Gameday 2024 Trial 2 - Warriors vs Dolphins

Metcalf seems to be the preferred 6, he’s there for his x-factor which is speed that you can’t coach, he was improving very well until he pulled his hamy again, hope he stays injury free & we’ll have him, RTS, DWZ etc terrorizing the defense

Marata rumor seems true then? Pompey not starting so Berry’s spot to lose?

Taine to be our FB for the next month, don’t mess with RTS’s rhythm and learning the new position
Makes sense 🤔

Reactions: CWC
Metcalf seems to be the preferred 6, he’s there for his x-factor which is speed that you can’t coach, he was improving very well until he pulled his hamy again, hope he stays injury free & we’ll have him, RTS, DWZ etc terrorizing the defense

Taine to be our FB for the next month, don’t mess with RTS’s rhythm and learning the new position
I think Taine is a quality first grade full
-back, way better than some starters at other clubs.
Webby should be telling him this if he thinks it too.
There is a Brent Webb/Preston Campbell love child skill set about him.

Rizza
Thank you for replying,however I managed to get to (scroll terms of use ) but stalled at the agree button. My frustration level has reached the 'storming Beasley st office' point; not being able to activate Google wallet and 77 years young isn't helping.
Which part are you having difficulty with, installing the wallet or using the membership site?
Send me a direct message if you like and I can see if I can help. https://nzwarriors.com/conversations/add?to=Rizzah

I think Taine is a quality first grade full
-back, way better than some starters at other clubs.
Webby should be telling him this if he thinks it too.
There is a Brent Webb/Preston Campbell love child skill set about him.

Hope he trained hard at connecting with his outside backs that’s really the key thing we missed when CNK was injured. Has some speed too, our backs are pacey this year

He has speed. He is good for backing up a line break - when he doesn't over run the play. I haven't really seen him break the line himself with that speed and I don't see much in the way of elusiveness. And I don't see a lot of urgency in defence when the opposition make a break. His running game is supposed to be his strength though. I hope he has learnt to distribute quickly and effectively and has worked on his defence. We saw last week the potential of RTS and Montoya with CHT giving that.

For me, Metcalf is a bit of a one trick pony and the trick isn't that good IMO. He is a very handy back up 6 (I actually think he is better suited to fullback./wing) but I prefer a 6 that makes his outside men look better and can organize his edge.

I hope he can do that against the dolphins. Otherwise I can see RTS and Montoya getting frustrated as the season goes on, much like Pompey and Montoya did last season.

We need to improve on last season and that left edge % of tries created was lowest in the comp. If we are to take it to the next level and truly compete for the top prize there needs to be more threat coming from the left edge to help balance the team. And with RTS there, the only reason it won't be more of a threat will be because of a lack of good quality, early ball.

He has speed. He is good for backing up a line break - when he doesn't over run the play. I haven't really seen him break the line himself with that speed and I don't see much in the way of elusiveness. And I don't see a lot of urgency in defence when the opposition make a break. His running game is supposed to be his strength though. I hope he has learnt to distribute quickly and effectively and has worked on his defence. We saw last week the potential of RTS and Montoya with CHT giving that.

For me, Metcalf is a bit of a one trick pony and the trick isn't that good IMO. He is a very handy back up 6 (I actually think he is better suited to fullback./wing) but I prefer a 6 that makes his outside men look better and can organize his edge.

I hope he can do that against the dolphins. Otherwise I can see RTS and Montoya getting frustrated as the season goes on, much like Pompey and Montoya did last season.

We need to improve on last season and that left edge % of tries created was lowest in the comp. If we are to take it to the next level and truly compete for the top prize there needs to be more threat coming from the left edge to help balance the team. And with RTS there, the only reason it won't be more of a threat will be because of a lack of good quality, early ball.
he actually reminds me of players like Lolohea and carlos tuimavave. i mean that in a sense of these younger players that have/had huge wraps on them but really dont seem to be transitioning to first grade well. they all apparently had some sort of excellent running game and speed etc. but really lack the smarts and the vision to play in the halves.

he actually reminds me of players like Lolohea and carlos tuimavave. i mean that in a sense of these younger players that have/had huge wraps on them but really dont seem to be transitioning to first grade well. they all apparently had some sort of excellent running game and speed etc. but really lack the smarts and the vision to play in the halves.
Both of those guys are still playing as halves in the ESL

You d have to say they have had long successful careers in rugby league

But not in the Nrl

At least we have TMM and CHT for No.6 if Luke is still running solo this year, hope it provides competition and incentives

Don’t know how Taine will do defensively, some wingers could hurdle over him lol

both of them looked great in lower grades.

I dont watch ESL. is it still considered a tier down from the NRL?

I live in England and just can't get into ESL.

It's a big step down in quality. You see that in NRL outcasts like Bevan French and Brodie Croft who won the Man of Steel the last two years. Sam Tomkins the year before that.

I've got some mates that spent time in Aus and NZ, proper league fans who came back home and openly admit how shit ESL is haha.

Cool, but they are both the same vanilla style player. Capewell less so, but I wasn't over impressed with him last season and feel he regressed more towards how I rate Ford.

I like variety in my edge backrowers, and Niukore brings that with his fierce style of play.

I am not concerned by the boring pairing. We have to open games off a stable platform. Conceding points early is a real problem for the Warriors.

Last year we were more of a second half team, coming home stronger off the better fitness of our players and the deliberate insertion of that point of difference you are talking about after the settling period, Jazz and Walker were particularly good at that, as was Niukore, who will get game time anyway.

Getting into the wrestle is something you hear coaches and experts alike claim the Warriors shirk from. And I agree with that.

Our top four finish last year was based off where we rated in the NRL for defence, not attack.

Like I say, with the career best form Johnson is in, the balance of this pack is fine with two tackling back rowers since we have the best ball playing 13 in the comp and probably the best hooker as well....also AFB on attack is right up there with the best attacking props.

Barnett is aggressive as well, so I really do not see a problem with the balance of the side if you start Ford and Capwell, then bring on Walker, Jazz, and Marata.

Having the bots there also gives Webster more confidence in choosing Metcalf if he decides to go that way, which as I say....when you put him next to Roger the team has a hell of a lot of strike power.

We do not have one super impact Bench forward, so saving Walker, Jazz and Marata to come in as impact around the same time really meets that requirement.

Having said all of that, if Ford does not kick on this year, I would like to see Laban given a run at it. I think he is in for a big year when he gets his chance.

Last edited:
I'd argue the Superleague is closer in quality to the NRL than the A League is to EPL, or NBL is to NBA.

Definite step down in quality but not nearly the farmers league it's made out to be compared to some other comps.

With respect that's a ludicrous comparison.

League is played by 3 countries.

Difference between ESL salary cap and NRL is about AUD $8 million.

Your other two examples are obviously in the $100millions difference lol.

ESL is pretty much the definition of farmers league. How many winners the last 20 years? Four?

With respect that's a ludicrous comparison.

League is played by 3 countries.

Difference between ESL salary cap and NRL is about AUD $8 million.

Your other two examples are obviously in the $100millions difference lol.

ESL is pretty much the definition of farmers league. How many winners the last 20 years? Four

Compared to the whopping 5 different winners of the EPL the last 20 years?

The things you cite, closer salary cap, smaller amount of nations who play, are exactly why they're closer in quality to the sports top league.

Laugh at it all you want but it's still the league that produced Sam Burgess, John Bateman, James Graham, Gareth Elliot and co.

English teams full of mostly Superleague players beat the Kiwis in a series as recently as 2018.

Last edited:

I was in the TMM camp last year, but I like Metcalf for this year.

He seems to have matured a wee bit - last year he always seemed rushed and his first instinct was to run. Still early days, but it looks to me like that deer in the headlights 'run first' look from Metcalf seems to have disappeared. Still has LOADS to improve on, but I can deffo see him distributing better than last year.

I've said a few times that I see a lot of likeness between Mam and Metcalf. Mam's first year he had 6 tries and 7 try assists in 13 games, and kicked around 100m a game.
Last year Metcalf had 6 tries and 3 try assists in 12 games and kicked 87m a game. Mam's probably more elusive and has better distribution, but I really don't see any reason why Metcalf can't do similar to what Mam did last year

I was in the TMM camp last year, but I like Metcalf for this year.

He seems to have matured a wee bit - last year he always seemed rushed and his first instinct was to run. Still early days, but it looks to me like that deer in the headlights 'run first' look from Metcalf seems to have disappeared. Still has LOADS to improve on, but I can deffo see him distributing better than last year.

I've said a few times that I see a lot of likeness between Mam and Metcalf. Mam's first year he had 6 tries and 7 try assists in 13 games, and kicked around 100m a game.
Last year Metcalf had 6 tries and 3 try assists in 12 games and kicked 87m a game. Mam's probably more elusive and has better distribution, but I really don't see any reason why Metcalf can't do similar to what Mam did last year
Gee I hope so! I don't see that myself.

Just out of interest, what did the performance of the centre and winger outside of Mam look like?

The broncos from memory had one of the most balanced trys created % across the park.

Looks like we have three options for the 6 spot currently and each have their limitations. I don't see any of them being our long term answer there or at 7.

Back