International New Zealand Kiwis

Probably shows our depth is a bit overstated given how weak the team looks.

There's not much behind Hughes/Walker now SJ is done and Foz not far behind.

NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Maybe that should be the criteria- play for whichever passport(s) u hold
And what if you have both(dual citizenship)? :)

And i wonder how many Tongans/Samoans/Fijians have passports for the country they represent?

Why cant we simply have a mandatory stand down period of 3 years if a player decides they want to now represent another nation? Surely that would give more food for thought when players decide who they are? Doesnt Union do this?

Really liking the players choose Tonga/Samoa over the Tier one nations, but its a sore point that these players can be eligible to play SOO, but players who represent NZ cant.

And i wonder how many Tongans/Samoans/Fijians have passports for the country they represent?

Why cant we simply have a mandatory stand down period of 3 years if a player decides they want to now represent another nation? Surely that would give more food for thought when players decide who they are? Doesnt Union do this?

Really liking the players choose Tonga/Samoa over the Tier one nations, but its a sore point that these players can be eligible to play SOO, but players who represent NZ cant.
International eligibility rules have always been fucked. Who makes the call with this stuff? The Aussies or is there a International panel from all nations that makes the rules?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Flying around with the kangaroos on his nz passport :rolleyes:.
If u can’t even get a passport for the country you’re playing for u probably shouldn’t be playing for them…
Maybe that should be the criteria- play for whichever passport(s) u hold :unsure:
$398 ten year Aussie passport.
Think the Nz ten year costs less.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

I think the times coming when they'll need to allow Kiwi eligible players to play Origin.
It could actually improve both products too.

I don’t actually have a problem with players with dual citizenship being able to choose who they play for.
Would prefer a bit less chopping and changing but believe a 3 year stand down would be going a bit far.
My son was born in Australia so I can understand the desire to represent both your country and your heritage.
Although, given the choice he would opt for Qld and nz which speaks to your other point.- the rules around kiwis in origin need to be relaxed- the whole tier thing is ridiculous.
Origin already has the rule u need to be in Australia before 13- don’t understand why they need additional criteria just for us.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I feel like it should be tied more to the World Rankings and the World Cup cycles.

Let players go to a team lower in the rankings if they want, but if a player does want to go to a team up the rankings, they need to wait until the end of the current or following World Cup Cycle, something like that. Let the talent trickle down, but lock that talent in so nations can actually build combinations, not having players become mercenaries come WC time.

Example being Nanai choosing Samoa this year, that's great, but if he wanted to play for the Kangaroos again, since they are higher ranked he should have to wait until after the 2026WC, or if you really wanted to restrict it, after the 2030WC.

I'd go so far as to say if he wanted to play for the Kiwis, even though he has already played for the Kangaroos, let him, open that up as well; he just has to serve his time with Samoa first.

If there was a stand-down period, Nanai would have either kept playing for the Kangaroos the rest of his career, or we would have missed out on having one the best backrowers in international league for X years, neither of which help imo.

And then, of course, open up SOO. Let Victor Radley play for NSW, and Let Ponga play for New Zealand. That doesn't even need to be said.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Hughes out. We're cooked now.
Dally M Medal-winning halfback Jahrome Hughes has today been ruled out of the New Zealand Kiwis’ Pacific Championships campaign this month.

The 30-year-old Hughes was named in the 21-man New Zealand squad on Tuesday less than 48 hours after playing in Melbourne’s 6-14 NRL grand final loss to Penrith.

In announcing the team head coach Stacey Jones said Hughes had been troubled by a neck injury but it was hoped he would recover to be involved in the Kiwis’ Tests against the Australian Kangaroos and Tonga.

However, after further medical assessment a devastated Hughes has been told he won’t be fit to play.

“Jahrome is understandably shattered and we really feel for him,” said Jones.

“He has had an outstanding year and he was going to play a key role for the Kiwis again.

“He was desperate to play and we thought, with some time on our side, he would come right with treatment but he has since received medical advice that he won’t be ready to play.”

Hughes’ replacement will be named soon.

Back