tolerate this type of behaviour, but I'm not sure that is guaranteed. He may feel he went too hard at the Tigers and needs to back off. Or give them a chance first.

I wouldn't be surprised if the board think we have a coach big on discipline and leaves him to it. Easy escape route for them to stand off.

Mcguire is in an interesting place. He can deal with the "modern" player and let them wear their sunglasses and jewellery the media go on about that he'd ban. He could go the route of as long as you they train hard and get results on the field. The media will look silly but winning is the more important part.

Or he could go hard and worry about dress code and everything the media has been pushing he'd change. That could work or end up with disgruntled players.

The media are saying he won't tolerate this type of behaviour, but I'm not sure that is guaranteed. He may feel he went too hard at the Tigers and needs to back off. Or give them a chance first.
Whatever path he chooses he will need the full backing of the Board.
Not something they have been good at recently.

Back