• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
Great post. Especially the point about where he’s coming from. Many a man have come from a great team and culture only to fall in line with the low standards that is the Warriors.

I wish JFH all the best. Agree he can’t be doing long minutes week in week out. He will burn out.

Top 5 Burnout candidates
Ford. Gone.
Harris. Gone.
SJ. Gone.
Egan. Gone.
Capewell. Half busted.

It’s testament to AFB’s work ethic that he’s not slacked off with “injuries” maintaining his high standards on the field and off it. What role model qualities will JFH bring that AFB didn’t have ??….. AFB might be pulling lip now, who’s to say JFH won’t do the same when we start losing????

And let’s not forget Barnett and what he already brings to the table
Absolutely agree, Tohu Harris came from a system that had dominated the NRL for 15 odd years before he came here. Capewell had a history of success throughout his career with 3 clubs. RTS came from the a very successful Roosters outfit. What else is there to “ingrain” into a player group? What can JFH seriously teach the lads that AFB or Barnett can’t?

“Oh, I’m going to do XYZ, because Fish said so”……….lol
What………?
How is it different to Barnett and AFB?

Speaking of Barnett and players burning out. Am I the only one that thinks Barnett might be hanging on by a thread? It was just a 5 day turnaround mind you. Selfishly, I hope Barnett isn’t anywhere near the Australia squad.

With all that being said however, I can’t see how a pack of.
8. JFH
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Capewell
12. Niukore (no kiwis please)
13. Harris (hopefully well rested)

I don’t see how that pack doesn’t dominate. Maybe a little slow but so are our backs lol.
Webby definitely needs to use his bench better though.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Like the pundit said our pack is elite, we’ve been dominating territory and possession all season, just sucked at clutch moments, clutch kicker, and a crap red zone D. Our red zone attack go from dud to elite with TMM at 7.

Metcalf won’t be 7 if he played like 25% of the games over the last 2 years, he can do the long kicking and goal kicking from 6 and look to move to 7 in the next 2-3 years, if he plays more than 25% of the games. He will be a bust if fans treat him like a savior out of desperation lol

Taine can help out with kicking etc from the back and I want Charnz at 13 with uncertainty of Walker and Tohu, Roger and DWZ can back up FB. Webby might stick with Charnz at 1 so I hope Taine gets that 14 jersey.

We have like a million+ cap so not sure where to spend it, a super defense coach? 🤣

Absolutely agree, Tohu Harris came from a system that had dominated the NRL for 15 odd years before he came here. Capewell had a history of success throughout his career with 3 clubs. RTS came from the a very successful Roosters outfit. What else is there to “ingrain” into a player group? What can JFH seriously teach the lads that AFB or Barnett can’t?

“Oh, I’m going to do XYZ, because Fish said so”……….lol
What………?
How is it different to Barnett and AFB?

Speaking of Barnett and players burning out. Am I the only one that thinks Barnett might be hanging on by a thread? It was just a 5 day turnaround mind you. Selfishly, I hope Barnett isn’t anywhere near the Australia squad.

With all that being said however, I can’t see how a pack of.
8. JFH
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Capewell
12. Niukore (no kiwis please)
13. Harris (hopefully well rested)

I don’t see how that pack gets dominated. Maybe a little slow but so are our backs lol.
Webby definitely needs to use his bench better though.
It’s weird though isn’t it.

There was always a narrative that it all starts up front. That our backs were never to blame for our poor performance because our forwards were weak and could not dominate.
Well they’ve put in the hard work all season to get us in a positions to score and again our backline are failing to execute at the final hurdle.

AFB has every reason to get shitty at his team makes letting him down. It what you want from your alpha. Hugs and kisses and pats on the arse saying everything gonna be alright can be left at home for the wife.

What’s JFH gonna do when we start losing? I would expect him to get pissed off. Despite his pissy attitude AFB still shows up like the professional he is and is not responsible for the stupid mistakes, missed tackles and drop balls constantly plaguing this team

JFH is not a big body.
Guarantee you he’ll get busted if Webby overplays him. It’s a miracle Barnett has been going ok but he had a loooong stint on the side lines last season.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
IMG_6470.jpeg
This post gives me huge hope for the future. What Penrith have done took 6 years. People made a mockery of Phil goulds 5 year plan, now look at them. They’ve got the best junior pathways in the competition, if not ever. The bulldogs are only going well because they’ve benefited from an external pathway program, the panthers. Kikau, Burton, Crichton, and their head coach. The dogs would still be cellar dwellers without the Penrith system.

That top post has seven future starters, all under the age of 22. Whilst some are not quite NRL ready right now, give them a year or 2, and look out. Our nsw cup side are sitting 4th, with all the chopping and changing going on at first grade due to a variety of reasons. Many of these players are jersey flegg eligible yet are playing against men.

We all want instant success, but this is only due to the lack of success we’ve experienced the last decade. We’ve tried to recruit our way to premierships, this has been short lived. Our seasons have yo-yo’d from top 8 to bottom 8, almost every year. The head coach is locked in for the next 5 years+, we have a full developmental system aligned with other major clubs. Our 17s are the reigning champions, and the above players are on the path to future NRL players.

Unfortunately we will need to wait a few more years to see success at the top grade imo, whilst our pathways are set up to provide long term consistency.

The reality is, what we’ve been doing hasn’t been working. we now have the model for success, however we now just need to wait for these future first graders to develop.

This might seem like another ‘just be patient’ post, but when you actually stop and reflect on the organisational changes the club is making, you can start to see the plan they’re deploying & the future is extremely bright for the warriors

View attachment 8648Warriors trying to sign Shaun Stevenson from the Chiefs. Read the last little bit of this article. I don’t know where it’s from

Interesting to see and a recognition we are lacking speed. Bennett was reportedly keen on Stevenson at the dolphins at one point. Contracted until 2025 with NZ rugby, this article says he’d address league and offers if he couldn’t hold down an All Black spot. Could be some negotiating

Last edited:
What is this team missing?
1. Adequate cover, maybe rankings are off.
2/5 missing a speedster, can possibility exist in Cup and grades?
4/3, when fit stocks are good
6/7 losing SJ as a generational player bihgest issue is licking, both goal and field. Goal kicking is not solely a Halfs duty.
8/9/10. Definitely a strong point.
11/12 next year will have to learn to trust and back our young guys
13. I want an experienced guy there. Harris, Capewell, Walker, it may also be Ale's best spot but needs to be a distributer. The CNK suggestion has merit imo.

What does Webby and the Club and players see our playing style to be. Until they have that tecruitment and retention is muddle headed at best.

Personally I think they are not far away but some clear thinking and accountability at all levels need to be there.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
View attachment 8649
This post gives me huge hope for the future. What Penrith have done took 6 years. People made a mockery of Phil goulds 5 year plan, now look at them. They’ve got the best junior pathways in the competition, if not ever. The bulldogs are only going well because they’ve benefited from an external pathway program, the panthers. Kikau, Burton, Crichton, and their head coach. The dogs would still be cellar dwellers without the Penrith system.

That top post has seven future starters, all under the age of 22. Whilst some are not quite NRL ready right now, give them a year or 2, and look out. Our nsw cup side are sitting 4th, with all the chopping and changing going on at first grade due to a variety of reasons. Many of these players are jersey flegg eligible yet are playing against men.

We all want instant success, but this is only due to the lack of success we’ve experienced the last decade. We’ve tried to recruit our way to premierships, this has been short lived. Our seasons have yo-yo’d from top 8 to bottom 8, almost every year. The head coach is locked in for the next 5 years+, we have a full developmental system aligned with other major clubs. Our 17s are the reigning champions, and the above players are on the path to future NRL players.

Unfortunately we will need to wait a few more years to see success at the top grade imo, whilst our pathways are set up to provide long term consistency.

The reality is, what we’ve been doing hasn’t been working. we now have the model for success, however we now just need to wait for these future first graders to develop.

This might seem like another ‘just be patient’ post, but when you actually stop and reflect on the organisational changes the club is making, you can start to see the plan they’re deploying & the future is extremely bright for the warriors
Fantastic post and absolutely bang on. As disappointed as I am with this season especially after last years season I am still well and truly on board knowing the foundations are in place and it is now a matter of time.

Fantastic post and absolutely bang on. As disappointed as I am with this season especially after last years season I am still well and truly on board knowing the foundations are in place and it is now a matter of time.
I've not posted for a long time on hear. But it's not all negatives about the Warriors.

It's the fine margin games have costs and unprecedented amount of injuries for sustained period of time to key players in key positions.

Webster I have faith in. The only thing lacking is a winger with pace to burn and maybe next year some ageing forwards.

But there is depth coming through. Hopefully with Jazz leaving and Johnson it gives the club the ability to sign further competition for spots.

What’s the go with players signed from union not having any effect on the salary cap? It would seem like a no brainer signing more union players based on that.
Apparently only for union players who have never played league. The likes of Ngani Laumape wouldn’t be eligible

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I hope JFH when he arrives injects some disciplined mongrel into our young props. From what I've seen so far, our young props are good and JFH could be the guy to make them better. AFB great as he is aint won a prem I believe JFH has won 3, so our young fellas have a leg up already..

Eli is an example of what potential realised looks like. Melbourne did that. Not us. Why he was released I don't remember but did we replace him with better?

Pretty sure he asked for an early release to join the Storm… he was not buying into the Warriors culture. Same could be said about Isiah Papalili… potential realised playing for Parra. Gave it 110%. Went back to invisible for the Tigers.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back