Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

NZWarriors.com
They can't all be doing nothing all day ...or can they?
The Pareto principle states that for many outcomes, roughly 80% of consequences come from 20% of causes (the "vital few").

The public service self select people who aren't "high performers" at a much higher rate. This then leads to institutional culture. But yes the entire public service will be being maintained by the 20%. I mean HR managers & cultural advisors dont really produce much now do they?

The Pareto principle states that for many outcomes, roughly 80% of consequences come from 20% of causes (the "vital few").

The public service self select people who aren't "high performers" at a much higher rate. This then leads to institutional culture. But yes the entire public service will be being maintained by the 20%. I mean HR managers & cultural advisors dont really produce much now do they?
Pretty much this. The 80% have a Lack of urgency, lack of performance, low output. The other 20% producing value and getting frustrated by the other 80% so they either leave or lower themselves to that level because why wouldn't they?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Pretty much this. The 80% have a Lack of urgency, lack of performance, low output. The other 20% producing value and getting frustrated by the other 80% so they either leave or lower themselves to that level because why wouldn't they?
This is everywhere, not just in the public service.
The majority of the employees at the company I work for, could perish tomorrow and it would continue unaffected.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

A FTE figure over time is kinda meaningless. It doesn't take into account population growth or expansion of services and need. It'd be better to see what the percentage of the workforce is employed by the PS and how this has changed over time. Not forgetting we had pretty extreme population growth in NZ over that time
Even then, what is an ideal number of public service employees? Remembering they cover a wide range of roles - healthcare, education, law enforcement, public safety, social services, environmental/conservation, regulatory agencies, government administration.
I can think of a few sectors off the top of my head which don't have enough staff, healthcare - nursing, doctors. education, social services, courts and policing.

A FTE figure over time is kinda meaningless. It doesn't take into account population growth or expansion of services and need. It'd be better to see what the percentage of the workforce is employed by the PS and how this has changed over time. Not forgetting we had pretty extreme population growth in NZ over that time
Even then, what is an ideal number of public service employees? Remembering they cover a wide range of roles - healthcare, education, law enforcement, public safety, social services, environmental/conservation, regulatory agencies, government administration.
I can think of a few sectors off the top of my head which don't have enough staff, healthcare - nursing, doctors. education, social services, courts and policing.
Read the graph. It excludes front line public service workers

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
The majority of the employees at the company I work for, could perish tomorrow and it would continue unaffected.
Has your company personal doubled in size without a corresponding rise in improvement? There are always examples of employees at companies like that but the difference is the number of layers and people in the public sector and the overall level of output.

Has your company personal doubled in size without a corresponding rise in improvement? There are always examples of employees at companies like that but the difference is the number of layers and people in the public sector and the overall level of output.
We have doubled our R&D department for zero output.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Honestly mate, find a new employer.

Your employer doesn’t have any ambition so your talents are wasted there 🤣

Go to a high performing company!

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back