Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Warriors let another one slip through.

Nephew of inaugural Warrior signs on with Bulldogs. He has signed his first NRL deal.​

The Canterbury Bulldogs have landed the signature of prodigious young New Zealand talent Roy Tatupu.

Rated as one of the best round all-round sportsmen in New Zealand, Tatupu is the nephew of former New Zealand and Western Samoa international representative Tony Tatupu.

Roy, who stands at 190 centimetres and weighs 94 kilograms, has been named in New Zealand's open men's volleyball squad for 2024, as well as showing promise in rugby union where he has been part of the Blues rugby academy in Auckland.

According to his management Ginnen Group Sports, he has also played representative softball for New Zealand, while he also took out the top sportsman at his school Mt Albert Grammar in 2023 and was named the best overall sports person of the year at the College Spot Auckland awards.

He has decided a career in rugby league is where he wants to go though, with Wide World of Sports reporting he has signed a two-year deal with the Bulldogs, where he has already started training.

Bulldogs director of football Phil Gould told the publication he is already impressing.

"Roy is going OK in the week or so he has been here - he has shown some really good signs at training," Gould said.

It's unclear at this stage exactly what his contract is with the Bulldogs, but given his age, it's likely he will be on a pathways deal with possible progression to a development deal in 2025.
Is he the son of Shem (Auckland RU and Wigan)?

Warriors let another one slip through.

Nephew of inaugural Warrior signs on with Bulldogs. He has signed his first NRL deal.​

The Canterbury Bulldogs have landed the signature of prodigious young New Zealand talent Roy Tatupu.

Rated as one of the best round all-round sportsmen in New Zealand, Tatupu is the nephew of former New Zealand and Western Samoa international representative Tony Tatupu.

Roy, who stands at 190 centimetres and weighs 94 kilograms, has been named in New Zealand's open men's volleyball squad for 2024, as well as showing promise in rugby union where he has been part of the Blues rugby academy in Auckland.

According to his management Ginnen Group Sports, he has also played representative softball for New Zealand, while he also took out the top sportsman at his school Mt Albert Grammar in 2023 and was named the best overall sports person of the year at the College Spot Auckland awards.

He has decided a career in rugby league is where he wants to go though, with Wide World of Sports reporting he has signed a two-year deal with the Bulldogs, where he has already started training.

Bulldogs director of football Phil Gould told the publication he is already impressing.

"Roy is going OK in the week or so he has been here - he has shown some really good signs at training," Gould said.

It's unclear at this stage exactly what his contract is with the Bulldogs, but given his age, it's likely he will be on a pathways deal with possible progression to a development deal in 2025.
Can't have them all, just hope the ones the warriors do have come good.

I feel under Webster, he can turn anyone into a decent footballer.

Question - are we signing anyone else this season or are we all in with 28 players? Looks to me like we are done unless mid season signing?

Sorry mate, the recruitment thread isn't for recruitment discussion, didn't you get the memo?? 😉 /s

We did go all the way to the deadline with 28 last year, so wouldn't be surprised if this is it and we just an upgrade for a couple of guys like Leka Halamisa mid-year

Question - are we signing anyone else this season or are we all in with 28 players? Looks to me like we are done unless mid season signing?
Webby has said they will only sign players who fit the squad and are what they are looking for, they won't sign players just to fill spots so will be a wait and see to whether someone who fits the team comes up or someone in the development/wider squad earns a spot in the 30. Need to have 29 players signed by first Monday in March.

I think so too. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve said to BHU, show us what you’ve got throughout the season and whether him or not, we get someone for 2025. I think we’ll get an experienced player for 2025 but I think Webster will give the likes of Ale, Zyon Maiu’u, Sifakula to show they can pick up some of the slack that AFB’s departure is going to leave. Interesting seeing the cowboys forum and a rumour of the dragons having either Finefeuiaki or Luki for 2025. Thought we might have gone after one of these guys with our love of second rowers and looked at a middle role for them. Dragons have offered Finefeuiaki $600k a season apparently so that could be a bit rich for potential. Looks the goods though.

Kia ora whanau, please note, FYI, due to eye sight problems, it's not worth it for me to go to a live game, can't see worth a dam, so instead of buying any tickets online through warriors website, I've just signed up for the fan pass to support my beautiful team, anyway long story short, and I realise this isn't the forum thread to post it, but thought someone might want to do it... when I purchased the fanpass for 2024 (2023 cost $25) cost now $35, but lo and behold this came with a $50 credit???, which I promptly spent on a warriors cap and keyring - cost $48.50 which is now being posted to me as I type. so not sure how this came about??? totally blessed!!!!

Kia ora whanau, please note, FYI, due to eye sight problems, it's not worth it for me to go to a live game, can't see worth a dam, so instead of buying any tickets online through warriors website, I've just signed up for the fan pass to support my beautiful team, anyway long story short, and I realise this isn't the forum thread to post it, but thought someone might want to do it... when I purchased the fanpass for 2024 (2023 cost $25) cost now $35, but lo and behold this came with a $50 credit???, which I promptly spent on a warriors cap and keyring - cost $48.50 which is now being posted to me as I type. so not sure how this came about??? totally blessed!!!!
Yep spot on. There's a new membership merch program that we have this year. A few other NRL teams use the same system.

Even the cheapo memberships get a $50 credit 😁

Where did you find this info? Looks like Fox Sport Labs have cleared their figures from 2023 already
The Rugby League Eye Test website, unfortunately I can’t see where they break down data by specific error type. However Matt Feagai the worst negative contribution of any player since 2014!! Also when you look at the positive contribution and read the analysis it underlines how hard done by SJ was to miss out on the Dally M.

I think so too. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve said to BHU, show us what you’ve got throughout the season and whether him or not, we get someone for 2025. I think we’ll get an experienced player for 2025 but I think Webster will give the likes of Ale, Zyon Maiu’u, Sifakula to show they can pick up some of the slack that AFB’s departure is going to leave. Interesting seeing the cowboys forum and a rumour of the dragons having either Finefeuiaki or Luki for 2025. Thought we might have gone after one of these guys with our love of second rowers and looked at a middle role for them. Dragons have offered Finefeuiaki $600k a season apparently so that could be a bit rich for potential. Looks the goods though.

I think that Webster is looking to sign players that will add to the roster, not just to fill the roster. I agree with him. Looking at the squad the areas that have raised concern is 6 and Prop. You. Can argue about the quality but not the quantity. Remember we originally picked up AFB out of the by having a spot ready for him. Why sign an average Prop. You have to wonder why they are available.

The Rugby League Eye Test website, unfortunately I can’t see where they break down data by specific error type. However Matt Feagai the worst negative contribution of any player since 2014!! Also when you look at the positive contribution and read the analysis it underlines how hard done by SJ was to miss out on the Dally M.

Good site with good stats, cheers. The stats around Feagai as you’ve mentioned are interesting, he certainly sits where you say he sits on those lists but gives me the impression of giving a player with promise some time with the site saying how did he play in 24 games. My reasoning for saying that is Paul Alamoti sits 1 place higher than him from his 14 games, not that Alamoti is the greatest prospect but if an astute team like the panthers see something in him alongside what he’s shown in glimpses, I’d back that. Also the list since 2014 that he appears on also has a couple of players like our own Marcelo Montoya and Herbie Farnsworth, so it shows that it’s by no means all over for Feagai. Interesting also some of the stats further down that the likes of Ford factor for being penalised frequently.

I think that Webster is looking to sign players that will add to the roster, not just to fill the roster. I agree with him. Looking at the squad the areas that have raised concern is 6 and Prop. You. Can argue about the quality but not the quantity. Remember we originally picked up AFB out of the by having a spot ready for him. Why sign an average Prop. You have to wonder why they are available.
Very true and as much as I wanted a prop signing this off season, I would rather wait for the right one.
It's almost become an honor to be signed by the warriors rather than an afterthought.
It's quite amazing webster has managed to get short term results while looking towards the future.

Don’t see much concern around 6, just options. More concern from me regarding backup 7. I mentioned the club might reach out to BHU to say we’re having a look at you, and I think round 1 against the sharks should provide an answer. I’d probably agree BHU has had a couple of average seasons hindered by injuries also but I don’t see him as an average prop when he’s hitting his stride. I personally see him as a good option to replace AFB with how hard both look to be to be brought down close to the line. Webster brought out AFB’s career best form, I don’t see why he can’t bring out BHU’s career best form too.

Don’t see much concern around 6, just options. More concern from me regarding backup 7. I mentioned the club might reach out to BHU to say we’re having a look at you, and I think round 1 against the sharks should provide an answer. I’d probably agree BHU has had a couple of average seasons hindered by injuries also but I don’t see him as an average prop when he’s hitting his stride. I personally see him as a good option to replace AFB with how hard both look to be to be brought down close to the line. Webster brought out AFB’s career best form, I don’t see why he can’t bring out BHU’s career best form too.
Fark, couldnt they tell him in round 2? Lol last thing we need is people trying to prove themselves against us. FFS

Capture.JPG
The deal is reportedly set to be worth 2.2 million. The sharks have also offered him a deal to remain at the shire.

Last edited: