• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
webster.png

Staff Andrew Webster

Coach Grade
  1. NRL Head Coach
Date of Birth
Jan 17, 1982
Birth Location
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
1, Like others and as I’ve stated before, I believe Webster needs more coaching support eg stronger Assistants.
2, From the outside it looks as though they don’t practice drop kicks and golden point as seems a bit clueless. There must be a better drop kicker than CHT and goal kicker too ?
3, The bench is terrible - Lussick is a complete wasted spot, esp when Taupiki is 18th man. He should be there on the bench as his goal kicking and drop kicking is better. He can cover 1 and 6, whilst CHt could cover 9 if need be. Sifakuka looks good but only got on for a few minutes.
4, My last gripe … do not select Kosi again. He is not good enough and will not improve. He is not up to 1st grade standard!

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Based on our current roster, what result would you expect next year from a competent coach?
Finals footy is always the benchmark. Considering were we could end up, I'd be happy with improvement and effort across the board. I can handle losing as long as the effort is there.

There is a chance that Webby is operating on such high level that it looks like madness from the outside, but that is looking less and less likely. He's still far and away our best option, but hes learning on the job and that requires 2 things. Being told when you fuck up and learning from your fuck ups fast. And while my criticism can be hyperbolic sometimes, I am still a supporter of his and as always, the club.

Conversely mate, what if we go bottom 4 again next year with the same lack of attack?

Based on our current roster, what result would you expect next year from a competent coach?

I see us in a similar position. Perhaps worse. You look at the players that gave us momentum last year - SJ, AFB, Harris and a step up the intensity bench, and it has all evaporated. I think if Webby can get this squad into the 8 he is the real deal, because I don't think it is currently one of the best 8 rosters in the comp by a long way.

Recruitment in key positions is needed.

Last edited:
Sifakula looks like a legit Alpha, put him with JFH wherever possible.

I'm expecting a couple players to move on during the off season. Hope we find something to come the other way.

Off topic but.
I hope his terrible read on defence isn’t a sign of his intelligence. Cause that non attempt was just pathetic. You can be macho man on attack but if you can’t do the basics right on defence then forget about alpha.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
We need to sort out our bench use. This shit started with Cappy. He thought that because the game was speeding up, it was better to use less interchanges and make the starters play longer minutes. So, he would sit Tui Lolohea on the bench unused for 80 minutes.
I don't know any other team that follows that logic, but it seems that Webster is.

I think Webster is a competent coach though... He just needs to flush this year and come up with a new plan based on what he has learned in his first two years. If he can make a few adjustments and get some luck with injuries, we should be back in the 8 next season.

Webster will have us humming next year ... I seriously don't know what's gone wrong this season, aside from not having a settled team due to revolving injuries in key positions ... for example the RTS in the centres thought didn't work out, but that was only clarified after some settling in the line up which showed it to be not quite there .. (he was pretty good tonight tho)... next season will have some of the younger fellas having a whole pre-season in camp, with the prospect of others coming through too (looking forward to see pasikala snatch a place) ... obvious issue in the halves, but I reckon the coaching staff alongside webster are exactly who you'd want to be there to fix that

We need to sort out our bench use. This shit started with Cappy. He thought that because the game was speeding up, it was better to use less interchanges and make the starters play longer minutes. So, he would sit Tui Lolohea on the bench unused for 80 minutes.
I don't know any other team that follows that logic, but it seems that Webster is.
This happens a lot more than you think mate.

Ciraldo did it last week, not putting on Lipoi Hopoi.
Cleary did it last week, not putting on Trent Toelau at all.
Bellamy played Moeroa for 9 minutes and Vaalepu for 12.

It's all game dependant, people thinking it's not a normal thing done by various coaches throughout the NRL are incorrect. People thinking these low minutes for our bench guys is abnormal are also incorrect. The more experienced guys throughout the whole NRL all play the majority of the minutes.

Does Webster have a coaching mentor?
Clubs such as the Bulldogs have Gould, we have Cam George. Perhaps that is the role of Cappy or maybe Agar and Jones?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
This happens a lot more than you think mate.

Ciraldo did it last week, not putting on Lipoi Hopoi.
Cleary did it last week, not putting on Trent Toelau at all.
Bellamy played Moeroa for 9 minutes and Vaalepu for 12.

It's all game dependant, people thinking it's not a normal thing done by various coaches throughout the NRL are incorrect. People thinking these low minutes for our bench guys is abnormal are also incorrect. The more experienced guys throughout the whole NRL all play the majority of the minutes.
Yeah but in those teams the more experienced guys are getting the job done. How many times this year have we seen our experienced players out on their feet with the opposition just rolling through them and Webster keeps them out there.

Yeah but in those teams the more experienced guys are getting the job done. How many times this year have we seen our experienced players out on their feet with the opposition just rolling through them and Webster keeps them out there.
I am not disputing that the bench rotation could be better, I'm disputing that playing for 0 or low minutes is something unique to Webster.

I'm 100% sure that Webster is not the issue ... having thought about it for 2 seconds what really went wrong this year was squad age (too old on one hand and not experienced enough to come through and cover consistently), and niggling injuries, together this upset everything, delayed proper assessment of tactics, and screwed our patterns, especially in attack

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'm 100% sure that Webster is not the issue ... having thought about it for 2 seconds what really went wrong this year was squad age (too old on one hand and not experienced enough to come through and cover consistently), and niggling injuries, together this upset everything, delayed proper assessment of tactics, and screwed our patterns, especially in attack
Yea, last year definitely pushed people's expectations up a lot. If you look at where we were in 2022, to be able to do what we did last year was unreal.

We have been there or there abouts in most games this season, but we have been cruelled by injuries (in-game in particular), lack of form at key times, pushing some players too far (in terms of managing injuries) and a delayed development system because of Covid. There's also the reffing debacle but they have been shit for every club so I try not to factor that in too much.

I can definitely see light at the end of the tunnel though and I know Webby is the man to lead us to the promised land. I can't remember the last time we had 3+ juniors that came through and actually had an immediate impact in first grade (albeit not a sustained one).

Good times are coming - probably from 2026 onwards 😅

We’ve had a very unlucky year with results and injuries.
7 games by 6 or less points means were close but not quite there yet. Feels like the 2018 Penrith team that had to keep chasing comebacks before they clicked the next year
Wendy’s still a huge improvement prior to 2023 which was probably an overachievement
Been a year where I’ve realised how important a good goal kicker is. No slight on any of them that have been used, especially in CHT’s case as I know he’ll come back hungry and determined after feeling like he’s let the team down. Just a reminder though the need of a good one

Been a year where I’ve realised how important a good goal kicker is. No slight on any of them that have been used, especially in CHT’s case as I know he’ll come back hungry and determined after feeling like he’s let the team down. Just a reminder though the need of a good one
holmes is being shopped, are you thinking what im thinking

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Peak Warriors lets grab the guy turning 30 next year....
Would be the sort of professional that the club seems to see as beneficial for the young guys with people like Capewell brought in? Wouldn’t want to give him more than 2 years though and that probably wouldn’t be enough for him for such a big shift?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back