New Zealand Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
  2. Tonga
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Captain
Status
Active

NRL 2024: Addin Fonua-Blake stood down by Warriors for ‘breach of club standards’ | Daily Telegraph​

The Warriors remain committed to Addin Fonua-Blake and won’t entertain a release despite its decision to stand the marquee prop down for failing club standards.
The 2023 Dally M prop of the year is a shock withdrawal for the Warriors clash with the Dolphins on Sunday in New Zealand.

The stringent disciplinary action was taken by Warriors coach Andrew Webster after the 28-year-old front-rower failed to sing the team song and removed himself from the dressing room after the club’s outstanding win over Penrith at Magic Round last weekend.

Addin Fonua-Blake has been stood down from Sunday’s Indigenous Round match against the Dolphins on Sunday following a breach of club standards,’’ a club statement on Thursday said.

Webster was quoted in the statement, stating: “This doesn’t meet our standards and Addin accepts full responsibility for his behaviour.’’

Warriors CEO Cameron George confirmed that at no stage has Fonua-Blake asked for a release.

Addin Fonua-Blake has been stood down over a breach of club standards. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

Addin Fonua-Blake has been stood down over a breach of club standards. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images
Instead, the Warriors boss said the damaging forward’s response to being stood down was in complete contrast.

“He’s owned it, apologised and has been terrific in his actions ever since Webby (Webster) made the decision,’’ George said.

“Those actions show us he’s committed and we’re also committed to Addin.

“We want nothing but to see him work hard for the club, his teammates and the coaching staff to be the best teammate he can be for the remainder of the year.’’

Fonua-Blake is bound for Cronulla next season after requesting an early release from his deal at the Warriors last November.

Tom Ale is expected to replace Fonua-Blake in the Warriors’ starting line-up on Sunday.

Jeez.
The guy has had one (1) bad game this year.
All his other games have been great.
As fans
-do we know if he is playing injured?
-what other life issues are playing out?

I myself had to knock over three months by myself ( at a couple of share rental places)while my wife and daughter had moved Akl-Gc. i was pretty flat and down. It didnt affect my work demeanour though.
Addin is different -we all are.

Remember all the great games he has played for us rather than one poor game and a serious error of judgement.

Jeez.
The guy has had one (1) bad game this year.
All his other games have been great.
As fans
-do we know if he is playing injured?
-what other life issues are playing out?

I myself had to knock over three months by myself ( at a couple of share rental places)while my wife and daughter had moved Akl-Gc. i was pretty flat and down. It didnt affect my work demeanour though.
Addin is different -we all are.

Remember all the great games he has played for us rather than one poor game and a serious error of judgement.

Yes, but lets be frank here mate.

Lets say you are the rockstar of your work (you may well be, all the better if you are for my point).

Would you walk out on the team at end of shift on a special day at work because of your own stuff? would you do that after rocking the work boat for months about how you need to leave work?

And would you do so knowing it was gonna play out publicly in the media?

Irrespective of all your justifications in your post I would wager you would not seek to undermine the company in your darkest moments for the sake of having a moment personally.....repeatedly....over months and months of headline grabbing instability?

If this guy is your parallel, you have already signed with another company, would you then continue to have hissy fits where you are because you had an off shift knowing it could destabilize your team before you inevitably piss off?

Sorry none of it aimed at you, just putting AFB in a normal frame work all of us live by.

Lets say you are the rockstar of your work (you may well be, all the better if you are for my point).

Would you walk out on the team at end of shift on a special day at work because of your own stuff? would you do that after rocking the work boat for months about how you need to leave work?

Irrespective of all your justifications in your post I would wager you would not seek to undermine the company in your darkest moments for the sake of having a moment personally.....repeatedly....over months and months of headline grabbing instability?

If this guy is your parallel, you have already signed with another company, would you then continue to have hissy fits where you are because you had an off shift knowing it could destabilize your team before you inevitably piss off?

Sorry none of it aimed at you, just putting AFB in a normal frame work all of us live by.
nailed it

Different situation.
I was hanging around as at a certain date I got a 12k bonus.
I never let my personal life affect my work.
But as I said AFB is a different fish.
Kiwis love taking down a tall poppy dont we?

That statement from the manager makes way more sense than him trying to agitate for a release. I buy it and am staying on team AFB until further developments, he’s been one of our best and most committed players this year, I think talk of him being released is rather premature.

I think it was poor form to walk out of the changing room, and I am judging him harshly for it, but AFB is 100% the player that would take it hard on himself if he thought he didn’t play to his standards.

Last edited:
Geez you lot are quick to get the pitchforks!
Dude had a bad game by his standards and went off for a bit of a sulk, probably just a spur of the moment reaction and didn’t think it through. Hopefully that’s all there is to it
That would be a fine argument if you looked at in isolation and ignored all of the other stuff that came before and the context of this being one of the clubs finest happiest days. Sure, if we had rolled the West Tigers no worries, sure if he had not had a missus that spews in social media in a negative light about the club.

Also, despite his happy arrangement with another NRL club, our fans have been 100% behind him.

So from the Warriors pov he has zero reasons to do anything that harms them. He is entitled to be upset, he has Zero entitlement to act out in ways that harm the clubs harmony and any decent person would know that in his shoes.

The Warriors have been brilliant to this guy and his family.
Aside from him being their highest paid player, the Warriors have also revitalized his career and under the Warriors he has become a top prop in the top three.

He actually should be thankful.

Haha, funny it is one of those rainy day movies I have never watched because I am a card holding cult fan of the movie Warriors and did not want to see any imitations.
Mate, I have the Warriors movie on VHS, DVD & Bluray! Lol. I am also a card holding cult fan of the movie. It's no imitation of the Warriors. Both movies were released in 1979. Watch it bro, Especially if you're a fan of The Warriors. I don't think its on any ot the streaming platforms either. You can rent it on YouTube for $4 i think.

Geez you lot are quick to get the pitchforks!
Dude had a bad game by his standards and went off for a bit of a sulk, probably just a spur of the moment reaction and didn’t think it through. Hopefully that’s all there is to it
It sums up his character though at the end of the day. Plenty of players have had shit days but you don’t hear about them doing this