Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
The "no reward" part.
Well, that's based on experience and several close family members who have worked in Ministry positions.

When you have someone who has good work ethic and a desire to make a difference, like my sister for example who worked for the Ministry of Education, that only lasts for so long when you are the minority in that regard. If you are stuck in a pay bracket, no bonuses and aren't getting personal satisfaction or a feeing that your contribution is making a difference then what reward are you getting for your efforts?

Would you stay were you are if you weren't being rewarded for your performance, whether monetary or otherwise?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Well, that's based on experience and several close family members who have worked in Ministry positions.

When you have someone who has good work ethic and a desire to make a difference, like my sister for example who worked for the Ministry of Education, that only lasts for so long when you are the minority in that regard. If you are stuck in a pay bracket, no bonuses and aren't getting personal satisfaction or a feeing that your contribution is making a difference then what reward are you getting for your efforts?

Would you stay were you are if you weren't being rewarded for your performance, whether monetary or otherwise?
I've worked in a few jobs where I had to find another job to get any sort of monetary reward for performance.
Move schools or if in the actual Ministry - move to another sector of the PS. I've heard it's pretty easy to move Ministry to Ministry.
My partner works in a Ministry. She's offered a heap of professional development opportunities and job progression with the Ministry she works at. Could be a case of she's in a team/division that is run by cunts. It happens everywhere.

Do you really think she'd get treated better in the private sector? I've only worked at two companies that actively engaged in proper professional development.
Most of the managers I've worked under were garbage at fostering solid team culture or any sort of feedback or performance metrics. Remuneration is often poor.

I think we have real under investment in upskilling/training and development in NZ as a whole. Management development appears non existent.
I haven't worked in any really big corps though, perhaps they are different.

Including your sister?

Thats becomes the issue. We all know greater efficiency is the thing to do from a logical perspective but we all know people personally affected so our heart competes with our head.
She left, they loved her and wanted her to stay but she couldn't stand it. The number of people she worked with that put in less hours and less effort, which affected her role and work as well because she ended up having to wait for them to get their bits completed (and often not to a good standard) before she could finish her stuff. She went back to working in schools currently acting principal at a primary school and loving it - she is setting the expectations and driving them.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Yeah perhaps excluding wasn't the right word. Maybe focusing more on the Ministries.

Anyway, the points still stand. I'm all for trimming down the layers and number of back room staff.
Sure, could always be run more efficiently - but is the most effective way to simply cut funding and start hiring freezes? Better to identify why there are problems/under performance.
When you cut/offer volunteer redundancy company/sector wide, you often lose the good staff first.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I've worked in a few jobs where I had to find another job to get any sort of monetary reward for performance.
Move schools or if in the actual Ministry - move to another sector of the PS. I've heard it's pretty easy to move Ministry to Ministry.
My partner works in a Ministry. She's offered a heap of professional development opportunities and job progression with the Ministry she works at. Could be a case of she's in a team/division that is run by cunts. It happens everywhere.

Do you really think she'd get treated better in the private sector? I've only worked at two companies that actively engaged in proper professional development.
Most of the managers I've worked under were garbage at fostering solid team culture or any sort of feedback or performance metrics. Remuneration is often poor.

I think we have real under investment in upskilling/training and development in NZ as a whole. Management development appears non existent.
I haven't worked in any really big corps though, perhaps they are different.
It's not about how she is treated, more the low expectations or performance of others that is accepted there. The private sector isn't perfect either but there is definitely more of a focus on results and with more urgency, certainly from my experience.

Does your wife work in a smaller Ministry? Or one that has a large number of staff?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
It's not about how she is treated, more the low expectations or performance of others that is accepted there. The private sector isn't perfect either but there is definitely more of a focus on results and with more urgency, certainly from my experience.

Does your wife work in a smaller Ministry? Or one that has a large number of staff?
She works in a big one. Lots of focus on performance.

Back