• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Centres for 2025

Who’s your 2 starting centres for 2025?

• Total voters
There's an argument that the whole season can be described through the decision to put RTS at centre - a pretty brave decision initially and one that looked like it had a lot of upside. Then the narratives of injuries and a blunt attack, with a lack of control inside and a lack of speed outside, came in.

You'd have to think the decision now would be to write Leiataua's name down first ... this means putting the players around him to get things humming (though, amazingly, he can also play link.. like a centre...)

NZWarriors.com
Just on RTS - the work rate is always going to be there, lots of running metres & tackle busts. I will never fault his effort, it’s superb. However the biggest issue is distribution, second is his edge getting burned in defence - doesn’t necessarily show up in tackle stats however the evidence each week has been there for anyone watching our games to see. Based on fox sports stats, RTS is dead last for try assists for centres that have played at least 14 games. On an average assists per game he’s still last in the comp. Line break assists it’s the same story. If Webster is objective in his assessment of 2024 then best case RTS is in the conversation for a wing spot next year.

Ali & CNK

Straight hard running centers who can break the line and set up for their outside Could be a real threat.

Berry/DWZ, RTS on the wings

Tuapiki full back.

That has me excited.

Webby needs to eat the humble pie and do the right thing.
I picked Berry & Pompey then had to change my mind. CNK and Ali all day.

For rounds 1-3, I’ve picked Pompey and Berry. Our most experienced centre combo.
With Ali right on their heels. Especially Pompey’s

I don’t see Ali as this attacking phenom that’s just gonna run amuck. But he definitely has the highest ceiling of all our centres. A few weeks in cup at the beginning of the year isn’t going to kill him.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
For rounds 1-3, I’ve picked Pompey and Berry. Our most experienced centre combo.

I don’t see Ali as this attacking phenom that’s just gonna run amuck. But he definitely has the highest ceiling of all our centres. A few weeks in cup at the beginning of the year isn’t going to kill him.
Bro his stats have already been posted up. He IS an attacking phenom. Its time for the Warriors to stop picking off feels and starting picking off a team that wins. Sorry for Berry but hes already been passed by Ali and sorry for Pompey that CNK can play centre too.

Last edited:
Bro his stats have already been posted up. He IS an attacking phenom. Its time for the Warriors to picking off feels and starting picking off a team that wins. Sorry for Berry but hes already been passed by Ali and sorry for Pompey that CNK can play centre too.
It always makes me laugh these attacking arguments. People talk as if they’re gauranteed to work. It’s not….

Defence should be the priority. The best teams defend the best. Period.
Especially with a halves pairing of TMM and Metcalfe.

It’s not like Rocco and Pompey are hopeless. Rocco can certainly work on his offensive game.
Pompey has had some great showing against the more “elite” centres.

Put it this way, I’d rather have Pompey vs Joey Manu rather than Ali this coming weekend.

Ali had a really good game this weekend. And he’s certainly the future though.

Quite frankly, Webby’s probably just gonna put RTS there again.

Feel like both centres is super competitive amongst the squad. The previous game has shown a strong pairing, and surely RTS doesn’t factor there anymore. DWZ has come off his wing more this year on defence than the last, so it could be not having Berry there has been a factor? Then there’s last year and the great combination CNK had with DWZ from fullback that was evident again with him at centre against the sharks. On the left Leiataua has an attacking prowess that none of our other centres possess, so it’s just a matter of time but Pompey is the better defender. Much for Webster to contemplate. Tuaupiki is definitely deserving of a spot, so we’ve got 3 fullbacks that many teams would love, to find a place for

Feel like both centres is super competitive amongst the squad. The previous game has shown a strong pairing, and surely RTS doesn’t factor there anymore. DWZ has come off his wing more this year on defence than the last, so it could be not having Berry there has been a factor? Then there’s last year and the great combination CNK had with DWZ from fullback that was evident again with him at centre against the sharks. On the left Leiataua has an attacking prowess that none of our other centres possess, so it’s just a matter of time but Pompey is the better defender. Much for Webster to contemplate. Tuaupiki is definitely deserving of a spot, so we’ve got 3 fullbacks that many teams would love, to find a place for
Ali is the undisputed champion in regards to offence between our centres.

1. Tuaupiki (11 games)
3. Leiataua (7 games)
4. CNK, 10 odd games at centre in his career
6. Metcalfe (26 games)
7. TMM (93 games)
I don’t see this happening. At all…….
Not to mention a pair of defensive liabilities on the wing.

Pompey (94 games)
Rocco (43 games)
Theoretically, they should both be coming about right. If not, Ali in…..

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Ali is the undisputed champion in regards to offence between our centres.

1. Tuaupiki (11 games)
3. Leiataua (7 games)
4. CNK, 10 odd games at centre in his career
6. Metcalfe (26 games)
7. TMM (93 games)
I don’t see this happening. At all…….
Not to mention a pair of defensive liabilities on the wing.

Pompey (94 games)
Rocco (43 games)
Theoretically, they should both be coming about right. If not, Ali in…..
That’s a long lay off for Berry now and perhaps he’s not one of the figures to walk right back into the team as some did this season? His pre season would surely determine this though, whether he’s first picked on the right? Pompey has been played at right centre too recently and is capable of either side. Feel like DWZ requires the best defensive option on his side. Feel like as others have said that Berry or Pompey could transition to second row, and they’re popular to have at teams, a second rower who can play centre like Capewell and Niukore

What’s webby done to him lol.

That a lot of us here are thinking we’re better off without him.
Still has a lot to offer I think, probably not at centre tho
Webby hasnt done anything really, he bulked to play a vastly different union position that hindered what made him great at FB and just isnt amazing in that position.

Apart from having more experience I don't really see what Berry has done to earn himself the spot. Ali has BY FAR the most upside in our centres, both Pomps and Berry have had tons of time and are very mid centres. If coach feels Ali needs more time in cup to develop, fine, but otherwise just throw him in. He's had 7 games, let's get him up to 25 ASAP. If Berry or Pompey move on, so? Pompey can kick goals reasonably well, which makes him more valuable than Berry.

Loved seeing how involved TT was against the Sharks.

The RTS signing was ridiculous at the time and even worse now. He needs to go to the wing or FB.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If coach feels Ali needs more time in cup to develop, fine, but otherwise just throw him in. He's had 7 games, let's get him up to 25 ASAP. If Berry or Pompey move on, so? Pompey can kick goals reasonably well, which makes him more valuable than Berry.
This thinking is where I am at as well with a number of our players.

While I want success next year, the primary focus is getting a number of our exciting young prospects up to speed and having a real crack in 2026/27.

That means getting the likes of TT, Ali, Metcalf, Ale, Sifakula, Zyon, Halasima, Roache etc more gametime and experience in first grade.

Fans expectations should be tempered with this in mind but I still think we can give the top 8 a good nudge next season.

Last edited:
Apart from having more experience I don't really see what Berry has done to earn himself the spot. Ali has BY FAR the most upside in our centres, both Pomps and Berry have had tons of time and are very mid centres. If coach feels Ali needs more time in cup to develop, fine, but otherwise just throw him in. He's had 7 games, let's get him up to 25 ASAP. If Berry or Pompey move on, so? Pompey can kick goals reasonably well, which makes him more valuable than Berry.

Loved seeing how involved TT was against the Sharks.

The RTS signing was ridiculous at the time and even worse now. He needs to go to the wing or FB.
Just my opinion I was not against the signing but certainly getting a centre spot in FG without having to earn his spot
Should have started in Cup & progressed once he had deserved his place

Statistically RTS has been one of the best in the comp. It may not seem it, but he averages high metres & doesnt actually miss that many tackles. This may seem laughable to some on this forum but the stats are there.

He was good as FB where he racked up non-centre metres, stats needs to be analyzed with context

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back