• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Politics đŸ—łď¸ NZ Politics

Looks like it's a win all round for greater speed restrictions, especially road safety according to this study. Pity our regressive culture war driven right wing coalition wants to take us back to the dark ages.

https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/16/11/4382#:~:text=On average, the implementation of,fatalities, and injuries, respectively.
I'm not surprised. Anyone familiar with cities in Europe would realise that 1500 year old streets only 2.4m wide would preclude going any faster than a walk.

Except in Italy and if you're driving anything red.

I’ll be shocked if they haven’t started to lower rates by November. Reserve Bank were already talking dovish & this print is better than their expectation of 3.6%. And all this is rearview mirror stuff. Our economy has continued to weaken since the start of that June quarter. Only blemish, and it is potentially the key one, is non-tradable inflation was 0.1% above expectations.
Given their statements in May when they nearly put the OCR up and also said that they couldn’t see the OCR dropping until the end of next year, any movement this year would a dramatic turn around. I’d certainly welcome a reduction.

Given their statements in May when they nearly put the OCR up and also said that they couldn’t see the OCR dropping until the end of next year, any movement this year would a dramatic turn around. I’d certainly welcome a reduction.
Yeah to use the jargon, within the space of 2 months the RBNZ went from hawkish to dovish. They should never have been talking further hikes in May, however unfortunately they don’t speak to anyone to find out what is really going on at the coal face. They’re a genuine disgrace.

Not if the public transport was any good, but that would require investment and progressive thinking.
Public transport is only viable in high density cities (eg Europe). Auckland CBD justifies it and it should be promoted. Many other NZ cities just result in empty buses.

I’m not actually against 30kph speed limited in CBD areas. It’s main highways and open road reduced; it’s the speed bumps to slow traffic everywhere; it’s the arterial routes slowed down; it’s 110km brand new motorways reduced to 100ks.

Main roads and arterial routes need the road fixing not speed reducing.

Looks like it's a win all round for greater speed restrictions, especially road safety according to this study. Pity our regressive culture war driven right wing coalition wants to take us back to the dark ages.

https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/16/11/4382#:~:text=On average, the implementation of,fatalities, and injuries, respectively.
I love reading studies.. Big lols

Findings from the literature review revealed that during the COVID-19 pandemic, average speed increased by 6–11% while a 22% increase in the drivers exceeding the speed limit was observed compared to the 2018–2019 average [29]. Thus, the decreased mobility patterns along with the reduced number of traffic volumes led to a reduction in road crashes and fatalities. This is contradictory with the results derived from the implementation of a 30 km/h speed limit for all cities examined in which lower average driving speeds of up to 7% were found..

Yeah you googled capatlism and that's one of the first links that comes up.
I even included a handy link because its not an obscure theorem.
What is the essential motive of capitalism?
Profit via private ownership of capital
and what exactly happens if it's not achieved.
Translation?
And say again with a straight face capitalism is not about money.
Its not, its about how we use capital. Not my fault you think capital ≡ paper money

BTC sats for one. Precious metals for another. I know few crazy preppers who try and operate outside the issued currency cycle. Any objective measure you want. Money is just what we use to keep track.

Its a very small but very important distinction.
Its is, but those things have a fiat currency value too, what's the point of investing capital in extracting metals if the profit doesn't have a value measured in money?

How is the profit measured if not in money value of assets gained
You’re all missing the point. Yes, capitalism is about money and everything having a value including making a profit.

But my post was that in giving labour and resources a value it allows the most efficient use of labour and resources. Completely unrelated to profit.

Money is just a means of exchange. The value is in its purchasing power - ie the relative value of labour and resources.

Just some of the changes from the Government in the last few months.

Forcing most building inspections to be remote, reforms to release a “flood” of new houses to the market by strong-arming councils to liberalise planning regimes, fast-track consenting, granny flat incentives, Resource Management Act reform, banning rules discouraging tiny apartments, reversing pro-tenant laws, allowing landlord tax deductions again, cutting timeframes on taxing house sale profits, scrapping first-home buyer grants, promoting build to rent, having Sir Bill English review Kāinga Ora, talk of reviewing the $2.34 billion-plus accommodation supplement. Amending the Brightline tax.

Wow! So much action it’s hard to keep up!

I don’t agree with all of them but our housing is dysfunctional and it flows through into a dysfunctional society. The status quo can’t keep wrecking people lives. I back making the hard and unpopular calls to do whatever it takes to fix housing. The cost of keeping doing what we’re doing is to high.

I would rather we have people living in lower quality houses than the explosion of people homeless and living in a car… I would rather first home buyers could afford a house. I would rather tenants had choice and could move if their rental is bad.

Keep up the good work National/ Act/ NZ First!

You’re all missing the point. Yes, capitalism is about money and everything having a value including making a profit.

But my post was that in giving labour and resources a value it allows the most efficient use of labour and resources. Completely unrelated to profit.

Money is just a means of exchange. The value is in its purchasing power - ie the relative value of labour and resources.
Are you trying to revive bartercard?

Just some of the changes from the Government in the last few months.

Forcing most building inspections to be remote, reforms to release a “flood” of new houses to the market by strong-arming councils to liberalise planning regimes, fast-track consenting, granny flat incentives, Resource Management Act reform, banning rules discouraging tiny apartments, reversing pro-tenant laws, allowing landlord tax deductions again, cutting timeframes on taxing house sale profits, scrapping first-home buyer grants, promoting build to rent, having Sir Bill English review Kāinga Ora, talk of reviewing the $2.34 billion-plus accommodation supplement. Amending the Brightline tax.

Wow! So much action it’s hard to keep up!

I don’t agree with all of them but our housing is dysfunctional and it flows through into a dysfunctional society. The status quo can’t keep wrecking people lives. I back making the hard and unpopular calls to do whatever it takes to fix housing. The cost of keeping doing what we’re doing is to high.

I would rather we have people living in lower quality houses than the explosion of people homeless and living in a car… I would rather first home buyers could afford a house. I would rather tenants had choice and could move if their rental is bad.

Keep up the good work National/ Act/ NZ First!

Yeo this industry needs fixing. But they should be building up not out, they aren't investing in infrastructure to support greenfield development and to be fair would need to invest for past greenfield development first as that wasn't done right.
This should be obvious to anyone, don't know why luxon and co can't see it.

The problem with H1 of the building code is that it only takes into account the value of the insulation and the performance of gazing units based on different regions within NZ. It doesn’t take into account the performance of all the materials which makes up an exterior wall such as AAC panels which offer far better insulation properties than say weatherboards over battens. The other problem with the changes made is that there isn’t a large increase in the thermal performance by changing roof insulation from R3.6 to R6.0 because most of the heat transfer occurs through windows…. standard double glazing has an R value of only R0.25 while the best - triple glazed with thermal breaks, low-E panes and argon filled - only has a R0.77 rating.

They would actually be better to remove charts in H1 and instead make designers comply with NZS 4218 which requires calculations for material types and construction methods, size of windows and orientation to the sun, performance of window types.

When they changed the H1 requirements, they boasted up the requirements for wall, sub-floor and ceiling insulation while ignoring the heat transfer through windows. They also looked to boasting up the requirements to meet that of Scandinavian countries and not countries with the heat ranges typically found in NZ.

Disclosure: I made a submission to MBIE about changing from H1 to NZS 4218 as it offers better thermal solutions for each individual structure instead of the H1 approach which just has charts which gives R ratings for walls, ceilings, windows and subfloors depending on where a dwelling is located.

Yeo this industry needs fixing. But they should be building up not out, they aren't investing in infrastructure to support greenfield development and to be fair would need to invest for past greenfield development first as that wasn't done right.
This should be obvious to anyone, don't know why luxon and co can't see it.
We’re been trying to build up not out for the last 20 years and it’s caused the crisis we currently have.

I agree we need huge density around traffic hubs. But there is to much nimbyism.

They have a fiat value, because that's the common acceptable medium of exchange. You technically could have an capitalist exchange based economy. It would just be incredibly inefficient.

I think the keyword here is standardisation, right?

Alot easier to say a chicken is worth $10, than say it's worth 20 bananas OR 15 carrots OR 5 old school Cadbury Chocolate bars.

Further to that, fiats value is more controllable. Goods are subject to rareity (seasonal, supply etc) and quality degredation (expiry dates).

I like Bitcoin and all that, but all it is is basically a digital gold rush. Whoever gets in first, profits the most; given a sustained/increased demand.

Back