• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Social 🍎 A Weighty Issue

Bilateral compartment syndrome after the military. 1 year of reformer pilates I was running 5km again. 2 years and I was doing 10km for the first time ever.

I can’t recommend reformer pilates enough.
I think the calf problem and the fasciitis are related tbh. The latter comes and goes and the former kicks in like a muscle tear after 2 miles.

Need to work harder at the stretching I think. Like most runners I was on first name terms with a couple of sports injuries physios and they all told me the same, stretch more often

NZWarriors.com
I think the calf problem and the fasciitis are related tbh. The latter comes and goes and the former kicks in like a muscle tear after 2 miles.

Need to work harder at the stretching I think. Like most runners I was on first name terms with a couple of sports injuries physios and they all told me the same, stretch more often
Stretching has helped my old calf tear and plantar fasciitis. Also doing intrinsic foot and ankle movement has helped. And while not complete, also building whole groups of muscle is my next target

Ive had calf tear, plantar fasciitis etc and they can definitely be connected. Stretching and strengthening go well for the whole leg system. My approach was intrinsic foot muscle exercises, ridiculous stretching to make up for the neglect that caused it. And building the whole leg system and connecting it to the core strength as well. I haven't completely done all that but am in process. Go hard bro

Ive had calf tear, plantar fasciitis etc and they can definitely be connected. Stretching and strengthening go well for the whole leg system. My approach was intrinsic foot muscle exercises, ridiculous stretching to make up for the neglect that caused it. And building the whole leg system and connecting it to the core strength as well. I haven't completely done all that but am in process. Go hard bro
In my experience these are all symptoms of incorrect biomechanics and its almost invariably leads back to issues in your posterior chain.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Stretching has helped my old calf tear and plantar fasciitis. Also doing intrinsic foot and ankle movement has helped. And while not complete, also building whole groups of muscle is my next target
I was watching a video years ago where a trainer was talking about foot stress. Often when you are training your feet can give away first. That resonated with me at the time as I'd squat or do wall balls and get sore feet. I'd often have to stop due to getting sore feet and not because I couldn't lift or for the wall balls before I got tired.

I think his thing was training speed or agility. I was expecting foot strength to be the next big thing.

Stretching is something I'd like to do more. I'll go through patches where I'll do a lot but am not consistent. Usually want to worry about the things I am wanting to do like weights or cardio. I also get pressed for time as my workout time is usually in the evening. A little bit easier now they are older.

Now I am older I really need to dedicate more time to it. Especially in summer when I cycle so much and the mechanics aren't the best for you legs. I do use foam rollers and love my deep tissue roller.

I was watching a video years ago where a trainer was talking about foot stress. Often when you are training your feet can give away first. That resonated with me at the time as I'd squat or do wall balls and get sore feet. I'd often have to stop due to getting sore feet and not because I couldn't lift or for the wall balls before I got tired.

I think his thing was training speed or agility. I was expecting foot strength to be the next big thing.

Stretching is something I'd like to do more. I'll go through patches where I'll do a lot but am not consistent. Usually want to worry about the things I am wanting to do like weights or cardio. I also get pressed for time as my workout time is usually in the evening. A little bit easier now they are older.

Now I am older I really need to dedicate more time to it. Especially in summer when I cycle so much and the mechanics aren't the best for you legs. I do use foam rollers and love my deep tissue roller.
I've had really poor posture and bio mechanics due to ignorance or laziness. Now in my late 40s I realise that being over focused on one thing can lead to issues too. This is Interesting discussion so thanks Snake

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Im in my early 40s. Its not too late. I thought I'd never run again.
When you watch fitness content you often hear a lot about 40+ being the end. Sure some things might be harder, like putting on muscle.

I'm in my late 40s and am in a lot better shape than when I was in my 30s. I start cycling in my 30s and barely made any progress. Now I'm cycling crazy distances and getting my wife to pick me up at the next town. I'd ride home but some of the locations it is more a safety thing with the traffic building up later in the day.

I didn't have my bikes during some of the covid lockdowns and ended up running times/distances I never thought I'd be able to do 5-10 years earlier. I wanted to run around the lake I cycle around. I probably could have done it. It was only my small bladder holding me back. :LOL:

Injuries are a bit of a pain. I really should get my elbows sorted. Mainly so I can throw balls to my son who wants to play cricket.

Getting older you have to change things but being fit isn't impossible. My plan for my retirement is to swim, ride my bike and go for walks. Stretching or yoga as well would be good.

A YouTuber I occasionally watch often mentioned the gym bros aren't the hardcore ones. It is the old man/woman that goes to the pool every morning and grinds out laps.

When you watch fitness content you often hear a lot about 40+ being the end. Sure some things might be harder, like putting on muscle.

I'm in my late 40s and am in a lot better shape than when I was in my 30s. I start cycling in my 30s and barely made any progress. Now I'm cycling crazy distances and getting my wife to pick me up at the next town. I'd ride home but some of the locations it is more a safety thing with the traffic building up later in the day.

I didn't have my bikes during some of the covid lockdowns and ended up running times/distances I never thought I'd be able to do 5-10 years earlier. I wanted to run around the lake I cycle around. I probably could have done it. It was only my small bladder holding me back. :LOL:

Injuries are a bit of a pain. I really should get my elbows sorted. Mainly so I can throw balls to my son who wants to play cricket.

Getting older you have to change things but being fit isn't impossible. My plan for my retirement is to swim, ride my bike and go for walks. Stretching or yoga as well would be good.

A YouTuber I occasionally watch often mentioned the gym bros aren't the hardcore ones. It is the old man/woman that goes to the pool every morning and grinds out laps.
Good on you for getting so fit.
I am not a fan of running as a fitness discipline. In my case my knees started giving me problems in my early to mid 30's but continued to walk regularly.
I was my strongest in my 40's judging by my bench press.
Developed chronic tennis elbow in both elbows late 40's and golfers elbow also. Golfers was operated on and fixed easily, tennis elbow is only managed by rest, usually a couple of years or cortizon for a while.
I thought I had proven doctors and physios wrong by my early 50's, that injuries I had would not annoy me later on. That started late 50's, not too bad, just reminders of old pain, particularly in cold weather.
66 now and relatively content with my condition but could be much better if I put the time in.
I try to walk for 1.5 hours most days and spend an hour a day with the therraband.
Lots of my strength has gone and so too my stamina. I like building retaining walls and boardwalks around my place and I notice my output is way down on even five years ago. At lest I'm not daunted and put off starting.
You are doing the right things to be in good shape as you age.

Good on you for getting so fit.
I am not a fan of running as a fitness discipline. In my case my knees started giving me problems in my early to mid 30's but continued to walk regularly.
I was my strongest in my 40's judging by my bench press.
Developed chronic tennis elbow in both elbows late 40's and golfers elbow also. Golfers was operated on and fixed easily, tennis elbow is only managed by rest, usually a couple of years or cortizon for a while.
I thought I had proven doctors and physios wrong by my early 50's, that injuries I had would not annoy me later on. That started late 50's, not too bad, just reminders of old pain, particularly in cold weather.
66 now and relatively content with my condition but could be much better if I put the time in.
I try to walk for 1.5 hours most days and spend an hour a day with the therraband.
Lots of my strength has gone and so too my stamina. I like building retaining walls and boardwalks around my place and I notice my output is way down on even five years ago. At lest I'm not daunted and put off starting.
You are doing the right things to be in good shape as you age.

Another candidates for Reformer Pilates! I'm going to come to New Zealand and start a class up 😂

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I'm going to look that up. The ' Reformer' part makes me hesitant as I've had limited success in that department.
Its the key part. Taking all the weight of your body allows you to isolate the teeny tiny muscles that cant be targeted any other way. The reason I took it so seriously is a couple of mates in SASR were nearly broken and they credited it for saving their careers. Then it changed my life too.

Now I use it as a warm up for my training days. 45mins of high rep low weight movement targeting accessories.

Trying to get back into it again, biggest ‘new thing’ trying is sticking to portion sizes and food group % and daily recommendations.
Another interesting one is using the Strava app with mates to log exercise and be held accountable

Back