NRL Melbourne Storm

Melbourne Storm
Untitled design (37).png

Bellamy eyeing more success after extending stay in Melbourne

Craig Bellamy is staying on with the Melbourne Storm after confirming his commitment to coach the team for a 23rd season in 2025.

The experienced mentor is in the midst of a five-year deal he signed with the Storm in 2022 that provides the option to transition to a coaching director role after each season.

That may be the long-term plan, but Bellamy remains committed to coaching the club and is excited to lead the current crop of players to NRL glory.

“I’ve always maintained that I will only continue coaching if the coaches, players and club think I still have something to offer,” Bellamy said.

“As I said last season, my focus now is helping individuals learn and grow. If we can help players and coaches improve, the team will improve.

“We have a really settled list now and I have seen this group of players grow on and off the field over the last couple of seasons. They have already shown some great improvement in the first few rounds this season, but there is a lot more ahead for them and I am excited about what that might look like."

Bellamy has developed into one of the most successful coaches in the NRL since taking over the Storm in 2003. He has led the team in 555 games, winning 387 at an impressive 70% winning rate while also clinching three premierships (2012, 2017 and 2020) and five minor premierships (2011, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2021).

Craig Bellamy coached his 500th NRL game in 2022.

In addition to Melbourne's on-field success, Bellamy has successfully navigated the departure of a host of stars without results falling away, with the likes of Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and the Bromwich brothers moving to other clubs or retiring throughout the past decade.

The coach has developed a new generation of players to maintain sustained success, with Harry Grant, Cameron Munster, Ryan Papenhuyzen and Jahrome Hughes helping the team to second on the ladder after 10 rounds this season.

Bellamy's decision is a major boost before the Storm host the Sharks in a top-of-the-table clash on Saturday night.

The announcement will also provide certainty for the playing group and coaching staff as Storm officials plan for 2025 and beyond.

“Craig is coaching as well as he ever has and is not showing any signs of slowing down,” Storm chairman Matt Tripp said.

“He has a great support base with his assistant coaches and high-performance staff which gives Craig the chance to focus on what he has done extremely well for 22 seasons at Storm.

“In our opinion, Craig is the best coach to have ever coached in the NRL and we were prepared to give him as long as he needed to decide if 2024 was to be his last in charge.

“His approach to this season has shown he has plenty left to offer and we are extremely happy he will be leading this team again in 2025.”

This dude just won't quit.

It is an impressive run at one club. Been through a lot of era in terms of changes to their playing roster.

Bennett was 1988 - 2008 his first term at the Broncos. Bellamy now exceeds that.

I can't see Bellamy finishing at the Storm and moving around like Bennett.

It is an impressive run at one club. Been through a lot of era in terms of changes to their playing roster.

Bennett was 1988 - 2008 his first term at the Broncos. Bellamy now exceeds that.

I can't see Bellamy finishing at the Storm and moving around like Bennett.
Yeah agree. I was more coming from the fact that neither will stop with the coaching. They will try to keep coaching until they drop. I could see Webster being the same.

Yeah agree. I was more coming from the fact that neither will stop with the coaching. They will try to keep coaching until they drop. I could see Webster being the same.
My post wasn't a dig at your post. Just that with them both having such a long tenure at one club it is a natural comparison.

After Bennett moved on from the Broncos I thought he'd have 1-2 goes at different clubs and call it a day. Or at least another long tenure at a club. Mind you after winning at the Dragons a premiership at 3rd club became a goal. Then he also moved back to Brisbane and it sounded like he was there until retirement as the talk was he wanted to be in Queensland. That fell over and he's been back to Sydney and back to Queensland since.

Bellamy it seems wants to finish up and move to be close to his family and relax.

Back