• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Pick Your Team Dolphins vs Warriors - [Round 23, 2024]

Zero Tackle, one never shy of printing an unsubstantiated rumour, did post an article that outlined with facts iver the weekend!
It’s hard to write, but we have won more games this season without SJ in the lineup than with him.
For the moment it looks like a TMM / Metcalf combo for next season at least, with a CHT on the bench.
The romantic in me would love to see Taine Tuaupiki given a shot in the halves, but that’s a big transition, one that possibly needs to happen if we are going to keep him at the club long term.

The horror stat which proves Warriors must move on from Shaun Johnson​

Is it time for the Warriors to go in a new direction at seven?​

Scott Pryde
EDITOR | August 4, 2024 - 2:59pm

It's not a sentence any rugby league fan would like to read, but Shaun Johnson is holding the New Zealand Warriors back.

Johnson, who was so strong for the Warriors in the 2023 campaign as the Warriors made the preliminary final, hasn't hit the same mark this go around.
In the club's second season under Andrew Webster, the infamous inconsistency that has plagued the Warriors for decades is back, and as it stands, on the back of their latest loss to the Parramatta Eels last weekend, they look almost certainties to miss the finals.

As it stands, the Warriors have won just 8 of their 20 games this season, and even to get to the usual mark of 12 wins, they would need to win all four of their remaining games. They do have the extra point for a bye which could help, but realistically, they are not going to make the finals with anything short of a perfect final month to close out the season.
With away trips to the Dolphins and Manly Sea Eagles in the next fortnight followed by hosting the Canterbury Bulldogs and travelling to play the Cronulla Sharks before a final-round bye, it's hardly a straightforward run to the finish line either.
The real question coach Webster must answer is what role, if any, Johnson plays over the closing weeks of the season.
The Warriors, to this point, have played 13 games with Johnson this year. They have won just 3, drawing another and losing 9.
The big issue with that is that the Warriors have won five from seven with Johnson sidelined.
That should have alarm bells ringing in Auckland, with it fairly clear the Warriors went to water at both ends of the park against Parramatta despite being at home in front of a big crowd and playing for their season realistically on Friday evening.
In fact, the club, following their Round 6 draw with Johnson in the side, have lost all of their next seven games with the experienced - now 33-year-old - halfback playing.
Those losses - to the St George Illawarra Dragons, Gold Coast Titans, Newcastle Knights, Sydney Roosters, Melbourne Storm, Gold Coast Titans and now Eels - have seen the Warriors score a collective 112 points. That's only just over 16 points per game.
Even factoring in the early chunk of the season where they did find more success, the Warriors have averaged just 18.8 points per game with Johnson on the side this campaign.
Playing without Johnson (Round 11-14 and again from Round 17-21), the Warriors beat the Penrith Panthers, the Dolphins and the North Queensland Cowboys in the first stint without a loss, before beating the Brisbane Broncos and Wests Tigers in the second stint with narrow losses by a point to the Canterbury Bulldogs and two points against the Canberra Raiders.
The more alarming statistic is that in those seven games, the Warriors scored 25.4 points per game in the contests without Johnson.
It has to be noted that Johnson has played his best football in the last 18 months when paired with Luke Metcalf, and he too has been missing for the Warriors for much of this season injured, but it's no excuse.
The backup options, which started with Te Maire Martin (who was partnered with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad for one game and Chanel Harris-Tavita for six) could spark the Warriors to an extra seven points per game, and nine points per game if you only take into account from the point Johnson last registered a competition point for his side, is extremely alarming.
NRL Rd 2 - Roosters v Warriors

Johnson's play doesn't just fail the statistical test either.
It fails the eye test.
He hasn't been at the same level this year. That much has been abundantly clear to see. His kicking game has been off, his timing all wrong at times, and his decision-making certainly not on the level it was last year when he played such a large role for the Warriors to make the top four.
That's not to say he can't get back there, but if the Warriors are serious about bringing a new era of consistency and success to the club, it may have to be without their champion number seven.
It will be the toughest of conversations to have for Webster and his recruitment and retention staff. Johnson is the Warriors. The Warriors are Johnson.
The gun halfback, by all reports, wants to play on into 2025 even though he is currently uncontracted beyond the end of this campaign.
But sometimes, a divorce is the way to keep things alive for both parties.
This might be one of those circumstances.

NZWarriors.com
I dunno. Ali & Taufa were terrible. Lets not fuck their confidence up anymore and let play the year out in cup with an eye on 1st grade next season....Just stick all the old fullas @ center and wings and start Taine @FB TT DWZ CNK RTS Montoya.
TMM & SJ halves. Stack the forward pack /Bench with young fullas.

Tuaupiki
DWZ
CNK
RTS
Montoya
TMM
SJ
AFB
Roache
Barnett
Sifaklua
Capewell
Halasima

Nuikore (Prop)
Bunty
Laban
Metcalf (Ease him in)

I have no clue lol. Backline may be a mess but Forward pack I like.

Can't think of many recent teams who threw half a dozen rookies into the fire "just because season over" and came out of it in a few years time with consistent results. Especially when the most likely scenario is they get belted if they have to play more than one game against a team who isn't taking things lightly expecting a cakewalk.

Definitely need a re-think in regards to our approach next season, but abandoning everything and playing musical chairs with rookies for the last month probably doesn't benefit us much at all.

Despite that article above If I were the coach I would stick with Johnson and CHT for the next 4 games. If Johnson fails to deliver then we don't sign him next year. Interestingly that article says he is not signed for next year even though many on the forum claim he is.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Despite that article above If I were the coach I would stick with Johnson and CHT for the next 4 games. If Johnson fails to deliver then we don't sign him next year. Interestingly that article says he is not signed for next year even though many on the forum claim he is.
I agree. If they cant pull out a decent performance in at least one of these games (even if its a close loss) then it should tell you enough heading in to next season about SJ and CHT as a combo.

Also gives TMM and Metcalf some games in cup to build a partnership and show what they may be able to bring to the table.

I agree. If they cant pull out a decent performance in at least one of these games (even if its a close loss) then it should tell you enough heading in to next season about SJ and CHT as a combo.

Also gives TMM and Metcalf some games in cup to build a partnership and show what they may be able to bring to the table.
Yes Inruin

Basically my point is, even though you get it already Inruin but for anybody else reading, we are a long shot at winning our four games, by playing Johnson we definitely get a different win guaranteed and something coming out of those matches which is with all definiteness making a decision on him for next year and putting us on a good footing to use the money set aside for Johnson to recruit another half this off season if SJ does not perform. Be that Sexton or whoever. And if we don't sign Johnson we do need to recruit as we cant get through next season with just CHT, Luke, and TMM.

Yes Inruin

Basically my point is, even though you get it already Inruin but for anybody else reading, we are a long shot at winning our four games, by playing Johnson we definitely get a different win guaranteed and something coming out of those matches which is with all definiteness making a decision on him for next year and putting us on a good footing to use the money set aside for Johnson to recruit another half this off season if SJ does not perform. Be that Sexton or whoever. And if we don't sign Johnson we do need to recruit as we cant get through next season with just CHT, Luke, and TMM.
Any of the junior halves any good Wrighty or do they need time

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Who really cares at all.
I'm finding it difficult to contain my indifference, I'll still keep following them out of habit to see what Webby does with the rest of the season, he claims they're still going after the wins, reckon he'll name same team this week and if we don't beat the phins he might look to next year and try something different.

I'm finding it difficult to contain my indifference, I'll still keep following them out of habit to see what Webby does with the rest of the season, he claims they're still going after the wins, reckon he'll name same team this week and if we don't beat the phins he might look to next year and try something different.
Last year we lost 34/10
Kalani and Roache played

I have now got a free ticket so will be going

I hold little hope of a win esp after the Phins playing quite well last week

Sadly I paid to go last year and was disappointed
The next game I saw live was the 66/6 loss to the Titans.

Grrr

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
With Webster saying he wants to win the next games this is my team to win.

Tuaupiki
DWZ
CNK
Ali
RTS

Metcalf
TMM
AFB
Egan
Barnett
Capewell
Halasima
Jazz/Ale

CHT
Nuikore
Sifakula/Maiu'u
Ale/Jazz

CHT is hooker cover and halves cover if Metcalf craps out. Leka gets a start so we have some x-factor on the edge. Nuikore to cover middle unless Leka gets found out which I do not think he would. Sifakula or Maiu'u to get hopefully 20 minutes. Probably would prefer Sifakula as he covers more positions and is a bigger body. Lock of either Ale or Jazz. We just do not have options there if Walker and Tohu are not available.

Tuaupiki to be used as a 5th tackle option early. Doesn't need to be used much but needs to be seen as a threat by the Dolphins which should help TMM and Metcalf. Not much we can do about speed as I believe we do not have anyone ready yet.

With Webster saying he wants to win the next games this is my team to win.

Tuaupiki
DWZ
CNK
Ali
RTS

Metcalf
TMM
AFB
Egan
Barnett
Capewell
Halasima
Jazz/Ale

CHT
Nuikore
Sifakula/Maiu'u
Ale/Jazz

CHT is hooker cover and halves cover if Metcalf craps out. Leka gets a start so we have some x-factor on the edge. Nuikore to cover middle unless Leka gets found out which I do not think he would. Sifakula or Maiu'u to get hopefully 20 minutes. Probably would prefer Sifakula as he covers more positions and is a bigger body. Lock of either Ale or Jazz. We just do not have options there if Walker and Tohu are not available.

Tuaupiki to be used as a 5th tackle option early. Doesn't need to be used much but needs to be seen as a threat by the Dolphins which should help TMM and Metcalf. Not much we can do about speed as I believe we do not have anyone ready yet.
OK with SJ announcing his retirement he can play 7 for the rest of the season. Doesn't matter how he plays the club owes him that. I suspect with the announcement he will play more freely.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
It's no longer a fire. It's embers on the stones in the hangi pitt that got rained on in the weekend and put what little chance of a fire out. I for one would like to see change. For no particularly reason but to see some young fullas get excited at playing first grade again.

Can't see many successful clubs being built around "no particular reason". As fans we have that luxury, so yeah I get what you mean. I'd be more excited to watch some rookies/debutants test themselves too, but I'd be very concerned if the coaches/club thought that way.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back