Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

youre an idiot if you think people are walking or cycling that far from parliament on their lunch break.

it’s the unused cycle lanes and no other reason. the dude even said it.

or do you think maybe you understand his business better than he does after 30 years?

let me know where here in wellington you live in comparison to thorndon quay and i’ll happily meet you there for a run and we can count the cyclists not using the cycle lane.

or did you want to talk about the furniture store left with four carparks?
fucking FOUR?
a store the size of a supermarket and they can have a maximum of 4 paying parties at any time on a rainy day.

or maybe their customers can just carry their new sofa 1.2km down a cycle lane to paid parking while they go fuck themselves?

come on MT8.
If I have alter egos then you must be..............deaninruinbrownstonewhite!!!!!!

NZWarriors.com
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Naval ship*
I'm not talking about the statistics of a demographic making it to be CO of a ship, I'm saying people questioning whether she is competent or not purely due to her gender or sexuality are wrong as she is a highly competent CO and Warfare Officer having worked for her directly and indirectly.
Does NZ even have ships? Youve just got 5, oop now 4 little boats right?

What your measurement for competence for a naval captain? Would have thought the top 3 are
  1. winning a war
  2. not losing a war
  3. not sinking your ship

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Not necessarily due to a DEI policy.

CDR Gray has 20 years plus experience between the RN and RNZN, was the CO of the Mine Counter Measures Team and was the Fleet Executive Officer of the Maritime Operational Evaluation Team that literally assesses the competency of our fleet. She was and is a highly competent Warfare Officer and had already spent nearly two unblemished years as CO of HMNZS Manawanui before this incident.
To suggest she is not in her current role due to her competency or ahead of others due to gender is incorrect.
Served under a female Brig in Afghan. Nice lady, rubbish officer and even worse CO. Told a group of shooters (incl SAS Cats) that her clerk was the "model soldier"... dude got waivered for failing BFA's. By the 1/2 way mark we kept her out of loop on operations, with the help of officers, officially making it mutinous.

She got promoted a year or so later.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Having a vagina doesnt exempt you from criticism
What the progressive don’t understand is by lowering criteria to be inclusive, it just results in undermining the credibility of anyone in that group.

This captain could be competent and better than any guy but the push for inclusivity has tainted them have cast doubt on her ability as a default position.

Which is sad really and why policy should be based purely on competency.

Careful what you wish for…

What the progressive don’t understand is by lowering criteria to be inclusive, it just results in undermining the credibility of anyone in that group.

This captain could be competent and better than any guy but the push for inclusivity has tainted them have cast doubt on her ability as a default position.

Which is sad really and why policy should be based purely on competency.

Careful what you wish for…
This is what it ultimately boils down to. And as far as women in infantry, the experiment in Australia was a complete failure. Not aware of 1 woman enlisting and passing through the schools, serving in a battalion and completing her 4 years.

Lots of youngers guys playing with the idea of identifying as a woman to get the advantages though.

youre an idiot if you think people are walking or cycling that far from parliament on their lunch break.

it’s the unused cycle lanes and no other reason. the dude even said it.

or do you think maybe you understand his business better than he does after 30 years?

let me know where here in wellington you live in comparison to thorndon quay and i’ll happily meet you there for a run and we can count the cyclists not using the cycle lane.

or did you want to talk about the furniture store left with four carparks?
fucking FOUR?
a store the size of a supermarket and they can have a maximum of 4 paying parties at any time on a rainy day.

or maybe their customers can just carry their new sofa 1.2km down a cycle lane to paid parking while they go fuck themselves?

come on MT8.
Laying off such a massive amount of the public sector and the rest being worried about their jobs definitely does not stimulate spending.
So it's most definitely a factor in what is going on and equally comment worthy as carparking.

come of MT8 you hate all politicians remember.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Laying off such a massive amount of the public sector and the rest being worried about their jobs definitely does not stimulate spending.
So it's most definitely a factor in what is going on and equally comment worthy as carparking.

I think you're actually both looking at different sides of the same coin. The cycle lanes and reduced parking are probably the straw that broke the camel's back BUT their difficulties most likely started with the 1st Nationwide lock down in 2020. Then a number of workers decided working from home wasn't too bad so the number of people in the CBD was reduced. A recession hit so discretionary spending on things like coffee reduced. Some offices then brought coffee machines (such as the Wellington sales office for the company my wife works from) to encourage people back into the office. The government has cut back staff so even less people in the CBD. And then came the cycle lanes. IMO, everything would have contributed to them closing.... not just the cycles lanes but also including them.

i do hate them all.
as far as bordeaux goes, it’s almost entirely old people that go there and it’s relatively expensive as far as bakeries/cafes go.
most of it’s clientele don’t work anymore let alone work at parliament.

you don’t think the owner knows why his business has failed? or do you think he’s lying

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I think you're actually both looking at different sides of the same coin. The cycle lanes and reduced parking are probably the straw that broke the camel's back BUT their difficulties most likely started with the 1st Nationwide lock down in 2020. Then a number of workers decided working from home wasn't too bad so the number of people in the CBD was reduced. A recession hit so discretionary spending on things like coffee reduced. Some offices then brought coffee machines (such as the Wellington sales office for the company my wife works from) to encourage people back into the office. The government has cut back staff so even less people in the CBD. And then came the cycle lanes. IMO, everything would have contributed to them closing.... not just the cycles lanes but also including them.
definitely.
but a lot of places in the inner city suburbs here are absolutely thriving, that was one of them.

there’s still plenty of people out with money to spend, it’s just a shame they can’t even get to the places to spend it. hundreds of employees and business owners affected for one small stretch of mostly unused cycle lane. it’s such an unnecessary stretch there too.

they also want to carry it through lambton quay all the way to the end of courtney place. that will be 60% of the whole city’s retail/ hospitality done for.

but at least people will be able to cycle past empty shops a day or two out of each week. pity there won’t be much to do or see though.

as i’ve said before, i’m all for cycle lanes and shred paths. i use them almost every day. but we need to stop pretending they don’t disrupt or shut down businesses. and as everyone knows, with wellington weather and especially the wind, they’re just not able to be used as often as other cities.

so my thought is at what point does the sacrifice of all those businesses outweigh having a nice colorful stretch of bike lane?

i do hate them all.
as far as bordeaux goes, it’s almost entirely old people that go there and it’s relatively expensive as far as bakeries/cafes go.
most of it’s clientele don’t work anymore let alone work at parliament.

you don’t think the owner knows why his business has failed? or do you think he’s lying
Mike made the point much better than me.
While cycle lanes or lack parking is a likely contributing factor - there a many other just as valid reasons.
The owner even acknowledges other factors are in play in the article when pressed, so it become some weird ideology thing to not even mention in the discussion.

Hospitality is not exactly thriving anywhere at the moment - cycle lanes of not.

Maybe the city will thrive when the works done?

Back