General 2024: Will we make the top eight?

Will we make the top 8?

• Yes, we will go on a run starting from the Tigers game

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Yes, we wiill scrape in mathematically & with a miracle

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • No, we will just miss out and come 9th or 10th

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • No, we will fall apart and lose most of our remaining games

Votes: 19 27.1%

• Total voters
This post will appeal to those who like academia and lecture theatres and not to anybody else I imagine.

I want to come at my earlier post from a different angle. I said earlier that the Warriors won't make the 8 as our little hearts have been broken too many times this season.

In my undergrad commerce degree we studied theories on employee motivation.
One theory goes like this

Motivation = Expectancy multiplied by Valence

Valence is the value of the reward. In the Warriors case 2 competition points on the NRL ladder for each victory. It is also wraps into it the perception of that reward to the individual or team. So it is a combination of the actual value of 2 points on the ladder combined with how much this Warriors teams would value 2 points at this stage of the season.

Expectancy is the more interesting one. It is the belief that your efforts if you put effort in will lead to a realisation of that reward.
If the Warriors labours on the training field are resulting in victories then the warriors will internalise that effort equals results.
If the Warriors or any NRL team or any employee believes they cant control their outcomes and that raw luck will determine which employee gets promoted or who wins an NRL game in the Warriors case then Expectancy will be low.
Expectancy will be high when you see a strong link historically, with more weight given to frequent events, between high effort leading consistently positive results.
So according to the lecture theatre the Warriors through random reffing decisions and inexplicable come from behind victories to opponents. must have at this stage low expectancy.
And hence their motivation will be low.
The warriors have had their hearts broken in other non university words.

Does University from this mathematical equation offer any assistance to the Warriors for how to get out of this rut?
It does actually.
Remember the formula - Motivation = Expectancy times Valence
There is nothing the Warriors can reaslistically do about their Expectancy. They are human beings and their belief in the refs must be shattered. No amount of talk from Webster can change that relaistically.
But they can do something about Valence. If the Warriors can really calibrate on how much 2 points would mean to them against the Raiders they can impact the Valence and hence their motivation.
Easy said in theory, harder to put into practice with a by now jaded group. And justifiably jaded. I think we fans are jaded now too.

This post will appeal to those who like academia and lecture theatres and not to anybody else I imagine.

I want to come at my earlier post from a different angle. I said earlier that the Warriors won't make the 8 as our little hearts have been broken too many times this season.

Valence is the value of the reward. In the Warriors case 2 competition points on the NRL ladder for each victory. It is also wraps into it the perception of that reward to the individual or team. So it is a combination of the actual value of 2 points on the ladder combined with how much this Warriors teams would value 2 points at this stage of the season.

Expectancy is the more interesting one. It is the belief that your efforts if you put effort in will lead to a realisation of that reward.
If the Warriors labours on the training field are resulting in victories then the warriors will internalise that effort equals results.
If the Warriors or any NRL team or any employee believes they cant control their outcomes and that raw luck will determine which employee gets promoted or who wins an NRL game in the Warriors case then Expectancy will be low.
Expectancy will be high when you see a strong link historically, with more weight given to frequent events, between high effort leading consistently positive results.
So according to the lecture theatre the Warriors through random reffing decisions and inexplicable come from behind victories to opponents. must have at this stage low expectancy.

Does University from this mathematical equation offer any assistance to the Warriors for how to get out of this rut?
It does actually.
There is nothing the Warriors can reaslistically do about their Expectancy. They are human beings and their belief in the refs must be shattered. No amount of talk from Webster can change that relaistically.
But they can do something about Valence. If the Warriors can really calibrate on how much 2 points would mean to them against the Raiders they can impact the Valence and hence their motivation.
Easy said in theory, harder to put into practice with a by now jaded group. And justifiably jaded. I think we fans are jaded now too.
On a league field Motivation = Expectancy multiplied by Violence, (sustained violence in hits, in tackles), they don't teach that in uni papers Wrighty.

It does actually.
So the Warriors have a history of being mentally weak. Or lacking motivation across many seasons.

Are we saying the expectancy could be being repeatedly destroyed by the reffing bias driving our underperformance? This could mean we will never win the comp until we get fair treatment?

Hang on, nothing to see here! I just reread it and the theory is for employees, while our players are independent contractors so we’re all good! 😅

Phew! Back to believing the NRLs ‘most even competition in the world’ marketing hype…

First off I discount rewards as a reason for under performance. It may contribute but only in minor ways. My view is that local players are in a smaller pool and if they have size and talent they show up earlier. If we define that as talent then talent can only get you so far. Hard work, discipline are what's needed to kick on. It looks like to me that, particularly in the past, being contracted to the Warriors was the achievement. In truth it is only the start and they often did not kick on as hoped. Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United regarded work ethic is just as important as talent and a skill in itself. The squad are hard workers and are giving it all in the face of adversity. That will pay dividends in the future. You learn more in adversity than winning. Some games are just shit happens moments

The Dolphins win over South is a bad result for us

Haven't looked at the draw beyond this round, Knights beating Sea Eagles probably a better result for us Knights get to 22 points but if Sea Eagles win they get to 23 points and with a superior PD to us meaning we'll need 3 extra wins than them to get in, granted we play them away late in the year

We're on 19 with the bye now, lol

The Dolphins win over South is a bad result for us

Haven't looked at the draw beyond this round, Knights beating Sea Eagles probably a better result for us Knights get to 22 points but if Sea Eagles win they get to 23 points and with a superior PD to us meaning we'll need 3 extra wins than them to get in, granted we play them away late in the year

We're on 19 with the bye now, lol
I started watching last night but when they awarded that penalty try which I thought was an obvious Shepard I turned it off.
Idk maybe I just don’t know the rules anymore because I just can’t get my head around some of the officiating- it’s ruining the games for me.

Last edited:
I started watching last night but when they awarded that penalty try which I thought was an obvious Shepard I turned it off.
Idk maybe I just don’t know the rules anymore because I just can’t get my head around some of the officiating- it’s ruining the games for me and I knew the dolphins would win once that happened.

Oh which one was it? I thought that was a Souths penalty try and their player ran behind 2 players leading up to it lol, literally no commentators or refs mentioned it, insane

Is it? If Souths had won they would have leap-frogged past us on the ladder.

Doesn’t matter we have 2 byes and Souths already had 3 byes only 6 wins, if they won they “leapfrog” thanks to an extra bye, Dolphins if they lost they would be on 22 with 3 byes, if we beat them, win same number of games in the remaining 6 games and have our bye, we literally leapfrog them, but now we have to beat them AND win 1 more game than them to catch them

Can't see us making it now... been too many low blows this season. Long term Injuries, sometimes players not 100% fit on the field, then to top it off, officiating has a lot to be desired where some calls just undoes all the hard work.

Mentally, its very hard for the club to fight through this adversity. Mathematically it can be done, top 8 wise.
But the vultures are circling right now, eyeing up 2pts each to finish their season. But I think the fight for a top 8 spot, is now proving to be out of our control.

It's the owners of the clubs that always get dicked who I feel for.

13 wins probably guarantees it (12 wins and 1 draw might do it.) - we have 7, so need 6 out of 7 to get there. Our draw includes only two teams that we would normally be a chance of losing to, manly and the sharks... both away.

It sounds a tall task, but I think we'll do it. I'm not even going to go into the reasoning, but t's a simple equation, keep winning (the bunnies just had a 5 win streak ffs, where's ours?)

The next three are must wins, drop any of those and then the season is done. After that we probably need to win three from four preferably including a decent size win against Manly to bring PD back into play.

If they can play at the same level of intensity they showed last week it’s a chance, but in a comp as tight as it is this season going 6 from 7 is a very tough ask.

Back