• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

General Centres for 2025

Who’s your 2 starting centres for 2025?

• Total voters
Ok, fair enough. I suppose our risk analysis is very different.

Agreed, Pompey has probably reached his peak.
Rocco, not so much.

Seriously though, who do you think handles Manu, Farnworth, Crighton and the like better? Right now?
Or more accurately Matt Timoko, as we have the benefit of actually knowing who we’re gonna play. Pompey or Ali?
I’d pick Pompey every time. Why? Cause I’ve seen him against those quality players and I’ve seen him genuinely outplay his opposite plenty of times. We got our 2023 season going because we went up to Townsville and beat the Cowboys. And a big reason that happened was cause Pompey crushed Val Holmes.
Especially when…………

You stress the importance of starting well next year. I agree.
But….. You’d replace our most successful centre combo in the last 2 seasons, 22 of games for 15 wins. For………..

A rookie with questionable defence……
And a fullback……. With less than 10 games at centre in his professional career.

And the basis for this combo…… One game. (They played well on the weekend, I’ll give it to them all day)
That doesn’t sound very important to me.

Once again, Ali is the future and his ceiling is certainly the highest. Just not yet……..
Again, we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree.
I agree with you on Pompey
He is just so underrated
The coach saw fit to replace him in the first few games with RTS
How did that go?
We need two centres
Pompey is pick number 1
Rts is a non pick
Number two can be Rocco or Ali

NZWarriors.com
Ok, fair enough. I suppose our risk analysis is very different.

Agreed, Pompey has probably reached his peak.
Rocco, not so much.

Seriously though, who do you think handles Manu, Farnworth, Crighton and the like better? Right now?
Or more accurately Matt Timoko, as we have the benefit of actually knowing who we’re gonna play. Pompey or Ali?
I’d pick Pompey every time. Why? Cause I’ve seen him against those quality players and I’ve seen him genuinely outplay his opposite plenty of times. We got our 2023 season going because we went up to Townsville and beat the Cowboys. And a big reason that happened was cause Pompey crushed Val Holmes.
Especially when…………

You stress the importance of starting well next year. I agree.
But….. You’d replace our most successful centre combo in the last 2 seasons, 22 of games for 15 wins. For………..

A rookie with questionable defence……
And a fullback……. With less than 10 games at centre in his professional career.

And the basis for this combo…… One game. (They played well on the weekend, I’ll give it to them all day)
That doesn’t sound very important to me.

Once again, Ali is the future and his ceiling is certainly the highest. Just not yet……..
Again, we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree.
Ali in his 6 match ups at centre this year has gone against
Round 11 Panthers Paul Alamoti
Round 20 Raiders Sebastian Kris
Round 21 Tigers the one and only Starford Toa
Round 22 Eels the red hot Blaze Talagi
Round 23 Dolphins The form centre of the comp Herbie Farnworth
Round 26 Sharks the young Tyro Kayal Iro

His Tackle efficiency this year is 88.6% according to his official warriors stats page. Personally I remember him missing more tackles than that but that is his official stat which is as high as Pompey's but less than Rocco's which is in the low 90s.

Ali in his 6 match ups at centre this year has gone against
Round 11 Panthers Paul Alamoti
Round 20 Raiders Sebastian Kris
Round 21 Tigers the one and only Starford Toa
Round 22 Eels the red hot Blaze Talagi
Round 23 Dolphins The form centre of the comp Herbie Farnworth
Round 26 Sharks the young Tyro Kayal Iro

His Tackle efficiency this year is 88.6% according to his official warriors stats page. Personally I remember him missing more tackles than that but that is his official stat which is as high as Pompey's but less than Rocco's which is in the low 90s.
So what. Lol. Btw his miss reads don’t count towards tackle efficiency.

So he got beat by Farnworth, Kris and Talagi
2 established players and the hottest young outside back in the league.
He was actually against Atkinson on the weekend, who’s barely a centre. And Starford and Alamoti are hardly anything to write about.
You think Pompey doesn’t get over them. We’ve seen him do it.

Yeah, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree.

I like Pompey but he isn't the defensive rock that he is being made out to be. He has been beaten plenty of times in games that has led to tries. You don't have to look through too many game highlights to find them.

Game one we have all of preseason to prepare for and formulate a game plan. That is exactly what Ricky Stuart is going to be doing.

I want us to go all in with several points of attack, play attacking, positive football and make a real statement.

For me that's Ali and either Berry or CNK in the centres. TT at fullback with Metcalf and TMM in the halves.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NRL Physio

• Rocco Berry was in a sling post match after suffering a right shoulder injury.

Interesting injury as many thought he had hurt his wrist (was clutching at it as he went off) & no real contact with the right shoulder.

Mechanism shows head being pushed towards R shoulder - likely compressed nerves as they run out of the neck & down into the arm.

Effectively a really nasty “burner” - while most of these settle relatively quickly we have seen how varied the recovery range can be (eg Tom Flegler)​

So what. Lol. Btw his miss reads don’t count towards tackle efficiency.

So he got beat by Farnworth, Kris and Talagi
2 established players and the hottest young outside back in the league.
He was actually against Atkinson on the weekend, who’s barely a centre. And Starford and Alamoti are hardly anything to write about.
You think Pompey doesn’t get over them. We’ve seen him do it.

Yeah, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree.
No don't pull out. You are a very respectful and polite debater so that is why you are getting so many replies. You have also staked a reasonable position with a sound thesis so people are seeing it as an intellectual challenge :)

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
I like Pompey but he isn't the defensive rock that he is being made out to be. He has been beaten plenty of times in games that has led to tries. You don't have to look through too many game highlights to find them.

Game one we have all of preseason to prepare for and formulate a game plan. That is exactly what Ricky Stuart is going to be doing.

I want us to go all in with several points of attack, play attacking, positive football and make a real statement.

For me that's Ali and either Berry or CNK in the centres. TT at fullback with Metcalf and TMM in the halves.
I agree re Pompey. Straight up n down he's a strong defender, but his lack of pace was targeted in several games, especially in set plays attacking his short side getting on his outside and putting his winger (normally Montoya) in 2 minds who inevitably would jam in early.

Im also advocating TT for fullback. CNK was great under the structured attack we had last season but teams worked that out this year. We have to adapt our attack to a more play whats in front style....TT with his footwork, speed off the mark, and evasiveness is going to be more suited and effective with that style imo.......Charnze still makes my team but at centre......im not overly fussed who partners him.......Ali, Berry, Pompey......let them battle it out, whoevers showing the form......good competition for spots.

Pompey is more then capable on defense & attack. Hes more rounded then our other centre options. He also kicks goals.

He just lacks pace. Especially off the mark. Laterally slow to get to his target. He is our best front on & close contact defender of the backs.
He is big and strong enough to break tackles, Barge over for tries and has nice footwork and balance to push defenders off of him.

I personally rate him our first choice. Followed by Rocco & Ali. CNK then Rts.

No don't pull out. You are a very respectful and polite debater so that is why you are getting so many replies. You have also staked a reasonable position with a sound thesis so people are seeing it as an intellectual challenge :)
Mate, It’s easy to debate when everyone can see I’m right 😁.

In all seriousness…

The real question is what does Andrew Webster do with RTS and CNK. He’s going to fit them both in somewhere, no matter what. Especially RTS, does he play right centre or left wing? (I want RTS to play right wing, cause that’s where he’s historically played. But that’s not going to happen either)

1. Taine (11 games)
2. DWZ
3. Ali (7 games)
4. CNK (fuck all games at centre)
5. RTS
6. Metcalf (26 games)
7. TMM (93 games)
You know this isn’t going to happen…..You know it.
That backline gets shredded. And it’s 50/50 if it does any shredding. That’s the part that makes me laugh, people talk as if this attack thing is guaranteed to work. It’s not.

Vs.

1. CNK (114 games)
2. DWZ
3. Adam Pompey (94 games)
4. Rocco Berry (43 games)
5. RTS
6. Metcalf
7. TMM

I’ll admit it lacks a bit of x-factor but work rate and defensively it’s the better option. Smother them, build pressure, get field position, do the damage. Especially early in the season

Let’s face it, a lot of people want CNK to play centre so Taine can play fullback. That’s a whole different debate in itself.

I can see Taine playing fullback and moving CNK OR Ali replacing Rocco for a bit more firepower. Definitely not both. Not yet anyway.

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Ali
4. Pompey
5. RTS
6. Metcalf
7. TMM

If Webster was going to pick Ali I’d like him in between Capewell and RTS on the left and swap Pompey to the right, hopefully he helps DWZ defensively. Or……

1. Taine
2. DWZ
3. Pompey
4. CNK
5. RTS
6. Metcalf
7. TMM

I guess we’ll see.

Last edited:
1 - Webster builds a team during preseason for the season and sticks to it. They spend the whole preseason training together and building combinations. I don’t believe he will try players for 3-4 weeks then change. Players will be picked and conditioned to his game plan for the season.

2 - last years other top 4 teams - Panthers, Broncos and Storm were all fast and dynamic. We were the exception. This years top 2 of the Storm, Panthers are fast and dynamic. It’s crazy to persist with an effort team and expect different results. We need more speed, x-factor, quick reactions, etc to compete. Focusing solely on ‘effort’ burns players out and leads to extra injuries. Smarter not harder.

3 - I’m of the belief attack and defence is all related to the players conditioning and both are interrelated which is why the ladder goes from best points differential to worst with attack and defence similarly good or back (within a range) for any team. I don’t believe in selecting just defensive players. Players need to be assess all round.

4 - my team is based on a team strategy. We have an inexperienced TMM/ Metcalf so need more from those around him. Therefore, we need an attacking, ball playing fullback to chime in and assist them on attack. We need solid, heavy hitting centres that can punch holes, draw defence and make room for those around them, we need fast wingers.

So my team based on my game plan would be

1 - Tuaupiki for ballplaying ability.
2 - DWZ
3 - CNK has the required heavy hitting punch
4 - Ali has the required heavy hitting punch
5 - RTS, slimmed down and remodelled for speed.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
1. Taine (11 games)
2. DWZ
3. Ali (7 games)
4. CNK (fuck all games at centre)
6. Metcalf (26 games)
You know this isn’t going to happen…..You know it.
That backline gets shredded. And it’s 50/50 if it does any shredding. That’s the part that makes me laugh, people talk as if this attack thing is guaranteed to work. It’s not.
Did that line up get shredded against the Sharks? That top four team, with the top 3 pts diff?

Reactions: kos
Nobody mentioned teams including the Storm targeted Pompey with their bombs and they were scoring 1 try per game from his catch/non catch for a few weeks in a row?

IMO the main thing is to get Taine at FB for at least half the games as our attack moves differently with that extra pace and link play, probably why Webby got him to play 6 at Cup for a bit too

They targeted our winger. Pompey was in position to take them. Planned or not. He usually is rock solid. Not sure why they would target a centre with kicks to the wings? Lol.

I remember Hughes kicked it to Pompey then Katoa just stole the ball from him for a try to start the comeback, and another game around the same month they kicked it to him and he missed it completely and they scored of it lol

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Did that line up get shredded against the Sharks? That top four team, with the top 3 pts diff?
Hahaha. Well actually that line up did get shredded.
Must I remind you how that game went? We were getting smashed……. Sharks pack up shop early. Then the sharks got that rough card. (I’ll happily take it, but still) and SJ turned back the clock. Yes off the back of some good play by Ali and CNK. Hardly anything foundational.

Look, it comes down to a difference in approach. I prefer we concentrate on defence. Other members want to concentrate on offence.

You build confidence in your offence off the back of your defence. Not the other way around.
If your defence is the priority, you can take more risks with your offences cause it doesn’t matter. There’ll be no consequences, or at least less of them.

The best teams defend the best.

I remember Hughes kicked it to Pompey then Katoa just stole the ball from him for a try to start the comeback, and another game around the same month they kicked it to him and he missed it completely and they scored of it lol
Bruh, So if Katoa stole if off him that means he initially caught it right? Lol. So you bring up 2 examples ? How many times have Montoya/Dallin/CNK /Roger fluffed up catches? I wasn't a Pompey fan. But the old saying you don't know what you've got til it's gone? He proved to me on his return that what he lacks in speed he makes up for it in other areas and was our best centre. He held his own against the elite centres and more often than not dominated them.
I'm now a pompey fan lol

Bruh, So if Katoa stole if off him that means he initially caught it right? Lol. So you bring up 2 examples ? How many times have Montoya/Dallin/CNK /Roger fluffed up catches? I wasn't a Pompey fan. But the old saying you don't know what you've got til it's gone? He proved to me on his return that what he lacks in speed he makes up for it in other areas and was our best centre. He held his own against the elite centres and more often than not dominated them.
I'm now a pompey fan lol
Your membership will be in the mail

2 - last years other top 4 teams - Panthers, Broncos and Storm were all fast and dynamic. We were the exception. This years top 2 of the Storm, Panthers are fast and dynamic.

Panthers aren't a particularly fast team.

Their three peat relied on all the same things the Warriors of 2023 did, monotonous but effective kick chase, front loaded defensive effort, field position, big yardage from back 5, play off a ball playing 13 and middle service at 7 rather than Right/left sided halfs.

They just do it with younger less banged up players and are way more defensively resilient.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back