• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Pick Your Team Warriors v Tigers - [Round 21, 2024]

Do we think that Ford and Niukore are done on the edge? Ford showed promise in the middle and just offers 'effort' on the edge, which isn't getting the job done. Niukore is obviously a line running weapon, but this is only 5-6 runs a game (if that) and misses tackles / gives away silly penalties. With their mobility / lateral movement not being what it used to be, I'd be keeping them in the middle rotation and playing Laban, who was more than ok on the edge earlier in the season.

A prop rotation of Barney, AFB, Ford and Niukore seems pretty strong - three of them can then cover the second row (Laban/Capewell) in the event of injury.

The bench would then be Ford, Niukore, Halasima (can sub Laban, who probably can't play 80 yet, or Walker at 13) and Lussick or Jazz depending on what the team needs for the particular game.

For the Tigers game, I'd be going straight through the front door (with Walker, or Jazz at a pinch, covering 9 if required)

RTS, DWZ, MGT, Ali, MM, CHT, TMM
AFB, Egan, Barney, Capewell, Laban, Walker
Ford, Niukore, Halasima and Jazz

NZWarriors.com
How independent are these independent doctors?

Tuaupiki gets sent for a HIA assessment but not the Canberra player he collided with (who actually looked worse off).

That’s twice now that’s happened to us this season.

I’d be asking for a please explain.

Last edited:
Do we think that Ford and Niukore are done on the edge? Ford showed promise in the middle and just offers 'effort' on the edge, which isn't getting the job done. Niukore is obviously a line running weapon, but this is only 5-6 runs a game (if that) and misses tackles / gives away silly penalties. With their mobility / lateral movement not being what it used to be, I'd be keeping them in the middle rotation and playing Laban, who was more than ok on the edge earlier in the season.

A prop rotation of Barney, AFB, Ford and Niukore seems pretty strong - three of them can then cover the second row (Laban/Capewell) in the event of injury.

The bench would then be Ford, Niukore, Halasima (can sub Laban, who probably can't play 80 yet, or Walker at 13) and Lussick or Jazz depending on what the team needs for the particular game.

For the Tigers game, I'd be going straight through the front door (with Walker, or Jazz at a pinch, covering 9 if required)

Yep, Niukore is way too lazy to be on the edge. A far cry from his days at Parra where he could play anywhere. Let in 2 tries through being out of position. A silly penalty that leads to a raiders try. His line running is damaging, but that in itself doesn’t cut it, knowing he’s on 750k a year. Obviously not his fault that we paid massive overs to get him, but he is nowhere near worth that money when players like Kikau and Kolomatangi are on similar coin.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account

Niukore it sounded like they spent the off season preparing to play as a middle. That looked promising in the first trial and then he got injured. When he came back the team needed an edge forward and he went back there. However, it hasn't worked as well as last year.

That could be he's not as mobile. Or it could be the players around him. Johnson last year would just dump the ball off to him to set up the next play. Or he'd be involved in the shape and would help create space as the opposition need to account for defending this big unit coming through.

They need to review the balance of the squad and where they want him to play. If they have too many middles they may need to get rid of some or try and convert some or recruit another edge forward.

Ford I don't mind out on an edge. The main work on would be his handling and his line running. I'd be keen to have him as a 13. Get him to model his game after Luck doing the clean up work in the middle. Or Bradley Clyde and get him running back to take early tackles so it's not just the outside backs. I know the theme is for ball players at 13 but due to the last 15 years of playing a prop there there isn't a lot of natural ball players. I don't think having less ball playing until Walker comes on after 20 minutes is an issue.

We'll be the first team to employ the NFL Kicker type role. We'll sign Dan Carter and put him on the bench. Sub him on everytime we score. If we score more than 8 we're fucked.
We have no SJ, Pompey, Taine. CHT can get back in the horse or give it to Barney to kick them. I don't see a lot of point debating who is going to kick goals when all the players that were good enough to make the team in the first place and could kick are all injured and unavailable. First part is they need to be able to do their role on the field. Kicking goals is secondary even though important. Sounds like some are wanting what you are suggesting. But who else do we have that can do that? Can MGT kick goals?

The spoon bowl is on.
To be honest I've been more worried about the spoon than the 8 at some points.

The saving grace might be the Tigers stumbling after showing some promise and the Eels being without Moses.

The Tigers will still pick up wins. Hopefully, not this weekend.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Niukore it sounded like they spent the off season preparing to play as a middle. That looked promising in the first trial and then he got injured. When he came back the team needed an edge forward and he went back there. However, it hasn't worked as well as last year.

That could be he's not as mobile. Or it could be the players around him. Johnson last year would just dump the ball off to him to set up the next play. Or he'd be involved in the shape and would help create space as the opposition need to account for defending this big unit coming through.

They need to review the balance of the squad and where they want him to play. If they have too many middles they may need to get rid of some or try and convert some or recruit another edge forward.

Ford I don't mind out on an edge. The main work on would be his handling and his line running. I'd be keen to have him as a 13. Get him to model his game after Luck doing the clean up work in the middle. Or Bradley Clyde and get him running back to take early tackles so it's not just the outside backs. I know the theme is for ball players at 13 but due to the last 15 years of playing a prop there there isn't a lot of natural ball players. I don't think having less ball playing until Walker comes on after 20 minutes is an issue.
Ford is enthusiastic and seems to have a decent motor. It just looks to me like he gets in the way in the edge. I thought him as starting prop went ok enough. But the more I look at it the more I think he is just depth moving forward.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I would be really interested to see error stats
Bunty v Ford
Fords is 0.6/game, Buntys is 0.1/game.
However, Ford has played 58.6 mins per game against Buntys 37.1 mins per game. I'd still say Ford has more of an error in him than Bunty sure, but Bunty provides little on both sides of the ball.

Fords is 0.6/game, Buntys is 0.1/game.
However, Ford has played 58.6 mins per game against Buntys 37.1 mins per game. I'd still say Ford has more of an error in him than Bunty sure, but Bunty provides little on both sides of the ball.
Yeah be nice to see all stats player v player Ford v Bunty

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Back