General 2024/2025 Halves Discussion

Who should pair SJ in the halves in 2024?

• Total voters
Metcalf for me.
SJ controls the game.
He in effect is both halves.
Metcalf has to start somewhere because he is a match winner.
Remember when we had Locke and Glen Fisiahi who both had to be in there somewhere.
He only fits this team at 6 because he’s not usurping CNK.
And surely his decision making will get better and his kicking has good distance.
His backing up is constant.

Couple of things to add- I don’t think we can fairly judge metcalfs distribution skills because it seemed quite clear last year he was under instruction to run it at every opportunity.
Cht definitely has the best kicking game but how important is that when Sj is gonna be doing 90% of the kicking anyway? In fact I think cht kicking game may be better utilized from dummy half- I know we’re not allowed to compare him to cam Smith but… that is how smith used to change the momentum of games- jumping out of dummy half and using that big left foot to turn the tide.
I’m really not sure what his best position but I do like the idea of him giving Egan a spell- don’t think he should be playing 80.
I went metcalf because I think the spark he provides might be the best foil for Sj but I’m really not fused- they all have a decent case in the great 5/8 shoot out of 24- may the best man win.

Thatcsaid
Metcalf for me.
SJ controls the game.
He in effect is both halves.
Metcalf has to start somewhere because he is a match winner.
Remember when we had Locke and Glen Fisiahi who both had to be in there somewhere.
He only fits this team at 6 because he’s not usurping CNK.
And surely his decision making will get better and his kicking has good distance.
His backing up is constant.
That said.
I like them all partnering SJ.
Good deputies, stoked to be picked any given week and playing alongside SJ.
Good times.

Here is a patented Wrighty analysis for you based on numbers out of my wazoo

CHT
Running Game Zero
Passing Game 7
Kicking Game 8
Defence 8
Total 23/40
Bonus point for being a goal kicker
24/40

Metcalf
Running Game 10
Passing Game 4
Kicking Game 2
Defence 4
Total 20/40

TMM
Running Game 2
Passing Game 8
Kicking Game 2
Defence 9
TMM 21/40

My analysis has CHT ranked first
How I see it

CHT

Running Game 2
Passing Game 6
Kicking Game 8
Short 5
Long 3
Defence 7
Total 22/40

Bonus point for being a goal kicker
23/40

Metcalf

Running Game 9
Passing Game 4
Kicking Game 6
Short 2
Long 4
Defence 4

Total 23/40

TMM

Running Game 7
Passing Game 7
Kicking Game 3
Short 3
Long 0
Defence 8

TMM 25/40

I may have missed it, however most relevant stat for next year is how often we win with these lads at 6 with Sj.

Perhaps a different stat the year after.

It's a lot closer than last time we had a poll on Metcalf vs TMM.

I think it was about 20% to 80% last time
Has there been a season since Foz/ SJ where we’ve had a locked in halves pairing at season start?

Seems every year we have a forum poll with two (or more) good but not automatic options.

And CHT seems to be one of the options since forever ago without locking it in!

Johnson won't let the other fulla kick so that's not really important, I'd go Metcalf too, although he bombed tries, he also creates them by being around the ball and being quick - if he has a good start to the year expect he'll by signing with a sydney team for next year so we might as well get some use out of him before his legs pack up again. Not the best defender, but you don't pick halves for their tackling.

We are still awful at supporting line breaks/half breaks, its like everyone just retreats to the next play 15m behind the ball, Metcalf actually gets in there and turns chances into points (when he's not overrunning it or being a hungus, at least he's there)

Martin is the best all-round player of the three. Metcalf is the best ball runner of the three. Chanel is the best playmaker of the three.

Pick your flavour really, but with RTS back in, presumably on the left, I'd prefer CHT or Martin, I just can't see Metcalf creating much for that edge.

Even if SJ was the most in-form player in the world, it isn't sustainable to have that much of the workload on him for 24 weeks, let alone 4 weeks against the best defences in September.

I have voted CHT on the poll since he seems the only option for 7 next season, and I don't think there would be much of a drop-off between him and Martin, but if I was looking at it as 2024 in a bottle, I would go for Martin.. Safe bet, GF experience, and was Webby's first signing so clearly he has high hopes/more planned for him.

CHT is the only one that we haven't seen the Webby effect on. Say what you want, but that counts.

I honestly couldn't pick one. I would guess that pairing dynamics are going to be the key here (who compliments SJ's direction).

I'm just hoping that the competitiveness of this spot brings out the best in atleast one of the three.

I may have missed it, however most relevant stat for next year is how often we win with these lads at 6 with Sj.

Perhaps a different stat the year after.
TMM 3 wins 5 losses (including playoffs)
Metcalf 10 wins 2 losses
CHT at 58th next to SJ
2 Wins 8 losses

CHT 8 losses were all in a row after getting 2 wins up front. Would make anyone want to quit.

My gut says TMM

1. Metcalfe. Played well throughout his time, scored a few solo tries taking on the line, threw a few nice cut out passes for his edge to score and backed up to score a few times too. Lacked polish , defence was ok but he wasn't dominating his opposites. Still young , will be a good starting half in a few years.
2. ChT. Always played well enough in multiple iterations of warriors teams running outside the 8. Definately wasn't the crux of our problems. Runs straight and hard and can put on a step. Left foot kick. Defence is aggressive and he whacks rather than wrestles. Might be short a run , but isn't coming off major injuries like the other two.
3.TMM. Has played in some very good teams, always earmarked as a player to watch. Calm and likeable. Knows his role well and never seems flustered. Lots of Finals Experience. Webby noted he never if rarely gets dominated in a wrestle. He is what I'd call a great 2IC. All speculation obviously , outside looking in etc. But he does have a great running game and passing game , can play an edge well and has a kick in him - don't really need him positional kicking though with SJ.

If SJ needs a game or two off , we would have a different style imo. ChT and TMM both playing sides. With SJ he can play both sides with TMM or CNK or CHT as 2nd or 3rd receivers or running options.
With Tohu and Dylan SJ TMM Egan on the field that's 5 halves essentially....

My gut says TMM

1. Metcalfe. Played well throughout his time, scored a few solo tries taking on the line, threw a few nice cut out passes for his edge to score and backed up to score a few times too. Lacked polish , defence was ok but he wasn't dominating his opposites. Still young , will be a good starting half in a few years.
2. ChT. Always played well enough in multiple iterations of warriors teams running outside the 8. Definately wasn't the crux of our problems. Runs straight and hard and can put on a step. Left foot kick. Defence is aggressive and he whacks rather than wrestles. Might be short a run , but isn't coming off major injuries like the other two.
3.TMM. Has played in some very good teams, always earmarked as a player to watch. Calm and likeable. Knows his role well and never seems flustered. Lots of Finals Experience. Webby noted he never if rarely gets dominated in a wrestle. He is what I'd call a great 2IC. All speculation obviously , outside looking in etc. But he does have a great running game and passing game , can play an edge well and has a kick in him - don't really need him positional kicking though with SJ.

If SJ needs a game or two off , we would have a different style imo. ChT and TMM both playing sides. With SJ he can play both sides with TMM or CNK or CHT as 2nd or 3rd receivers or running options.
I guess what you are saying is that TMMs x factor is finals footy experience
Metcalfs is running
Not sure CHT has an x factor apart from putting on shots in defence

My gut says TMM

You’ve hit the nail on the head in my opinion.

I guess what you are saying is that TMMs x factor is finals footy experience
Metcalfs is running
Not sure CHT has an x factor apart from putting on shots in defence
I'm saying they're all good players.
Cht might be a run or two short though.
TMM struggled with his leg.
So did Metcalfe.

Xfactors tricky. Lots of players have unique styles or ways they go about things but actual Xfactor or I dunno generational talents rare. We have 3 in our squad though.
SJ
AFB
RTS
they rely on genetics and intense skill.

Back