NRL NRL Naughty chair

Roosters prop Spencer Leniu was involved in a second verbal altercation with Ezra Mam back at the team hotel following their heated exchange at Allegiant Stadium on Sunday.

It came after a post-game interview in which Leniu asked for exactly that.

“Just a little bit of banter on the field,” he described the alleged racial slur to Nine, in a Sunday interview aired on Monday’s bulletin.

“Whatever he (Mam) wants to do with it, he can come and see me after if he wants.

“I don’t know. It was all just fun and games on the field, a bit of banter. If they want to do anything, we’re staying in the same hotel, so I’m right there.”

Brisbane players were confronted by Leniu only hours after the incident, with Kotoni Staggs and lock Pat Carrigan standing in between a second tirade aimed at Mam back at the team hotel.

The Broncos and Roosters squads were situated on the same floor of their Vegas hotel, with their respective team dining areas approximately 50 metres apart.

Mam, Carrigan and Staggs were returning to their rooms at Resorts World after the entire Broncos squad gathered for dinner at the hotel.

As they were walking back to their rooms, they reportedly ran into Leniu who was angry at Mam for not leaving the incident on the field.

Leniu reportedly first made a beeline for Staggs, who was walking slightly ahead of Mam and Carrigan. It is understood the pair exchanged words, although at no stage was there a physical altercation.

This could make it worse the fact he couldn’t let it go and more later on
Strange. It’s reported differently outside of Brisbane..

If the forum can’t decide definitively if it’s even racist how are the players supposed to know?

They could come out with a list of banned words but they won’t because it’s context and offence is taken not given. Which means it will keep happening.

Australia had a culture of sledging and guarantee a lot worse are said many times in the NrL season but it never comes out.

Unless all sledging is banned its only a matter of time until the next person oversteps an unknown line without even realising it.

Leniu is an idiot but Mam is also mentally questionable for taking offence…
Thank god some reason.

From his performance with JWH, this and others I’d say the mentally questionable one is Leniu. Go get in a boxing ring like the other players are if you desire a scrap rather than this come see me in the parking lot shit
Meh disagree. A million worse things gets said on field but Mam wants to have a cry to the ref? Should have let his actions on the field do the talking but that’s right, they were losing when he made the complaint. And then has a cry after the game? GTFO. It’s Mam that’s made a mountain of a molehill.

But interesting to note so many league fans now want sledging and banter banned.

Its really clear cut for me Aboriginal & Torres Starit Islanders have suffered horrendous crimes & injustices under racist rule so the hurt for them runs deep.

Even if Leniu didn't mean for his words to be impactful fact of the matter they were, so he either has to argue he didn't say it at all or he did and he was ignorant of how it could have been taken as a racial slur.

Its really clear cut for me Aboriginal & Torres Starit Islanders have suffered horrendous crimes & injustices under racist rule so the hurt for them runs deep.

Even if Leniu didn't mean for his words to be impactful fact of the matter they were, so he either has to argue he didn't say it at all or he did and he was ignorant of how it could have been taken as a racial slur.
But isn’t every sledge designed to be hurtful and mentally affect the other player?

So you can do it with the aim to hurt feelings but if it works to well then suddenly it’s not ok?

A sledge against an overweight player that has battled their weight their whole lives and has issues over it can do an equal amount of emotional harm if the receiver is susceptibke about it.

How do you define who’s taking what amount of offence?

Meh disagree. A million worse things gets said on field but Mam wants to have a cry to the ref? Should have let his actions on the field do the talking but that’s right, they were losing when he made the complaint. And then has a cry after the game? GTFO. It’s Mam that’s made a mountain of a molehill.

But interesting to note so many league fans now want sledging and banter banned.
Just the changing of society I guess. I’m sure they still would call each other cunts or the likes but Montoya was a catalyst for me. I grew up in an era where at school we’d jibe a mate calling him a fag or homo but this sort of thing isn’t accepted anymore and people being asked to be more sensitive to the connotations and to the community in which these remarks have historically been directed

But isn’t every sledge designed to be hurtful and mentally affect the other player?

So you can do it with the aim to hurt feelings but if it works to well then suddenly it’s not ok?

A sledge against an overweight player that has battled their weight their whole lives and has issues over it can do an equal amount of emotional harm if the receiver is susceptibke about it.

I appreciate this point cause your not wrong, we love some sledging abit of banter nothing wrong with it.

For me racism though is were I put a line in the sand and i don't play about that, and for some players it's obviously there bottom line aswell.

You can walk down there street and call someone what you like and you might get street justice but there’s no rule in place in everyday life, just decency but if you’re on a sports field or court or whatever there are obviously rules that go with decency. The cricket World Cup over here that we played Aussie in the final, microphones could pick up Brad Haddin calling the batsmen cunts and some pretty aggressive sledging that Aussie are well known for but nothing said so it’s obviously race and sexual orientation are out of bounds. You saying remarks about your mum or sister would cause rage for yourself, that’s you. Why should Mam not be upset with these remarks? For all you know he’s copped them all his life. Some might say you’re a snowflake if you got upset and it was remarks about your mum or sister that triggered you

You can control your weight, you have no choice over your race.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head other than Montoya - Josh McGuire got 7 weeks in SL for making a comment about somebody's family member who had a disability and over in rugby Joe Marler got 6 weeks for a sledge about somebodies mum - so it's not like this is new, it's been a long time coming.

Opinions differ around what's offensive and whats not but I'm sure we all agree racism is cooked.

Last edited:

For once we are in complete agreement.

Off the top of my head other than Montoya - Josh McGuire got 7 weeks in SL for making a comment about somebody's family member who had a disability and over in rugby Joe Marler got 6 weeks for a sledge about somebodies mum - so it's not like this is unprecedented.

Justin Carney copped 8 weeks for racial abuse, specifically "verbal abuse based on race or colour", of a Toronto player back in 2017

Their season is slightly longer than ours, or it was at the time (27 games, over 24 games), and they have Challenge Cup games as well, so that is something to bear in mind I suppose.

Something to note, *Carney said that he was using whatever he said in an abusive manner, but he did not "intend his words to be taken in a racial context".
update cc: Noitall

Last edited:
Off the top of my head other than Montoya - Josh McGuire got 7 weeks in SL for making a comment about somebody's family member who had a disability and over in rugby Joe Marler got 6 weeks for a sledge about somebodies mum - so it's not like this is new, it's been a long time coming.

Opinions differ around what's offensive and whats not but I'm sure we all agree racism is cooked.

Now that’s fair enough, if you want to ban sledging, then just make it consistent. No offensive speech

The worst part is, people telling others how offended they should be about racist remarks said towards them.
Everyone's got a different background, even people from the same race. If you've grown up with a lot of racial abuse or insults about your sexuality certain phrases can be a trigger.

The worst part is, people telling others how offended they should be about racist remarks said towards them.
Everyone's got a different background, even people from the same race. If you've grown up with a lot of racial abuse or insults about your sexuality certain phrases can be a trigger.

Seriously this is it.
"I'm not offended so you shouldn't be either".
Not really the way the world works I'm afraid.

Back