Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
This Spud c#nt's pretty controversial on the bunnies sites, they're worried he might sue them now. Could be a good source ...it's not you is it mate?
Went and had a look at what you mentioned, I’d better be careful. It’s exactly what I do that they’re talking about. I generally try to use the persons username on whatever forum I copy to show it’s not me and what teams forum it’s off. Might get myself or this site in trouble if I continue?

Went and had a look at what you mentioned, I’d better be careful. It’s exactly what I do that they’re talking about. I generally try to use the persons username on whatever forum I copy to show it’s not me and what teams forum it’s off. Might get myself or this site in trouble if I continue?
Wouldn't have thought so, but I'm no IP or copyright expert. Slow news day on there by look of it.

The comment that two other players were considering a release was made around the time the AFB news came out.

Wasn't Curran already gone by then?
As I recall comments that we could have held onto him if we knew another player was going to leave.

Volkman is another one that would be a bit easier to take seeing as he was released. His request to be released is understandable seeing as we had signed CHT and he was likely going to find it tough to make first grade. Mind you it looks like he needs to return for his surgery and rehab. He will obviously return as it is paid for. If he was homesick coming back would be a bit of a chore especially the rehab.

Barnett made comments about being keen to move to NZ when he first signed. There may be other things going on in his life.

Any of the Australian guys if they did want to return home it can't be football related. Last year was one of the best ever, the crowd support meant you were playing in front of full houses, you are likely to learn from.

The weather is usually something that is brought up. I've seen some comments with players saying their team mates joking that it isn't normally like this.

We are pretty far removed from the AFB article saying two others were considering asking to leave. We are deep into the pre-season and close to the season starting. I'd say it is more likely something not too worry about or they may ask part way through the season and the club can either recruit for next year or allow it once they sort out a replacement.

I know November 30 is when you are allowed to make offers but it does seem like people make too much of that date. We have had a few early announcements but most signings are still done during the season as teams review how they are going.

I think he, marata, has been very good
1) he is our enforcer. I happen to be a fan that thinks every team needs one. His intimidation of Fifita was captivating
2) he may have only 6 or 8 hit ups pet game but they all to the eye were momentum changing and got us on the front foot in that set
3) he scared the shit out of every stand-off in the comp big running just at them
4) he follows instructions. He has a specific set of instructions and follows them
5) he expects to win and came from a winning culture at the eels In 2022 we were a losing culture he and the other added players last year plus Webster changed that culture.

I do agree for that money he can’t go around getting himself suspended and missing games but just quietly he is close to being my favourite player in the team and I know other warriors faithful fans dig him as well.
I am sorry for putting you on the spot by quoting you as you may very well agree with all my points. I just wanted to respond to the last post on him.
Agreed. For all the reasons you mentioned. It was a great scene, watching him stare down Fifita -I'd back Marata any day, he doesn't back down to anyone. I like having an enforcer in my team. It stops the opposition pack from running up so fast - they think twice. Teams that don't have one or two, tend to get owned, as the opposition smell blood.

Agreed. For all the reasons you mentioned. It was a great scene, watching him stare down Fifita -I'd back Marata any day, he doesn't back down to anyone. I like having an enforcer in my team. It stops the opposition pack from running up so fast - they think twice. Teams that don't have one or two, tend to get owned, as the opposition smell blood.
Also no one DARES thinking of cheap shotting one of our play makers with him riding shot gun.

I thought SJ looked like he benefited from having Niukore next to him last year for that reason.
Interesting

They put a goon on Gretzky's line one year to stop people trying to take the great one out and it worked wonders with Gretzky the highest points of his career those years. (I am talking Ice Hockey)

It's also takes the enforcer role away from Jazz who just gave away needless penalties doing it and no one was scared of him anyway and the second person who used to have to do it was AFB and now AFB can just concentrate on making metres.

Got Jazz too who they either extend or use his money for someone else?
I thought there was talk of Jazz wanting to move to Oz for a while there? His partner and new born live there? Think he meet her during the pandemic when the club were stuck there. Someone else may know a little more with that situation.

I thought there was talk of Jazz wanting to move to Oz for a while there? His partner and new born live there? Think he meet her during the pandemic when the club were stuck there. Someone else may know a little more with that situation.
If SJ was to play on in 2025, we’d have some good coin to get a good prop with Jazz’s, Barnett’s and the remainder of the money for BHU if he signed. With the players off contract, we’d need someone to go for a compassionate grounds release, preferably a Kiwi in that case. Might as well go for another hyphenated name, JFH would be a good one.

I was in st vincents hospital early january and the person in front of me in the queue looked just like Mitch Barnett, i asked him are you Mitch Barnett and it was. He went on to tell me the off season was going really well. I said to him that Webby seems the perfect fit for the Warriors and he replied that he had been so good for him, he had learnt so much from him. In hearing he might be leaving really surprises me because after talking to him he seemed really happy at the Warriors. But you never know what goes on in someones private life. He seemed like a great guy, was polite and gave me the time of day. I was really happy i met him, it made my day. Will be sad if he does leave but will be supporting him while he is here. After all while he is still here he's a Warrior, and they get my 100% support as long as they are wearing the Warriors Jersey.

Barny ain't playing anywhere other than here or Newcastle.

I've no doubt his long lay off with the neck last year must have been very difficult sitting at home in Auckland vs the whole support network in Newcastle.

He's smart enough to know this is his retirement contract, anything after this contract will likely be a lot lower.

I suspect he'll see it out

Back