Gameday 2024 Trial 2 - Warriors vs Dolphins

I am not concerned by the boring pairing. We have to open games off a stable platform. Conceding points early is a real problem for the Warriors.

Last year we were more of a second half team, coming home stronger off the better fitness of our players and the deliberate insertion of that point of difference you are talking about after the settling period, Jazz and Walker were particularly good at that, as was Niukore, who will get game time anyway.

Getting into the wrestle is something you hear coaches and experts alike claim the Warriors shirk from. And I agree with that.

Our top four finish last year was based off where we rated in the NRL for defence, not attack.

Like I say, with the career best form Johnson is in, the balance of this pack is fine with two tackling back rowers since we have the best ball playing 13 in the comp and probably the best hooker as well....also AFB on attack is right up there with the best attacking props.

Barnett is aggressive as well, so I really do not see a problem with the balance of the side if you start Ford and Capwell, then bring on Walker, Jazz, and Marata.

Having the bots there also gives Webster more confidence in choosing Metcalf if he decides to go that way, which as I say....when you put him next to Roger the team has a hell of a lot of strike power.

We do not have one super impact Bench forward, so saving Walker, Jazz and Marata to come in as impact around the same time really meets that requirement.

Having said all of that, if Ford does not kick on this year, I would like to see Laban given a run at it. I think he is in for a big year when he gets his chance.
Well said! I often find our opinions to be like minded. I know this the isn’t round 1 team but ever since Capewell was bought - this is the team I believed Webby would go for. I even think he will take Lussick on the bench into the season as we can afford to… and maybe can’t afford not to with head knocks etc. Lussick can play other forward positions and probably stand off too (I know Walker will play there first though - off the bench). I think Chanel will also get a run on the bench at times as a utility (Hooker, 13, 6, back cover). Apparently he has been training in those positions pre-season.

With 2 x 80 minute backrowers - Niukore can play more of an impact middle role and cover second row. With Bunty and Ale playing so well in pre-season week 1 - the pressure is massively on Jazz, otherwise he will be leading the cup team.

Love our leadership group - (Who I think they are): Tohu / SJ / AFB / RTS / Capewell / Walker / Barnett - That will add patience, belief, trust to our squad / team!

Total trust in Webby! Something big is brewing and this year is going to be bigger and better than the last…. Yes that is possible! Let’s eat!

Well said! I often find our opinions to be like minded. I know this the isn’t round 1 team but ever since Capewell was bought - this is the team I believed Webby would go for. I even think he will take Lussick on the bench into the season as we can afford to… and maybe can’t afford not to with head knocks etc. Lussick can play other forward positions and probably stand off too (I know Walker will play there first though - off the bench). I think Chanel will also get a run on the bench at times as a utility (Hooker, 13, 6, back cover). Apparently he has been training in those positions pre-season.

With 2 x 80 minute backrowers - Niukore can play more of an impact middle role and cover second row. With Bunty and Ale playing so well in pre-season week 1 - the pressure is massively on Jazz, otherwise he will be leading the cup team.

Love our leadership group - (Who I think they are): Tohu / SJ / AFB / RTS / Capewell / Walker / Barnett - That will add patience, belief, trust to our squad / team!

Total trust in Webby! Something big is brewing and this year is going to be bigger and better than the last…. Yes that is possible! Let’s eat!

As far as the leadership group goes, Montoya seems to be taking up the mantle as well, given he was named Captain of trial one and was the Warriors player selected alongside our Captain to attend the Halbergs.
I see Montoya is starting to pop up in media a bit as he has as contagious enthusiasm about the Warriors and he is a bit of a laugh too.

Montoya did not have his best season last year, but it looks like Webster is looking past that and trying to give him an esteem boost, which as we saw in the trial and have seen in his good games....a happy Montoya is a hard guy to stop.

Of the 12 games Metcalf played last year we won 10 of them... A few of them with fairly decent points differential which I don't think we would have gotten without him in the team. He's also only played 19 first grade games...
But according to some he should be the perfect running half with perfect distribution skills.... He may have had a lot more games through NSW cup etc. but first grade is a completely different beast to the lower grades. And for a half especially takes time to develop the timing, distribution etc.

Idk how some can call themselves fans of the game and expect kids to come in at the highest level and be perfect from the get go, only a few players have managed to smash it instantly and they're usually generational talents.

Personally I thought Montoya was struggling with some form of injury from about mid season. To me it is testament to his courage and professionalism that his standard of performance did not drop too much. At NRl level all the players have talent but it takes character to excel. Marcello has character. That is why he is a leader.

Of the 12 games Metcalf played last year we won 10 of them... A few of them with fairly decent points differential which I don't think we would have gotten without him in the team. He's also only played 19 first grade games...
But according to some he should be the perfect running half with perfect distribution skills.... He may have had a lot more games through NSW cup etc. but first grade is a completely different beast to the lower grades. And for a half especially takes time to develop the timing, distribution etc.

Idk how some can call themselves fans of the game and expect kids to come in at the highest level and be perfect from the get go, only a few players have managed to smash it instantly and they're usually generational talents.
i disagree with you on winning or even points differential without him in the team. SJ was playing at an dally M level. AFB, Tohu, DWZ and CNK amongst others were having monster seasons

also hes not a kid hes a 24 years old.

Have you seen the hype around Metcalf within this fanbase? people within warriors fanbase are talking about him like he is a generational player and future immortal!!!!!

i disagree with you on winning or even points differential without him in the team. SJ was playing at an dally M level. AFB, Tohu, DWZ and CNK amongst others were having monster seasons

Have you seen the hype around Metcalf within this fanbase? people within warriors fanbase are talking about him like he is a generational player and future immortal!!!!!
I am one who is a fan of Metcalf but mainly because of the potential.
More hopeful than convinced.
Speed of the mark is a great start.
Tmm and cht have been good not convinced they have the same ceiling as Metcalf.
Just my opinion

Just my opinion
Defense is the issue with Metcalf. Otherwise his acceleration backing up the likes of Capewell, RTS etc turning half gaps into linebreaks could raise the team to another level. Also reasonable kicker, field and goal. A confidence player.

Just my opinion
i appreciate your opinion and telling me you are hopeful about his potential.

for the record I don't think TMM, CHT or Metcalf are our answer right now for 6. combine all 3 into one player you would be a lot closer to the complete player but sadly none of them can really kick

Idk how some can call themselves fans of the game and expect kids to come in at the highest level and be perfect from the get go,
Realistically, He has plenty of potential. And so far we've based his game off of his speed. And at 24 years of age. The word potential wears a bit thin.
As a half, We expect more than just speed. If he was a winger, We'd have no problems.

So at his age, It's no longer about potential, It's confidence, ownership & belief. And if webby can install that in him, And he believes he can play his role. Then we have a handy player on our hands. He doesn't need to be Nathan Cleary/Shaun Johnson/Andrew Johns.

I just want to see him be more of team player. At the moment, He is kicking for himself or trying to score by running around or through players. Sometimes on the last play.
We do need his speed. Be awesome if he developes a better passing & kicking game. Fingers 🤞

I believe in him. We just need him to deliver sooner than later.

Constructive criticism. Not hate.

Fair. Maybe kid was the wrong term to use was more meaning he's still fairly inexperienced at NRL level.

I think most of the hype around him is based off his speed being the x-factor we need, which I must admit got me excited a bit before last season.

Either way it sounds like he's bulked up around his legs a lot so hopefully he doesn't have any more hammy issues and we're able to see what he's capable of this year.

This game against the Dolphins will hopefully be a good indicator of where he's at.

Hopeful that LM will do real well for us if chosen, but I cant help thinking that he'd jump on a plane tomorrow should someone stump up with a first team halfback 'level' offer.
TMM I believe desperately wants to be here, as does CHT. Not qualifications for selection, but with all 3 with significant 'work-on's' is a great leveller. LM's game vision (and hence decision making) for me leaves much to be desired at this point in time. If anything he'd be a 6 and not a 7.

Only time will tell for all 3 though. Internal competition might just work wonders. My opinion only.

Personally I thought Montoya was struggling with some form of injury from about mid season. To me it is testament to his courage and professionalism that his standard of performance did not drop too much. At NRl level all the players have talent but it takes character to excel. Marcello has character. That is why he is a leader.
He's surprised me every season he's been here! This year I thought no doubt Leiataua grabs his spot to start the season off but webby says he's captain and that's settled!

He played bloody well last weekend and is always in great shape! A true professional.

This game against the Dolphins will hopefully be a good indicator of where he's at.

Yeah that's what I'm looking forward to...having him line up with Roger should make their defensive opposition a bit weary - I'd love to see Metcalf develop a few plans - throw it to Roger early for the first 10-15 minutes and then throw a dummy and go, or cut out to Montoya or inside to Ford, rinse and repeat.
Metcalf delivered a really nice ball to Laban for his try, and looked like there was another one coming before the ball being intercepted.

Similar to SJ having loads of options on the other side, it means the defence really dont know where the ball is going, as opposed to last year where it was clear Metcalf was running so could mow him down pretty easy.

I know everyone thinks Metcalf is the flash, I think he just has a deceptive running style due to his size. Yes, he is quick but the facts are in 2023 he wasn’t in the top 50 fastest NRL players and wasn’t even in the warriors top 3. Pompey ran faster. I know acceleration is different but he doesn’t make breaks through that like Walsh etc

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzM8_covtME/?igsh=MTZudnNsZjZ0Z2Y4MA==

I know everyone thinks Metcalf is the flash, I think he just has a deceptive running style due to his size. Yes, he is quick but the facts are in 2023 he wasn’t in the top 50 fastest NRL players and wasn’t even in the warriors top 3. Pompey ran faster. I know acceleration is different but he doesn’t make breaks through that like Walsh etc

Would be interested to see the data on players speed over the first 20 meters.
My guess would be a huge difference

Pompey?! I doubt he could run faster than our forwards!

I don't mean this to be argumentative, but I would really like to know the answer
Please list 3 -4 halves who started out with humble outputs and capabilities in their first 2 to 3 years but ended up being a gun player?

All the good halves I have ever seen were good from game one they played. Including Dylan Brown for example.

I've mentioned it before but tuaupiki reminds more of Walsh with his acceleration and explosiveness. Think he's played 6 before?

I don't mean this to be argumentative, but I would really like to know the answer
Please list 3 -4 halves who started out with humble outputs and capabilities in their first 2 to 3 years but ended up being a gun player?

All the good halves I have ever seen were good from game one they played. Including Dylan Brown for example.
Good point. There's sure to be others but the only one I can think of now is DCE.
The best ones come through the Aussie systems because of the intensity and quality of training.
Always going to be exceptions

Back