• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Centres for 2025

Who’s your 2 starting centres for 2025?

• Total voters
Why do people see the need to force TT into the team? I’m not against ii I just don’t know if he offers anything additional. He can produce a few tackle busts like CNK but I don’t think you will see a whole lot of try assists from him if we play in a similar fashion to this year

NZWarriors.com
Why do people see the need to force TT into the team? I’m not against ii I just don’t know if he offers anything additional. He can produce a few tackle busts like CNK but I don’t think you will see a whole lot of try assists from him if we play in a similar fashion to this year
I thought he was sweeping around from fullback much like CNK last year and adding another attacker to the right. He was given the reins at fullback to start this season but CNK was injured to begin with so he would have been starting fullback otherwise. Interesting to think of how the nsw origin team was playing at one stage with 3 fullbacks in their backline, Tedesco fullback, Latrell Mitchell at centre and Tom Trbjovich other centre. I wonder if we could see something similar with Tuaupiki fullback, CNK at centre and RTS wing? As it stands, we’ve got 3 highly regarded fullbacks on the books next year

I thought he was sweeping around from fullback much like CNK last year and adding another attacker to the right. He was given the reins at fullback to start this season but CNK was injured to begin with so he would have been starting fullback otherwise. Interesting to think of how the nsw origin team was playing at one stage with 3 fullbacks in their backline, Tedesco fullback, Latrell Mitchell at centre and Tom Trbjovich other centre. I wonder if we could see something similar with Tuaupiki fullback, CNK at centre and RTS wing? As it stands, we’ve got 3 highly regarded fullbacks on the books next year
Yeah he has 3 try assists from 6 games using the sweep to the right so is no slouch, but certainly did not ignite the attack early in the season when we had large amounts of ball in good territory. I’m certainly not opposed to him being in the line up but after 6 rounds if he has minimal try assists and not much has changed so you revert back to CNK?

Yeah he has 3 try assists from 6 games using the sweep to the right so is no slouch, but certainly did not ignite the attack early in the season when we had large amounts of ball in good territory. I’m certainly not opposed to him being in the line up but after 6 rounds if he has minimal try assists and not much has changed so you revert back to CNK?
Could even be that he’s finding confidence later in the season rather than early on after playing consistently in nsw cup and called up to first grade when needed? I was really impressed against the sharks, he kept poking through. He offers a kicking game that could be utilised that the other two options don’t either. We perhaps would lose a little bit defensively with his size at fullback but I was encouraged he took Hazelton on in his try at least, contesting high balls could also be an issue with his height? I’ve personally changed my view after wanting RTS back there before the sharks game to giving Tuaupiki first shot, just feel like fullback as a position has evolved to the prototype of Tuaupiki. Interesting talking about those 3 fullbacks potentially in our starting side next year, we could actually nearly have a whole backline? If the starting one was
Tuaupiki
DWZ (bulldogs fullback at one point)
CNK
Leiataua (would make a good fullback)
RTS
Metcalf (has played fullback before)
TMM (was broncos fullback)

Reactions: CWC
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
3 try assists in 6 games of which 2 were limited minutes & the other 4 were against the Sharks twice, Storm & Panthers. It’s a decent strike rate against quality opposition.

I'd go with Berry and Leiataua.

Berry does a lot of the little things well. He runs good lines and leads the kick chase well. Hopefully he gets over his injury to get another full pre-season. Develop a bit more.

Leiataua we need to get charging onto the ball like how he made the break against the Dolphins a few weeks ago and against the Sharks on the weekend. Imagine having a play close to the line and he's charging to a gap with a few decoy runners around him. He has also had a few good plays with TMM where he's scored getting put through a gap. Hopefully, the young fella trains hard over the off-season.

The other one I wouldn't write off is Pompey. We will get injuries and unless we win constantly chances are there will be some changes. I know he's not popular but he often makes his assignment on defense. He is also a reliable goal-kicker. Anyone else likely to kick will need to put in a lot of time.

Let's hope whoever isn't selected kills it in NSW Cup. Keep the pressure on the guys in first grade.

I saw a report that every player in the squad will be available for pre season. Hope they all come back fully fit and healthy. Gonna be a long pre season.

Feel like it is impossible to answer this without it spilling into yarn about Fullback, and a bit on the wing too lol

I like how Charnze went on the left when he was five eight, and when we were playing mostly down that edge to start the Storm home game. So I'd pop him at left centre.

With Te Maires' boot, I imagine/hope we don't see quite as much of Rocco gassing himself being the lead chaser on the old bomb to the right. Give him more opportunities to show what he has got in attack, and he can link back up with DWZ.

RTS goes back to fullback. Loved just about everything when Roger was back there (Maybe a bit of nostalgia to be fair). Was out of position a few times but his try saving ability is second to none, and I think that would be patched up with a preseason at fullback instead of centre. I don't think Charnze was much of a ball player with Canberra either, yet come 2023 he was key to that cheat code block play on the right. I think with a preseason working on it, RTS can be serviceable sweeping around and ball playing. Not as good as Taine would be, but enough.

Ali I still think would be perfect on the wing, at least for a season so he can get some real consistent FG under his belt. Charnze on his inside, or Pompey in the case of injury, gives him a solid centre to pair him with defensively. Charnze is off contract, so you could potentially let him walk, shift Ali in, then put Pasikala in there going into 2026.

If Webby persists with potentially having an unused player on the bench, at least let it be Taine more times that not. Bitta Tyran Wishart sort of action.

So-
1. RTS
2. DWZ
3. Berrysiah
4. CNK
5. Lisan Ali Gaib

Pompey next man up at centre, Taine next up at fullback, Montoya (or Pasikala as the year goes on) next up on the wing, Machine Gun filling holes as needed.

As a side note, Pompey is now the third longest-tenured centre in club history, behind Toopi and Ropati. Crazy

Last edited:
TT only played 8 mins and 46mins for two of those 6 games. CNK has 4 try assists at fullback this season from 15 games so.....

Two different styles of player IMO. CNK probably more solid and a work horse. TT probably more elusive and creative.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I think you need to go watch the highlights again. TT was serving up TA and LB assists all night.

Taine was epic and clutch in the Panthers game, then he had like 8 minutes against the Raiders before failing HIA, then he was epic again vs Sharks a top 4 side priding their defense this year.

He clearly grew a leg mid season and is ready.

Also notice how in the epic win over the Panthers we had Taine linking at the back and Charnz bashing up the enemy at the front? Same again in the Sharks game, Taine linking and Charnz bashing them at the front.

There's just an extra potency when your link man is fast and is clearly enhanced his link plays the last few months, and your centre running straight is a big hearty man with some distribution skills, instead of vise versa. Berry unfortunately can't straighten it up or defend aggressively at that intensity without getting injured. If we want our FB running 250m with 2 carries per set, Roger can do that receiving defensive punts then let TT take over the link role after 3 tackles.

Unless it goes downhill with more samples, but IMO CNK at front+TT FB combo is 2/2 this year. Btw having Metcalf & Ali there doesn't hurt lol

Last edited:
Taine was epic and clutch in the Panthers game, then he had like 8 minutes against the Raiders before failing HIA, then he was epic again vs Sharks a top 4 side priding their defense this year.

He clearly grew a leg mid season and is ready.

Also notice how in the epic win over the Panthers we had Taine linking at the back and Charnz bashing up the enemy at the front? Same again in the Sharks game, Taine linking and Charnz bashing them at the front.

There's just an extra potency when your link man is fast and is clearly enhanced his link plays the last few months, and your centre running straight is a big hearty man with some distribution skills, instead of vise versa. Berry unfortunately can't straighten it up or defend aggressively at that intensity without getting injured. If we want our FB running 250m with 2 carries per set, Roger can do that receiving defensive punts then let TT take over the link role after 3 tackles.

Unless it goes downhill with more samples, but IMO CNK centre+TT FB combo is 2/2 this year. Btw having Metcalf & Ali there doesn't hurt lol
Great analysis. Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. RTS is probably a better FB in isolation. But we dont play players in isolation, its a team game.

I think you need to go watch the highlights again. TT was serving up TA and LB assists all night.
Yeah he had 2 assists utilising the sweep to the right (one when they were a man down). Played his part well.
All I’m saying is does he really move the needle from CNK?
If you had the chance to utilise SJ’s roster spot to grab a Fletcher Sharpe, Trai Fuller, Lehi Hopoate would you take it?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Yeah he had 2 assists utilising the sweep to the right (one when they were a man down). Played his part well.
If you had the chance to utilise SJ’s roster spot to grab a Fletcher Sharpe, Trai Fuller, Lehi Hopoate would you take it?
I wouldn't although I would for say for Montoya. Taine offers another point of attack and has a kicking game as we have seen in NSW Cup.

Next year we are likely to have a pairing of TMM/Metcalf which is not the strongest halves pairing in the NRL. With Taine he can give you more options as he can take the 5th tackle play like the Cowboys and to a lesser extend the Storm/Broncos do with their fullbacks. RTS and CNK (This years version) suit a team with a strong halves pairing like Penrith. My main issue with Taine is his experience but we can only sort that out by playing him.

I also agree on not jamming them both in, its either him or CNK at fullback not one on wing or centre. I love CNK and hope he re finds his 2023 form but there is a reason the raiders didnt call him back up. He looks like he really struggles to get back into it after injury, i think his effort play just hasnt been at the same level.

Last he year made that edge so dangerous, always popping up out the back to just both make space for the lead runners or be a link. I could be wrong but this year he seemed a step behind those plays and just got caught with the ball.

We already had a shot at Trai at didn't take it didn't we?

To clarify one final time.

For the first 3 rounds. I STRESS, 3 rounds.
I would prefer a safer, more defensive approach. There for, Pompey and Rocco get the job to begin with. With Ali right on their heels.

Funny thing is I agree with a lot of what people are saying, I’m just prioritising defence over offence.
Thing is, Pompey and Rocco aren’t hopeless on attack, Pompey especially who’s had some very good games against the “elite” centres of the league. Yes Ali is better offensively than both.

If a balanced approach of offence and defence is the way forward. Then Pompey is a lock……

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree on that.

I can’t see Andrew Webster picking a backline of.

1. Taine
2. RTS
3. Ali
4. CNK
5. DWZ
6. Metcalf
7. TTM

I suppose stranger things have happened in this world.

It ain’t nothing but passion anyway team. We all want the same thing at the end of the day.
Regarding picking Berry and Pompey for the first three rounds:
This year Berry played 12 games and Pompey 14 games. In their careers Rocco has 43 appearances. Pompey has a whopping 94 appearances.

That is enough games for us to have a definitive opinion on them. They are not going to get any better than they currently are.
Pompey has played 6 seasons and Berry has played 4 seasons.

If we give them 3 games to start next season it won't be conclusive. People will see what they want to see. Those that liked them before will still think they are great and those who don't won't like what they see.

Lastly I would argue the 2023 season was lost in the first two games we played. We couldn't ice either game. It hurt our season's momentum and we never got started.

After 3 games
2024 1 win 2 losses finished 13th
2023 2 wins 1 loss finished 4th - Made Playoffs
2022 1 win 2 losses finished 15th
2021 2 wins 1 loss finished 12th
2020 1 win 2 loss finished 10th
2019 1 win 2 losses finished 13th
2018 3 win 0 loss finished 8th - Made Playoffs
2017 1 win 2 loss finished 13th
2016 0 win 3 loss finished 10th
2015 2 wins 1 loss finished 13th

Whenever we went zero or one wins from our first three games we missed the playoffs in the last ten years

We need a fast start to build confidence in the team and build momentum.

Therefore not comfortable with going with the status quo at centre after a losing year in the first three rounds when there are alternative options available.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

This year Berry played 12 games and Pompey 14 games. In their careers Rocco has 43 appearances. Pompey has a whopping 94 appearances.

That is enough games for us to have a definitive opinion on them. They are not going to get any better than they currently are.

If we give them 3 games to start next season it won't be conclusive. People will see what they want to see. Those that liked them before will still think they are great and those who don't won't like what they see.

Lastly I would argue the 2023 season was lost in the first two games we played. We couldn't ice either game. It hurt our season's momentum and we never got started.

After 3 games

Whenever we went zero or one wins from our first three games we missed the playoffs in the last ten years

Therefore not comfortable with going with the status quo at centre after a losing year in the first three rounds when there are alternative options available.
I would rather go with CNK & Ali for 4 weeks and then see, knowing we have 2 dependable back ups available

I would rather go with CNK & Ali for 4 weeks and then see, knowing we have 2 dependable back ups available
I think we will use plenty of all 4 of them due to how frequently outside backs get injured.
I think everyone realises all of them will get game time.
Just down to the brass tacks of what is the pecking order if all available. Which will probably only happen at the start of the season.

My pecking order is
CNK
Ali
Pompey
Berry

Hopefully we don't have to go past those 4.

After 3 games

Ok, fair enough. I suppose our risk analysis is very different.

Agreed, Pompey has probably reached his peak.
Rocco, not so much.

Seriously though, who do you think handles Manu, Farnworth, Crighton and the like better? Right now?
Or more accurately Matt Timoko, as we have the benefit of actually knowing who we’re gonna play. Pompey or Ali?
I’d pick Pompey every time. Why? Cause I’ve seen him against those quality players and I’ve seen him genuinely outplay his opposite plenty of times. We got our 2023 season going because we went up to Townsville and beat the Cowboys. And a big reason that happened was cause Pompey crushed Val Holmes.
Especially when…………

You stress the importance of starting well next year. I agree.
But….. You’d replace our most successful centre combo in the last 2 seasons, 22 of games for 15 wins. For………..

A rookie with questionable defence……
And a fullback……. With less than 10 games at centre in his professional career.

And the basis for this combo…… One game. (They played well on the weekend, I’ll give it to them all day)
That doesn’t sound very important to me.

Once again, Ali is the future and his ceiling is certainly the highest. Just not yet……..
Again, we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree.

In his last couple of games when he returned Pompey’s late footwork and one handed off loaded was a much needed addition to his attack.
It was so good in one attack close to the line that CNK saw it too late and dropped the ball.
IMO TT is Drinkwater like and contributes so much.
Why is anyone worried about his size.
He’s not defending in the line and lots of bigger full backs are worst tacklers.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back