• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

There is no justification, no case, no rationale, no moral high ground to raise the speed limit. There is only an ideological culture war conducted by this government at the expense of us all.

There will be more deaths as a result of this flawed and dangerous policy

JFC christ MaybeTop8 MaybeTop8 do you even read past the headline? That report is from a group called Global Road Safety Partnership (GRSP). Lets have a little look into them shall we, as you love to check peoples politics.

Well they are working on the Bloomberg Iniative (who is this Bloomberg fellow? Not a neoliberal capitalist I hope).. And lets check their sponsors and members... Ohh my..
1726636065915.png

NZWarriors.com
JFC christ MaybeTop8 MaybeTop8 do you even read past the headline? That report is from a group called Global Road Safety Partnership (GRSP). Lets have a little look into them shall we, as you love to check peoples politics.

Well they are working on the Bloomberg Iniative (who is this Bloomberg fellow? Not a neoliberal capitalist I hope).. And lets check their sponsors and members... Ohh my..
View attachment 9579
JFC Frank - https://theconversation.com/faster-...he probability,almost $225 billion since 2001.

People can't drive for shit. People who can't drive for shit drive faster and cause more damage. I'm one of them - I can't drive for shit. There have been 16 crashes in the last two years outside my house, on a narrow winding arterial route because people go too fast and can't drive for shit.

JFC Frank - https://theconversation.com/faster-is-not-always-better-why-the-case-for-higher-speed-limits-is-fatally-flawed-239181#:~:text=As speeds increase, the probability,almost $225 billion since 2001.

People can't drive for shit. People who can't drive for shit drive faster and cause more damage. I'm one of them - I can't drive for shit. There have been 16 crashes in the last two years outside my house, on a narrow winding arterial route because people go too fast and can't drive for shit.
Classic political divide. You want authoritarian govt control, I want personal accountability.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
JFC Frank - https://theconversation.com/faster-is-not-always-better-why-the-case-for-higher-speed-limits-is-fatally-flawed-239181#:~:text=As speeds increase, the probability,almost $225 billion since 2001.

so those who break the law and drive faster than the speed limit anyway will slow down if labour decreases the speed limits but crash and die if national raises speed limits?

also, why do people in such shitty cars always drive like such assholes?

so those who break the law and drive faster than the speed limit anyway will slow down if labour decreases the speed limits but crash and die if national raises speed limits?

also, why do people in such shitty cars always drive like such assholes?
Should have a graduated license, right up to unrestricted as long as the car and driver can handle it :ROFLMAO:

Should have a graduated license, right up to unrestricted as long as the car and driver can handle it :ROFLMAO:
it seems some people don’t like burdening themselves with learning life skills. they’d rather just fail and blame everyone else.

and then of course you have those who think we just need a kind and smily prime minister to restrict everyone to living with a helmet and knee pads on so those who need extra help don’t delete themselves from existence.

Last edited:
$530k annualised, no big deal. If he can remove $1.4b costs without dismantling Health further then will be a pretty solid return on investment.
Well that's the thing isn't it - Our health system is massively underfunded, people are dying on waiting lists and in ERs already, it's in crisis and under huge pressure. There ISN'T 1.5 billion to save, it needs billions put into it with decent planning, thought and investment.

But this corrupt government are only interested in enriching the already wealthy and staying within far right ideology, an ideology called neoliberalism.

It's the active dismantling of the health system as we know it. Agenda? I'll say privatisation, but at the moment it's just austerity with no end in sight apart from people's deaths.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
it seems some people don’t like burdening themselves with learning life skills. they’d rather just fail and blame everyone else.

and then of course you have those who think we just need a kind and smily prime minister to restrict everyone to living with a helmet and knee pads on so those who need extra help don’t delete themselves from existence.
Come on guys, you lot have a conscience (well some, anyway). And I know there's empathy there as well.

This isn't about left v right, whatever that even is. This is about watching our democracy get dismantled piece by piece, about the open and blatant enriching of the already wealthy, about the open and blatant corruption, about setting us back in our climate change efforts 70 years. And so much more destruction.

Fuck all the politics. Surely you lot see this is wrong? Well don't you?

Marv, I'm all for personal responsibility. The shit I'm saying is so far beyond that pettiness.

Come on guys, you lot have a conscience (well some, anyway). And I know there's empathy there as well.

This isn't about left v right, whatever that even is. This is about watching our democracy get dismantled piece by piece, about the open and blatant enriching of the already wealthy, about the open and blatant corruption, about setting us back in our climate change efforts 70 years. And so much more destruction.

Fuck all the politics. Surely you lot see this is wrong? Well don't you?

Marv, I'm all for personal responsibility. The shit I'm saying is so far beyond that pettiness.
maybe you could give us an argument pitting politically what we have now, what we had prior and what the best we realistically can/will get against each other.

my guess is it’ll show this government is around the same as the last. someone is always going to get the rough end of the stick. last time it was someone this time it’s someone else. and that’s all we’ll get.
none of the minorities will lead.

luckily.
if you want greens to lead the country you need to be prepared for ACT to also be able to.

Well that's the thing isn't it - Our health system is massively underfunded, people are dying on waiting lists and in ERs already, it's in crisis and under huge pressure. There ISN'T 1.5 billion to save, it needs billions put into it with decent planning, thought and investment.

But this corrupt government are only interested in enriching the already wealthy and staying within far right ideology, an ideology called neoliberalism.

It's the active dismantling of the health system as we know it. Agenda? I'll say privatisation, but at the moment it's just austerity with no end in sight apart from people's deaths.
If what you say is accurate, and this government is ‘far right’ and they are only interested in enriching those that are already wealthy, then they’ll get found out soon enough and lose the next election.

But that isn’t happening is it. The Coalition is gaining popularity and I’d be willing to bet that some form of the current incumbents will stroll in for a second term. So for that to happen it must mean that either the majority of voters are either far right, as you like to put it, or the coalition as a whole are centre right, otherwise wouldn’t their popularity be declining by now?

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Unless the margin of error is 0.08%, thats not great...
What people haven't picked up on is that, although, according to the taxpayers union poll, Labour have risen 0.8% from the previous poll that still puts them below the numbers that voted for them in last year's election.... when they received their second biggest loss in over a century.

Even worse for Labour is that fact that the Māori party have gone over the 5% threshold so there wouldn't be extra overhang MP's in Parliament there are now. Those overhang MP's wouldn't be lost by the National, ACT and NZF because their numbers are pretty consistent with the election night turn out but by Labour. One of Labour's allies getting over the 5% threshold would take seats from them and give the government an even larger majority.

What people haven't picked up on is that, although, according to the taxpayers union poll, Labour have risen 0.8% from the previous poll that still puts them below the numbers that voted for them in last year's election.... when they received their second biggest loss in over a century.

Even worse for Labour is that fact that the Māori party have gone over the 5% threshold so there wouldn't be extra overhang MP's in Parliament there are now. Those overhang MP's wouldn't be lost by the National, ACT and NZF because their numbers are pretty consistent with the election night turn out but by Labour. One of Labour's allies getting over the 5% threshold would take seats from them and give the government an even larger majority.
It’s remarkable isn’t it that a far right, totally corrupt Government, with zero conscience, could be so popular…

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Fed Res cut rates 0.5%. Must be good news for us concerning further cuts here. Some relief for mortgage rates and businesses.
Hopefully this will be in time to retain jobs.
Hopefully our bank changes mortgage rates before the end of the month when we need to re-fix ours.

Are you going to refix now or wait until the next announcement?
We’re likely to re-fix now

$500,000 at 8.4% for floating is $3,500 in interest payments per month or $21,000 over six months.
$500,000 at 6.85% for 6 months is $2,850 in interest payments per month or $17,100 over six months.

If you take the risk and wait a month, that will cost you $750 in interest for that month or $150 extra the next five months to break even.

A 0.025% drop after the RBNZ announcement would drop interest payments per month to $2,750 per month… an interest rate saving of $100 per month

The only way it would be worth waiting is for the interest rates to drop by 0.05% next month, which could happen but I doubt it.

I see BNZ have moved already and dropped their 12 month rate down over night. Be interesting to see if others drop theirs and if there’s any movement in the 6 month rates.

Pardon the pun…. Interesting times we’re living in.

Last edited:
We’re likely to re-fix now

$500,000 at 8.4% for floating is $3,500 in interest payments per month or $21,000 over six months.
$500,000 at 6.85% for 6 months is $2,850 in interest payments per month or $17,100 over six months.

If you take the risk and wait a month, that will cost you $750 in interest for that month or $150 extra the next five months to break even.

A 0.025% drop after the RBNZ announcement would drop interest payments per month to $2,750 per month… an interest rate saving of $100 per month

The only way it would be worth waiting is for the interest rates to drop by 0.05% next month, which could happen but I doubt it.

I see BNZ have moved already and dropped their 12 month rate down over night. Be interesting to see if others drop theirs and if there’s any movement in the 6 month rates.

Pardon the pun…. Interesting times we’re living in.
The 6 month fix looks the best option assuming the next cut is .25% although there are likely to be another couple during the fix period but the savings are for a shorter term. Good news anyway. Banks appear to be competitive at the moment so you may get a rate better than advertised.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back