• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics 🗳️ NZ Politics

At least the government has gotten one thing right.... their reforming of the RMA and fast tracking legislation is taking the final decision making away from the Ministers for granting consent and giving it to an independent board. I'm all for processing being made faster but not for the final word to be given to some of the Muppets in cabinet.

NZWarriors.com
Speaking of corruption, here's the Firearms minister bought and paid for by the gun lobby. Utterly, utterly corrupt.

If the greens, TPM, or Labour did anything 1/16th as bad the howls from certain people would be deafening. They should be now too.

She worked for a guns importer and then became a lobbyist. Might as well have NRA tattooed on her forehead

Did you end up getting a ban on the thread… or did it take a week or so to come up with your next juicy morsel of anti centre-right material?
This is your take on how ministers are conducting themselves? That the articles are Anti Centre Right Material?

I guess it's easier to bully maybe top 8 for our righties to acknowledge how dodgy some of our ministers are...

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
This is your take on how ministers are conducting themselves? That the articles are Anti Centre Right Material?

I guess it's easier to bully maybe top 8 for our righties to acknowledge how dodgy some of our ministers are...
It's interesting.... I think the issue isn't so much that someone was a lobbyist that is the issue for me.... but who they were employed by and acted for and how that works out with their portfolio/s.

I would have no issues with a health advocate or an "Age Concern" spokesperson becoming a minister but it's when Ministerial jobs are jobs to people on either "extreme" side I have an issue with. That would include say someone who was vermanently opposed to either private OR public transport, an extreme anti-business person, an extreme landlord or renters advocate, a "destroy the environment" ex-mining lobbyist or anti-development person.... and certainly hate the idea of our gun reform in the hands of NZ's version of an NRA spokesperson.

It's great having someone with experience as a Minister... but not when extremes come into it.

It's interesting.... I think the issue isn't so much that someone was a lobbyist that is the issue for me.... but who they were employed by and acted for and how that works out with their portfolio/s.

I would have no issues with a health advocate or an "Age Concern" spokesperson becoming a minister but it's when Ministerial jobs are jobs to people on either "extreme" side I have an issue with. That would include say someone who was vermanently opposed to either private OR public transport, an extreme anti-business person, an extreme landlord or renters advocate, a "destroy the environment" ex-mining lobbyist or anti-development person.... and certainly hate the idea of our gun reform in the hands of NZ's version of an NRA spokesperson.

It's great having someone with experience as a Minister... but not when extremes come into it.
Agree. however in this case her dealings with the tobacco and gun lobbies is well known. An absolute terrible choice for a ministerial post. I'd even go as far as to say an MP or candidate. I like what I see of a couple of the ACT MP's but she certainly is not one.

Bully?? That’s being a bit overly sensitive. Look I don’t need an article to know how poor the conduct is from ministers from all sides of the political spectrum. I’ve seen some of it first hand, (and to be specific I’m referring to top tier right-of-centre here) many of them are self serving c-bombs.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Next up: Regressive, destructive policy for energy that will set us back decades and make us international pariahs:
View: https://x.com/MusicalChairs14/status/1827998466632720462

View attachment 8861

Lol… we’re got extreme pricing, industries closing, power running out over winter on cold days and it’s only going to get worse in the future as demand continues to grow.

Every year we have a dry winter we will have major issue as we’re so reliant on hydro.

Our environmental concerns, RMA and banning policies over the past 6 years have led to where we are now. Were was all the new renewable generation when the left had their chance?

What’s your solution before next winter?

Lol… we’re got extreme pricing, industries closing, power running out over winter on cold days and it’s only going to get worse in the future as demand continues to grow.

Every year we have a dry winter we will have major issue as we’re so reliant on hydro.

Our environmental concerns, RMA and banning policies over the past 6 years have led to where we are now. Were was all the new renewable generation when the left had their chance?

What’s your solution before next winter?
Doubt there is one for next winter, won't it take years for the new gas pipelines to come online?

Labour discusses Capital Income Tax on ultra wealthy individuals​

Labour leader Chris Hipkins said the party’s tax policy is still a live discussion after the Labour Party social media account shared an account of a party meeting where former Revenue Minister David Parker allegedly discussed something called a Capital Income Tax.

Hipkins confirmed members were discussing a range of taxes,

“There’s a lot of conversation within the Labour Party at the moment around different forms of taxation: capital gains tax, wealth tax, combinations of the two, land taxes,” Hipkins said.

“If you look at capital gains tax and wealth tax, they sit on the same spectrum. It’s about taxing capital and they are variants of a similar theme.”

On August 19, Labour’s Whangaparāoa account shared a post titled, “Meeting David Parker - It’s a Capital Income Tax”.

The post described a meeting with Parker, who was Revenue Minister when the Labour Government developed the wealth tax proposal that was later killed by Hipkins. Parker told a party meeting about something called a “Capital Income Tax” or CIT. The author says this is “different from a capital gains tax - and not really a wealth tax - but a capital income tax”.

Much like 2023′s wealth tax proposal, it appears the revenue raised from this tax might help fund income tax cuts for workers in the form of a $10,000 tax-free threshold, meaning the first $10,000 people earned would not be taxed.

When asked about the Capital Income Tax idea on Tuesday, Parker told the Herald that a capital income tax was essentially a wealth tax.

The Labour Party is having a debate as to whether in the tax space we should have a capital gains tax or a wealth tax and a wealth tax can alternatively be described as a tax on capital income - a Capital Income Tax,” Parker said.

When asked whether he favoured using the revenue raised from any change in tax policy to fund additional services, or whether it should be used to redistribute income to workers, Parker pointed to the wealth tax proposal he put up last year as Revenue Minister.

“I won’t talk about the future but last time we proposed it, it was a tax switch,” he said.

Details on that policy was released after research published by the IRD showed the wealthiest New Zealanders paid tax at a rate half that of ordinary “middle-wealth” New Zealanders, mainly thanks to the fact that income earned through working is taxed lightly. The study found the average tax rate paid by a sample of 311 high-net-worth New Zealanders was just 9.4%. That compares with a tax rate of 20.2% paid by “middle-wealth” New Zealanders.

Finance Minister Nicola Willis took to X (formerly Twitter) to question why Parker was the one fronting the tax discussion, given he quit the Revenue portfolio in Government after losing the argument on a wealth tax.

“I understand that Labour loves talking about more taxes. What’s harder to work out is why would David Parker be stepping in to comment on Dr Russell and Hon Edmonds’ portfolios: He hasn’t held the revenue portfolio for more than a year” Willis said.

Hipkins confirmed one option under discussion was a combination of a CGT and a wealth tax, listing several things the party was discussing: “capital gains tax, wealth tax, combinations of the two, land taxes”.

“We’ve had an internal conversation in which all sorts of combinations are on the table. We will set out our tax policy in due course,” he said, adding Labour had not got far enough through the process to discuss anything.

The idea mentioned in the post of mixing a capital gains tax with taxing wealth over $20m could be one Labour opts to pursue.

The 2023 wealth tax triggered at net wealth of over $5m which would have been taxed at 1.5%. This would have taxed the wealthiest 0.5% of New Zealanders. Treasury documents released on that tax proposal said more than 55% of the $3.4 billion rising to $3.7b the tax would have raised would be paid by people whose wealth was $20m or more - New Zealand’s wealthiest 0.05%.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Next up: The gutting of New Zealand's health system, already underfunded for decades and under huge stress and strain. A class war on the poor and middle class of New Zealand for tax cuts we can't afford that enrich the already wealthy. 1724821542620.png

Next up: National boasting 1000 kids out of emergency motel housing but have absolutely no facts on why, how, or where and don't care. https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/35...s-over-where-kids-went-after-emergency-motels
super shitty.
absolutely no doubt.

however,
some questions need to be asked of the previous government as to why so many KO homes were torn down during a pandemic and while they were putting us in and out of lockdowns.

i couldn’t tell you exactly how many people lived here beforehand, or why it was anything but fucking insanity to put them all in backpackers in the central city, but a lot of those people are as responsible for the death of courtney place, cuba street and downtown wellington as covid lockdowns, the economy, or other factor.

i have hospo and retail business interests in courtney place and blair street that are all directly affected by goons intimidating, begging and fighting if not robbing regular patrons and tourists alike.

i have hours and hours of video of begging on the streets and going strait into liquor stores, selling drugs, fighting other gangs and robbing beneficiaries taking their pay out at midnight or whenever it arrives.

the amount of CCTV i’ve sent ms whanau’s office over the last however many months and had no reply is fucking wild.
in fact the amount of times i’ve seen her off her head and making a cunt of herself is even wilder.

numerous fights, a couple of closed down liquor stores that had been there decades.

the council and police are now trying to change liquor licenses to midnight instead of 4am because of them.

there was even someone beaten to death by one of these guys after he chased him down to the waterfront.
also a stabbing or two by the church on taranaki street,

all completely avoidable.
what do you expect when you put these people in essentially open jail cells?

tell me how the year or two before this government came to power was okay but the last 10 months were the backbreaker.

it’s a fucking shitshow.
and while i don’t for one second say or even think this government are better, you can’t say the previous government weren’t A LOT worse.

they broke this country (pamdemic or not) and now someone needs to
at least TRY and fix it.

sorry for typos.
long day.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
super shitty.
absolutely no doubt.

however,
some questions need to be asked of the previous government as to why so many KO homes were torn down during a pandemic and while they were putting us in and out of lockdowns.

i couldn’t tell you exactly how many people lived here beforehand, or why it was anything but fucking insanity to put them all in backpackers in the central city, but a lot of those people are as responsible for the death of courtney place, cuba street and downtown wellington as covid lockdowns, the economy, or other factor.

i have hospo and retail business interests in courtney place and blair street that are all directly affected by goons intimidating, begging and fighting if not robbing regular patrons and tourists alike.

i have hours and hours of video of begging on the streets and going strait into liquor stores, selling drugs, fighting other gangs and robbing beneficiaries taking their pay out at midnight or whenever it arrives.

the amount of CCTV i’ve sent ms whanau’s office over the last 18-24 months and had no reply is fucking wild.
in fact the amount of times i’ve seen her off her head and making a cunt of herself is even wilder.

numerous fights, a couple of closed down liquor stores that had been there decades.

the council and police are now trying to change liquor licenses to midnight instead of 4am because of them.

there was even someone beaten to death by one of these guys after he chased him down to the waterfront.
also a stabbing or two by the church on taranaki street,

all completely avoidable.
what do you expect when you put these people in essentially open jail cells?

tell me how the year or two before this government came to power was okay but the last 10 months were the backbreaker.

it’s a fucking shitshow.
and while i don’t for one second say or even think this government are better, you can’t say the previous government weren’t A LOT worse.

they broke this country (pamdemic or not) and now someone needs to
at least TRY and fix it.

sorry for typos.
long day.
Are you positive the state of the Wellington CBD isn't because of the benefit sanctions and a huge swathe of civil servants being laid off?

If that's TRYING to fix things we're cooked.

Meanwhile $7m on 3 new ministers offices!

Are you positive the state of the Wellington CBD isn't because of the benefit sanctions and a huge swathe of civil servants being laid off?

100% sure.

it’s been a STEEP downward trend since before ol’ chromedome was even on the ticket.

wellington has always been a left and mostly even green city.
look at the history of mayors

people are getting to the point where they’re either done with it or desperate for a change of direction.

most of the other business owners i speak
with have done a real big 180 over the last couple of years.

also just to be clear, CBD/cuba and courtney quarter are different. nothings ever been open after 5 or on the weekends down lambton quay end of town.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back