Social 🍎 A Weighty Issue

Life is hard. Sugar is hideous and nice. Alcohol is nice as well as hideous. A key issue for my health has been using cold turkey when necessary and finding healthy balance with foods and drinks that are best in moderation.

Inruin Inruin. I've started taking some glucosamine and chondroitin which has cow gelatin stuff as well as borax (I know, borax. The ant killing, household cleaning borax?). Weird but its helping.

Savage September was good. Quiet October is still good. Getting to your 95kg goal is possible but you have to figure out the best way to get there and how to stay there. One suggestion I'd make is to research some high intensity interval training stuff. I do a 2 min moderate then 20 second high intensity. Then continually do that three times. It only adds up to one minute of high intensity but for the life of me it ignited a zillion good things in my health. It could be done on a bike, or stationary bike, boxing bag, jog then sprint. See if it has any merit for you.

NZWarriors.com
Life is hard. Sugar is hideous and nice. Alcohol is nice as well as hideous. A key issue for my health has been using cold turkey when necessary and finding healthy balance with foods and drinks that are best in moderation.

Inruin Inruin. I've started taking some glucosamine and chondroitin which has cow gelatin stuff as well as borax (I know, borax. The ant killing, household cleaning borax?). Weird but its helping.

Savage September was good. Quiet October is still good. Getting to your 95kg goal is possible but you have to figure out the best way to get there and how to stay there. One suggestion I'd make is to research some high intensity interval training stuff. I do a 2 min moderate then 20 second high intensity. Then continually do that three times. It only adds up to one minute of high intensity but for the life of me it ignited a zillion good things in my health. It could be done on a bike, or stationary bike, boxing bag, jog then sprint. See if it has any merit for you.
Yeah I'm going to give the 95kg goal a good crack. I might try your suggestion around high intensity. Running at this stage isn't an option. I was thinking about doing some swimming at the local pool.

Thought I'd update my progress. Sitting at 98.5kg today. Really struggling to lose any weight now. I have come down from 105kg just prior to Christmas and had targeted 95kg as my goal for Dec 24th. I am undecided as to whether I try and go hard to make this or focus more on stretching and strengthening - The savage September thread has been great for this. Never too old to try some new things. Never thought I'd be doing Pilates! Thanks @MrFrankWhite and run_it_str8_again in particular.

@Wrighty how are you going with your goals?

Also, are there any nutritionists or similar on here? I have a very sweet tooth so cutting out the biscuits, lollies, chocolate and soft drinks was hard for me. I switched to Coke Zero as a 'better' alternative. I just read somewhere that this is almost as bad because the artificial sweeteners cause your body to react the same way it does to sugar and can cause weight gain. FFS!

Oh well, onwards! I think I'm going to change my goal for the next 10 weeks to getting to 96kg-97kg and improving my strength and flexibility. Unless someone is going to talk me in to sticking to 95kg AND doing the strength and flexibility piece.
Good work on your weight loss. It is natural to hit a plateau. When you start the changes you make like eating cleaner or more exercise is typically enough. When you get down you then may need to focus on things a bit more.

For the coke zero. I wouldn't worry about it too much. A YouTube channel I watch that debunks a lot of nutrition advice while citing studies often debunks things on diet coke etc.

I've added some soft drinks back into my diet. More to give me some variety from just having water, or water mixed with protein powder.

I only have the new smaller cans. The old school ones or the larger ones really throw me off. The reason for the smaller ones is for portion control.

I stick to the zero sugar drinks. Coke I have even moved to zero sugar and zero caffeine. My main go to is Kombucha. The only reason I went back to coke is the Kombucha coke I was getting wasn't in stock anymore and I needed more variety than passionfruit.

This stuff. I love. Small can and it seem quite light so I never feel bloated.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Yeah I'm going to give the 95kg goal a good crack. I might try your suggestion around high intensity. Running at this stage isn't an option. I was thinking about doing some swimming at the local pool.
Swimming is great.

Depending on the depth of the pool even some walking/running. I used to do that as a warm up as the back of my knee use to get a bit sore. The walking used to help get me loosened up.

When I was at a similar weight (92-96kg) I'd try and run.

I used to run too quick. I went for a run with one of my mates I'd exercise with when I was young. I remember asking him "Do you always run this slow?". I did find slowing down helped a lot. Like a boxer or I think to myself slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Slowing down also meant less leg pain. As I was at times stopping due to sore legs instead of being tired.

Swimming is great.

Depending on the depth of the pool even some walking/running. I used to do that as a warm up as the back of my knee use to get a bit sore. The walking used to help get me loosened up.

When I was at a similar weight (92-96kg) I'd try and run.

I used to run too quick. I went for a run with one of my mates I'd exercise with when I was young. I remember asking him "Do you always run this slow?". I did find slowing down helped a lot. Like a boxer or I think to myself slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Slowing down also meant less leg pain. As I was at times stopping due to sore legs instead of being tired.
One aspect is my knees/shins hurting. The other is I find running incredibly boring and lacking for me. If it's as part of a sport like touch or tennis or something I don't mind it but still leads to sore knees/shins

One aspect is my knees/shins hurting. The other is I find running incredibly boring and lacking for me. If it's as part of a sport like touch or tennis or something I don't mind it but still leads to sore knees/shins
You can actually do focused exercises to strengthen the shins and knees. I remember talking with a doctor about my shin pain years ago and she asked how I got it. When I said "brisk walking" she said the solution step is more brisk walking

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Yeah I very rarely drink these days, the pain of the hangover (and the not so fun feeling of things like bloatedness/hiccups /acid reflux) has long outweighed the pleasure of the drinking for quite some time now for me 😅

I'll have a few quiet drinks at a gig (my own or a show I'm going to) or if with mates or family for some sort of get-together, but never in great quantity or at super speed ha.

Same with soft drinks, was never a massive fan of them anyway in adulthood, might indulge in a frozen coke at Maccas or a movie, but never buy for myself otherwise.

As for health updates in general, I'm now floating around the 100kg mark again - checked back at the start of this thread it was about a year ago I was floating around the 90k mark - so some improvement to be had. Those damn choccy bars and choccy milks (the 'protein' branded ones which I know are still basically liquid sugar) have their firm grasp on me!

Oops forgot when I typed this up I was meeting my band mate after work tonight for drinks and Ash live (Irish band that does the Jackie Chan song in the Rumble in the Bronx outtakes credits) - 5 beers and 2 whiskeys later 🥴

Was a fun gig so I'm OK with my unhealthy choices this time 😅

I'm similar. The main reason I cycle over running is I find it more interesting. Especially living in a city.

I didn't mind running when I was younger living in a small town located with lots of scenery.

Back