General 2024/2025 Halves Discussion

Who should pair SJ in the halves in 2024?

• Total voters
I found watching Metcalf last year really frustrating. I didn't mind his defense so much as most young halves are not the greatest defenders. For me it was his anticipation and timing. He had a tendency to over run the ball carrier and be off with his timing. He also got white line fever a few too many times. In saying all that what he needs is more FG games. So my pick is Metcalf provided that he has signed long term with us. He has the highest ceiling of the three.

Yeah I agree, he was the 'nearly man' 3 or 4 times last year where he scored and it was disallowed, or called back with no one in front of him.
Imagine another solid preseason where Metcalf gets to run around with the boys and form good combinations with who ever is outside him, and he gets that timing.

Deffo seems like he has the most upside, IF he gets it right this year we could see a year similar to Mam in 23...would be pretty hard for defences to mark up on Metcalf, RTS and Capewell all on the one side...

All three halves have weaknesses, Martin can’t kick and running game isn’t great. Metcalf lacks vision and organizing skills. CHT lacks speed and his kicking game isn’t that flash.

We are a lot more structured than when CHT left and that might help him. Still hard to see him be more than a sidekick to a good half. If Metcalf is going to have a breakout year this has to be it for him.

I’m tempted by RTS at 6 to be honest as SJ will do all the kicking anyway. Gets his hands on the ball and will be taking on forwards with the ball rather than more athletic backs.

I’m tempted by RTS at 6 to be honest as SJ will do all the kicking anyway. Gets his hands on the ball and will be taking on forwards with the ball rather than more athletic backs.
carefull, to quote a Wrighty Wrighty ism you will get flamed for suggesting RTS at 6....

even though it has some merit

Pretty sure there is already a Martin v Metcalf thread, but we have a new (and it would seem quite polarising lol) entrant.

Trying to save the recruitment thread for recruitment discussion as well.
Well done.
Certainly needs it's own thread.

I voted TMM.

I can confidently say I have bugger all idea who REALLY should have the job, like B & Hoes said, all have their strengths and weaknesses, and he is quite right about finding SJ's foil then worrying about what comes after.....when we get there.

I am not one to worry bout whether Metcalf signs elsewhere 2025, you should always use the best you have while you got it.

The age of trying to forecast long term is kinda a moot point....there is no way of knowing if a player will want to stay anyway....irrespective of how long you sign them for and how much.

Cant see CHT being seen as a first choice 5/8 when you have 2 players in TMM and Metcalf who are primarily a 5/8. CHT's versatility may be a burden. I can see him turning into a lock/utility in the style of Victor Radley. We may have overpaid for Dylan Walker in hindsight now we have someone like CHT back. Not sure where all the pieces fall in the puzzle, but ideally you want your highest paid players to be in the top 17 each week.

As for TMM and Metcalf, whilst Metcalf is good at backup up in support and making breaks himself, he lacks vision and awareness to set up his outside. He is still a gamebreaker and we need game breakers.

TMM IMO was fairly average last season and feel that people are still basing how good he is based on the oustanding season he had at the Broncos at fullback.

Voted for Metcalf. Confident he will get better with more time in first grade.

Metcalf is my choice. Development important, having RTS outside him can only help. Pace and great support running. We will see if the needed improvements come.

Another Wrighty Analysis on their Career Statistics

Warning this is not a robust analysis. Metcalf has a small sample of games and there are other issues I will point out.

Total GamesTriesTry AssistsTacklesMissed TTry%Try Assist%Missed T%
Metcalf
19​
9​
4​
247​
36​
47.4%​
21.1%​
12.7%​
TMM
77​
15​
21​
1139​
189​
19.5%​
27.3%​
14.2%​
CHT
54​
7​
17​
889​
143​
13.0%​
31.5%​
13.9%​

Takeways from this analysis

1) Metcalf is by far and away the best runner. His try scoring percentage is that he dots down in 47% of all games. TMM is a better runner than CHT which we knew.
2) Try assist percentage is really interesting. This shows that CHT has the best vision and creative ability for the players around him and by inference the best distribution skills. CHT got a try assist in 31.5% of games. TMM slightly behind and Metcalf well behind in distribution.
3) Missed Tackle percentage is a FLAWED STATISTIC. Tackle efficiency is a more complex calculation. Nonetheless I had it for all three of them and weirdly Metcalf misses the fewest tackles and TMM the most which is the opposite of what I thought.
So I ran some more numbers and looked at total tackes per game (whether successful or unsuccessful) and this seemed to line up better to what we all think of their defensive capabilities

Metcalf Tackles per game 14.89
TMM Tackes per game 17.25
CHT Tackles per game 19.11

I reckon the Warriors have done these same numbers or something to it
They make CHT look like the best passer/distributor and the best defender and Metcalf the best runner.
I reckon the shoot out is between CHT and Metcalf.

More Stats

Metcalf Total Games 19 Forced Drop outs 0 Forced Dropout % 0.0%
TMM Total Games 77 Forced Drop outs 13 Forced Dropout % 16.9%
CHT Total Games 19 Forced Drop outs 24 Forced Dropout % 44.4%

What are their stats in playing in the halves only?
Don't know but here is their overall playing appearances by position for you to make some inferences from. This is from rugby league project so includes NSW cup

AppearancesCHTTMMMetcalf
Fullback
3​
24​
7​
Five Eighth
49​
60​
27​
Half back
27​
6​
7​
Hooker
1​
1* - He was actually Lock in this game​
Bemch
11​
9​
5​

More Stats

Metcalf Total Games 19 Forced Drop outs 0 Forced Dropout % 0.0%
TMM Total Games 77 Forced Drop outs 13 Forced Dropout % 16.9%
CHT Total Games 19 Forced Drop outs 24 Forced Dropout % 44.4%

Bit of a nothing stat as i think CHT is the only one of them who's played a whole season and a lot more games as the go to last play kicker , so youd expect him to have more dropouts, metres etc

I think he probably does have the better kicking game out of them all but the only thing the stats prove is that he's done more of it......imo.

Don't know but here is their overall playing appearances by position for you to make some inferences from. This is from rugby league project so includes NSW cup

AppearancesCHTTMMMetcalf
Fullback
3​
24​
7​
Five Eighth
49​
60​
27​
Half back
27​
6​
7​
Hooker
1​
1* - He was actually Lock in this game​
Bemch
11​
9​
5​
Any idea which are first grade and which are nsw or queensland cup?

Kicking Stats

GamesKicking MetresGoalsAttempts40 20sKick Metres/GameGoal Kicking Percent
Metcalf
19​
756​
1​
1​
39.8​
100%
TMM
77​
2293​
0​
1​
29.8​
0%
CHT
54​
8979​
52​
64​
3​
166.3​
81.3%

Please note 40 20 stats I found only go back to 2018 and TMM started in 2016

Another Wrighty Analysis on their Career Statistics

Warning this is not a robust analysis. Metcalf has a small sample of games and there are other issues I will point out.

Total GamesTriesTry AssistsTacklesMissed TTry%Try Assist%Missed T%
Metcalf
19​
9​
4​
247​
36​
47.4%​
21.1%​
12.7%​
TMM
77​
15​
21​
1139​
189​
19.5%​
27.3%​
14.2%​
CHT
54​
7​
17​
889​
143​
13.0%​
31.5%​
13.9%​

Takeways from this analysis

2) Try assist percentage is really interesting. This shows that CHT has the best vision and creative ability for the players around him and by inference the best distribution skills. CHT got a try assist in 31.5% of games. TMM slightly behind and Metcalf well behind in distribution.
I would be more interested at what that stat is when he's playing as the secondary playmaker......because thats the position their all vying for with most of the attack going through SJ.

As per the other post i replied to he's played more as the on the ball/last tackle half with a lot more play going through him so youd expect his numbers to be higher......doesnt necessarily mean he has the best distribution skills......just means he's had more of an oppertunity to use them.

I would be more interested at what that stat is when he's playing as the secondary playmaker......because thats the position their all vying for with most of the attack going through SJ.

As per the other post i replied to he's played more as the on the ball/last tackle half with a lot more play going through him so youd expect his numbers to be higher......doesnt necessarily mean he has the best distribution skills......just means he's had more of an oppertunity to use them.
Yeah , TMM seems like the best guy imo in the fact he knows very well what's required of him to play robin to the batman as it were.

Any idea which are first grade and which are nsw or queensland cup?

CHTTMMMetcalf
NRL
Fullback
3​
23​
Five Eigth
27​
45​
14​
Half back
16​
0​