• During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.

Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
-​
Player​
2024​
2025​
2026​
2027​
2028​
1Bunty Afoa
2Tom Ale
3Mitchell Barnett
4The Greatest of All-Time
5Kurt Capewell
6Wayde Egan
7Addin Fonua-Blake
8Jackson Ford
9Leka Halasima
10Tohu Harris
11Chanel Harris-TavitaM
12Shaun Johnson
13Edward Kosi
14Jacob Laban
15Ali Leiataua
16Freddy Lussick
17Zyon Maiu’u
18Te Maire Martin
19Luke Metcalf
20Marcelo Montoya
21Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
22Marata Niukore
23Adam Pompey
24Demitric SifakulaC
25Jazz Tevaga
26Taine Tuaupiki
27Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
28Dylan Walker
29Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
D1Ben FarrD
D2Etuane FukofukaD
D3Patrick MoimoiD
D4Tanner Stowers-SmithDD
-Jett Cleary-DDD
-James Fisher-Harris-
-Kalani Going-D
-Motu Pasikala-
key: C = Club option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 29/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 4/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 4/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers Pathways), Kahu Capper (Roosters Pathways)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Contract Expired), Shaun Johnson (Retirement)
2025 Off Contract: Nil

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Luke Hanson looks like a good one for the future, those quoting Ben Farr watch Farrk all NSW Cup. Hanson was captain in Panthers GF Flegg or Ball team last season that lost to Parra. He has a better kicking game than all our 1st grade halves. Just needs to fill out a bit more and get reps in on D.

Taine also possesses a more than decent kicking game and would be my lock for the no.1 in 2025. CNK centre or bench player, could play on the edges and converted into a back rower. Think Capewell, Aitken etc.

Thought it would have been interesting had the rumours around Dylan Walker wanting a release to head back to Aussie. He was brought here as an impact player from the bench on good money at $700k a season, and proved to be worth that salary. When you talk about impact, there’s not many more damaging than NAS on his day, though that can be few and far between these days. With his salary at $900k a season, if the storm were to chip in $150-$200k of that salary then that would put it at a similar figure of what Walker was brought here initially as a player from the bench. Of course Walker is worth the figure more on the positions he can fill, but NAS in the right frame of mind could be big impact. Played fairly substantial minutes in the weekend and though the game is passing players like him by with the speed it’s being played, there’s still a place for the type of big body
I just think of NAS as a grub who is above average but lifts against the warriors. Not worth anywhere near 900k imho. I wouldn't even be happy with us paying 700k for him.

Luke Hanson looks like a good one for the future, those quoting Ben Farr watch Farrk all NSW Cup. Hanson was captain in Panthers GF Flegg or Ball team last season that lost to Parra. He has a better kicking game than all our 1st grade halves.
Disagree with your last sentence, I watch a lot of Cup and some of his last tackle options have been questionable and long kicking game still leaves a lot to be desired.

Still very young so hopefully that improves.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Martin will be the Halfback next year. Metcalf/CHT to battle it out for the 6 position. Hanson for depth. Long term Brown will be the target in the half’s.
Who would be the halfback in 2026 if they managed to get Dylan Brown do you reckon? Him, Metcalf or CHT? All play at five eighth currently

I just think of NAS as a grub who is above average but lifts against the warriors. Not worth anywhere near 900k imho. I wouldn't even be happy with us paying 700k for him.
That’s fair. Many would have been underwhelmed with the Walker signing at $700k a season initially too though, and that turned out the club were well on the money with the signing. Would be a risk and the recruitment team would need to know that people like ex teammate Tohu Harris and Kiwis leaders like JFH and RTS could keep him disciplined? You could be right and not worth the drama

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account
Brown will play 6. Martin 7. Metcalf is injury prone & CHT is a backup utility.
Really hope Metcalf can have some luck and make a go of the opportunity. I’m worried if we go into the season with a shootout like the past for a halves pairing that saw CHT and Adam Keighran one year and CHT and Nikorima another as you’re initial post mentioned of a Metcalf and CHT battle for five eighth to go with TMM. Really hoping that SJ being comfortable enough to step aside means there’s something in the pipeline?

Really hoping that SJ being comfortable enough to step aside means there’s something in the pipeline?
in his interview didnt he say Luke Metcalf? Or was that for the clutch moments. IMO the 3 halves we have in first grade are all 5/8s.

Metcalf - runner. great support play. unsure if he can control a team. can kick. can goal kick. defence a worry.
TMM - shuffler. has no long pass. cant kick. good runner with the ball and able to create gaps for runners to run through. good defence. anyone paired with him would have to do the bulk of the kicking, creating an easy target for defence to swarm that player. his kicks are so bad that it bamboozles the opposition that the kick is actuallyfrom a first grade player. Often goes missing.
CHT - good defence. alright kicker. is potentially a good foil for a very dominant halfback (similar to Metcalf). can goalkick (most of the time). Ideally a utility and not first grade half.

3 spots left for 2025. Surely they will go for someone who can control a team as right now we dont have a viable option at halfback.

in his interview didnt he say Luke Metcalf? Or was that for the clutch moments. IMO the 3 halves we have in first grade are all 5/8s.

Metcalf - runner. great support play. unsure if he can control a team. can kick. can goal kick. defence a worry.
TMM - shuffler. has no long pass. cant kick. good runner with the ball and able to create gaps for runners to run through. good defence. anyone paired with him would have to do the bulk of the kicking, creating an easy target for defence to swarm that player. his kicks are so bad that it bamboozles the opposition that the kick is from a first grade player. Often goes missing.
CHT - good defence. alright kicker. is potentially a good foil for a very dominant halfback (similar to Metcalf). can goalkick (most of the time). Ideally a utility and not first grade half.

3 spots left for 2025. Surely they will go for someone who can control a team as right now we dont have a viable option at halfback.
I don’t know where to post this.
Hilarious
Zero tackle reports Casey Badger banned from the bunker
Her husband has been working with S Syd

Couldn’t find a threat to fit this news

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

TMM - shuffler. has no long pass. cant kick. good runner with the ball and able to create gaps for runners to run through. good defence. anyone paired with him would have to do the bulk of the kicking, creating an easy target for defence to swarm that player. his kicks are so bad that it bamboozles the opposition that the kick is actuallyfrom a first grade player. Often goes missing.

With Hansen and Jett Cleary a halves pairing in the past, is there a hope these two are the succession plan? Still looking to need more time, but plenty of teams using young halves and trusting them? Could the club be willing to give these guys the keys behind a strong pack? Still a bit of filling out to do between them too, especially Cleary. Will be interesting to see what the club does regarding TMM. Playing in nsw cup and can be negotiated with in November. Plenty of clubs have mentioned him and don’t think he’ll lack offers

With Hansen and Jett Cleary a halves pairing in the past, is there a hope these two are the succession plan? Still looking to need more time, but plenty of teams using young halves and trusting them? Could the club be willing to give these guys the keys behind a strong pack? Still a bit of filling out to do between them too, especially Cleary. Will be interesting to see what the club does regarding TMM. Playing in nsw cup and can be negotiated with in November. Plenty of clubs have mentioned him and don’t think he’ll lack offers
I think people are being a little harsh on TMM. Thrown in at 7 mid season, did exceedingly well and delivered results, team seemed calmer and more together. I don't think we are signing anyone else of note, Dylan Brown keeps getting mentioned but has said he is staying at the Eels. Maybe there might be a back up half in the pipeline, maybe. I think the more likely reality, unless Cam And Cappy can pull a great half out of the air, is that what we have now is what we are going to have next year. I would like to see the remainder of this year with TMM and Metcalf at 7 and 6 in cup including some finals games, a preseason of reps and training, and AW showing some flexibility and adapting the game plan to the players we have. Fine if people want to write one or all of those players off but I'm not. It's like those people think we have just come off a great season and we are now breaking it. The same people wanted SJ back despite what he has delivered this year to date. Honestly, it just seems so weird to me - especially as it's quite likely we lose every remaining game this season with him at 7. Yes, a TMM and Metcalf combo has faults. They aren't insurmountable ones though, as we have seen from TMM this year and they bring some really good strong points with their games also. People saying we are fucked now with no SJ. Same stuff I have heard previously about who is going to do the tackles now Luck is gone, or Friend. Who is going to score the tries now Manu is gone, then it was Fus, now it's DWZ. Too many get fixated on a player. With all of these greats we still haven't won a single thing. And after they left, others stepped up, or the team adapted or the load got shared more evenly or whatever. I could get onboard with these thoughts and comments IF we had come off a stellar season this year. We haven't. The team has actually performed better this season with TMM at 7 by quite a margin than with the guy who is retiring. That's not a slight on SJ either. He has had an amazing career, but he will potentially finish this year with 3 wins and a draw with him at 7.

I actually can't wait for this season to be over. I want to see what AW learns from it and implements for next year. I'm genuinely excited to see a new halves combo, hopefully TMM and Metcalf but let's see what develops. I'm excited to see if we win a Cup title this year, the confidence that brings to the youth we have and if AW will integrate some of these young guys more in to the top team. I'm excited to see how the squad develops and what game plan AW comes up with - our play this year for large parts have been very predictable and robotic. Some seem to want more of the same, or are trolling. Each to their own I guess.

Last edited:
NZWarriors.com
Advertisement

Really interesting listen here past about 36 minutes. Blair thinks there will be big positional changes and personnel changes. Mentions a thinking of shifting Tohu away from the middle with Ford moving there? Also mentions of whether there’s a thought of recruiting an experienced half to guide the young guys but says can TMM be that? Really seems to think there will be some movement at the end of the season in the club, would be interesting to know how much inside knowledge Blair has? Right at the end they talk about SJ being involved in pathways for upcoming halves in the club, think this will be valuable with a big signing in Cleary, though nothing is certain that he’ll be what his brother is

Really interesting listen here past about 36 minutes. Blair thinks there will be big positional changes and personnel changes. Mentions a thinking of shifting Tohu away from the middle with Ford moving there? Also mentions of whether there’s a thought of recruiting an experienced half to guide the young guys but says can TMM be that? Really seems to think there will be some movement at the end of the season in the club, would be interesting to know how much inside knowledge Blair has? Right at the end they talk about SJ being involved in pathways for upcoming halves in the club, think this will be valuable with a big signing in Cleary, though nothing is certain that he’ll be what his brother is
If your shifting Tohu away from the middle where on earth are they thinking on playing him.....on a edge? 😳

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back