• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
Truth is RTS is a poor centre. His defence is poor at centre and it hasn’t worked and I don’t think it will work. Back to full back, the problem with that is that he doesn’t pass and set up people as much as CNK we he injects himself from the back. The RTS experiment has really not worked and now we get lots of metres but reduced ball playing from the back. CNK in 2023 gave some crucial under pressure passes and was very good. That’s why Webby wanted him at 1. To be fair it would be better to let RTS go to Japanese rugby and we use the $750k to strengthen an area that is needed, like speed or a genuine strike centre or another spot.

"Truth is RTS is a poor centre. His defence is poor at centre and it hasn't worked and I don't think it will work"

Hell of a statement to make about a bloke that has returned to the game in a new position, of which he has played no more than 3/4 consecutive games at a time, with a revolving door of 2nd rowers, halves and wingers around him, in a season where so little has worked for the whole team.

A quick look at the team lists and games this year, by my rough count, RTS has started:
  • 13 at centre
  • 2 at fullback
  • 2 on the left wing
  • 1 on the right wing
And of his 13 games at centre (of which he has bounced between both the left and right side of the field):
  • Twice moved to fullback after 40ish minutes
  • Once moved to fullback after 8 minutes
  • Once leaving the filed injured/HIA after 40ish minutes
  • Leaving only 9 games where he has played the full 80 at centre (in blocks of only 3-4 games at a time)

I admit that I love the idea of RTS at centre - he's an elite player, and at his best could trouble defenses both with and without the ball. Is there enough to suggest he is our best centre option, or can become an elite centre? Or is his best position elsewhere? I don't know, but to write him off as a "poor centre", and the much quoted "failed experiment" after a handful of games on each side of the field, in a side that just has not delivered this year?? Seems overly harsh to me.

NZWarriors.com
If the numbers are to be believed, 800k+ for a guy comming back from rugby to play a position he's never played before in league would have to be up there as one of the worst recruitment decisions in the clubs history.
Let's be honest. Surely he's not on 800k it's not like he was setting the world on fire in rugby. I would like to know where this 800k figure came from?

And yes that would be a stupid recruiting decision, but believe it or not, I think year two and possibly three could be where the value is?

100%

He’s just in the wrong team and system.

Would absolutely kill it at FB for the right team.

Our recruitment needs a massive spotlight on it now. He was never a good fit for us.
Does that matter a great deal? That fact we got him is good no? I think his value is in being the everywhere guy for now. Good to know he's in the pocket for a few positions. Although that didn't fare well this year.

Does that matter a great deal? That fact we got him is good no? I think his value is in being the everywhere guy for now. Good to know he's in the pocket for a few positions. Although that didn't fare well this year.

For 800k though?

He’s a no where man more than an everywhere man at the moment. Especially when you look at the positions he’s covering. We already have depth there.

RTS was my favourite player before he left. Breaks my heart seeing him being mid this year. But all considered he was surplus to requirement and not sure if he made the squad better or worse. Going by results it’s hard to argue that he’s any better than Pompey, Leitua, Berry or MgT.

At fullback 100% he’s a beast. If given a full season (now essentially 2) under Webster he could have learnt to pass and be a better link player but Webspud fucked him by guranteeing that spot to CNK.

RTS is a amazing player - but only at fullback.

He’s not a dud singing (sorry if I have that impression) he’s been fucked from pillar to post by Webspud in our team.

Deserves better.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
RTS at wing and Monty relegate to depth or release is the way to go for the next 2 seasons, like others said the kid wingers can gradually take over his spot in 2026/2027

Roger is the only back that can step 2+ defenders in a row a game and/or smashing through defenders from 6-7m out for tries, I don't see any of our backs doing that regularly, not even Charnz. Ali did it once then he dropped the ball over the line lol. The other time when we made individual long range line breaks this year I remember were Monty stepping away once, Halasima vs Dogs, and Roger vs Storm R2. He can be the regular left wing/in game utility, and if we have Taine as 1 or 14 then we don't need CHT on the bench to cover the halves

For all the talks about our slow backs, we were scoring tries for fun when TMM was playing at 7, most of the time, I don't think we got blown off the park when he was playing especially without SJ?

I think the main thing is still our defense system, you concede 1-2 tries less per game with that pack & TMM at 7 you win most games and can get away without a field goal kicker, and we can look at if Metcalf or Taine can take that clutch point kicker spot to take it to the next level

For 800k though?

He’s a no where man more than an everywhere man at the moment. Especially when you look at the positions he’s covering. We already have depth there.

RTS was my favourite player before he left. Breaks my heart seeing him being mid this year. But all considered he was surplus to requirement and not sure if he made the squad better or worse. Going by results it’s hard to argue that he’s any better than Pompey, Leitua, Berry or MgT.

At fullback 100% he’s a beast. If given a full season (now essentially 2) under Webster he could have learnt to pass and be a better link player but Webspud fucked him by guranteeing that spot to CNK.

RTS is a amazing player - but only at fullback.

He’s not a dud singing (sorry if I have that impression) he’s been fucked from pillar to post by Webspud in our team.

Deserves better.
It's so hard to gauge when almost everyone has gone backwards this season.

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
"Truth is RTS is a poor centre. His defence is poor at centre and it hasn't worked and I don't think it will work"

Hell of a statement to make about a bloke that has returned to the game in a new position, of which he has played no more than 3/4 consecutive games at a time, with a revolving door of 2nd rowers, halves and wingers around him, in a season where so little has worked for the whole team.

A quick look at the team lists and games this year, by my rough count, RTS has started:
  • 13 at centre
  • 2 at fullback
  • 2 on the left wing
  • 1 on the right wing
And of his 13 games at centre (of which he has bounced between both the left and right side of the field):
  • Leaving only 9 games where he has played the full 80 at centre (in blocks of only 3-4 games at a time)

I admit that I love the idea of RTS at centre - he's an elite player, and at his best could trouble defenses both with and without the ball. Is there enough to suggest he is our best centre option, or can become an elite centre? Or is his best position elsewhere? I don't know, but to write him off as a "poor centre", and the much quoted "failed experiment" after a handful of games on each side of the field, in a side that just has not delivered this year?? Seems overly harsh to me.

I accept that I could be wrong in the area of whether he could become a good centre. I highly doubt it though, he has lost his explosiveness. So while I accept that it is in the realms of possibility that he could improve at centre, I don’t believe it will happen. In regards to being a poor centre. That’s exactly what I saw this year. If you honestly believe he wasn’t poor when playing at centre this year then we have different standards. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, imagining the possibilities of him breaking ankles, and slicing or powering over but it rarely came. There was little chemistry, little opportunities. I started to try and be unbiased and questioned whether we were better with Pompey and Ali L as our centres and believe we probably are. I love the bloke, he was the heart of the team. I don’t mean to disrespect him as he is one of our very best, one of the great Warriors and Kiwis, but I just believe this year he has had poor defence and has been a shadow of himself in that position.

I see Cowboys have let Kyle Feldt go.
Champion winger.
Are we too scared to let anyone go.
Half our team is worse in their said position than Kyle is as a winger.
Just do it, it needs to be done.
eg to me are RTS, Kosi, Montoya, and maybe DWZ.
Mulitalo would be cheap and better than any of them, Past his best but good for a year

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
I see Cowboys have let Kyle Feldt go.
Champion winger.
Are we too scared to let anyone go.
Half our team is worse in their said position than Kyle is as a winger.
Just do it, it needs to be done.
eg to me are RTS, Kosi, Montoya, and maybe DWZ.
Let go as in didn’t re-sign him. He is 33 at the start of next season so is heading to St Helens for some OE.
Much easier to execute than trying to shift on guys already on your roster

Let go as in didn’t re-sign him. He is 33 at the start of next season so is heading to St Helens for some OE.
Much easier to execute than trying to shift on guys already on your roster
Didnt resign, same as let go.
Today nothing is too hard to do, in the roster or not.

• 13 at centre
  • 2 at fullback
  • 2 on the left wing
  • 1 on the right wing

Preach !

Didnt resign, same as let go.
Today nothing is too hard to do, in the roster or not.
Moving a guy under contract on is far from easy. Look at RCG and Saifiti at the moment. That’s guys who are attracting some interest, let alone guys like Matterson or Sivo.

For instance if you were trying to move DWZ on and a club asked you to chip in $250k, you then have to replace him in your squad with another player. Even a minimum wage player would then end up costing you $400k a year ($250k you are chipping in plus $150k for the replacement). It can impact your salary cap in a big way

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Moving a guy under contract on is far from easy. Look at RCG and Saifiti at the moment. That’s guys who are attracting some interest, let alone guys like Matterson or Sivo.

For instance if you were trying to move DWZ on and a club asked you to chip in $250k, you then have to replace him in your squad with another player. Even a minimum wage player would then end up costing you $400k a year ($250k you are chipping in plus $150k for the replacement). It can impact your salary cap in a big way

So clubs fault for signing a has been on a multi year contract.
Absolute bull shit

Reactions: kos
Boys a few things to note

- last year's success was out the blue and sj had a dally m year after the entire fan base wanted him gone in first few rounds / pre season games

- just as sj flicked a switch on and off for a season rts can do the same and is a noted work horse and effort man has every chance being one of the form centers or any position he gets put in also have some very good young center options that will have another pre season under the belt

- contracts and signings can happen in an instant and out of the blue just because no good options are " available " dosent mean that cappy isn't working some magic behind the scenes we could land Hughes as soon as storms campaign is over for all we know whoever I very much doubt it

But moral of the story is it's not always as dire as it seems there's plenty of news to come yet !! And we could run out the same team next year and have a totally different result this shit is ever changing.

Interesting having a read around this morning and seeing that a big part of the drive at the knights is to re sign Leo Thompson and this guy Sebastian Su’a who are both off contract in 2025. Was apart of our system at one point a few years ago, the son of ex NZ cricketer Murphy Su’a. Had his debut on the weekend but progressing fast, and big. Keen to keep an eye on what’s going on with Saifiti because if they’re having to pay too much to shift him on, they could cut their losses and hold onto Saifiti and release Thompson? They are in need of a good halve too so money to be spent in other areas too for the knights

Could someone fill me in on what's happening with Saifiti and Leo? So Barney's trying to get him over and suddenly Leo wants to leave despite them moving their chess board to keep him?

We could get both and tell Tohu to retire lol, Walker/Jazz/Afoa gone anyway

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back