General Mt Smart Stadium

How the fuck did Eden Park make the final 2 with rugby backing a different option and the Warriors and Auckland FC not being interested?
Incompetence of those making the decisions and money. Also, it now appears it wasn’t NZR or the AB’s pushing for one option….. just one person.

I reckon we can get I sorted pretty quickly with people from this forum….. I design it, you can oversee the building, Wiz can do the electrical, Noitall can paint it, Spence Spence and his workmates can do the consultancy work, ToiletDuck can consult on the medical facilities, mt.wellington can be in charge of merchandising and promotion as well as stonelaying, Bruce can be in charge of public relations, Bay39er Bay39er can do finance and insurance, and MrFrankWhite MrFrankWhite and sup42 do security.

Last edited:
Incompetence of those making the decisions and money. Also, it now appears it wasn’t NZR or the AB’s pushing for one option….. just one person.

I reckon we can get I sorted pretty quickly with people from this forum….. I design it, you can oversee the building, Wiz can do the electrical, Noitall can paint it, Spence Spence and his workmates can do the consultancy work, ToiletDuck can consult on the medical facilities, mt.wellington can be in charge of merchandising and promotion as well as stonelaying, Bruce can be in charge of public relations, Bay39er Bay39er can do finance and insurance, and MrFrankWhite MrFrankWhite and sup42 do security.
Sounds like a plan!

Might be let down by the public relations team though 😞

Despite mixed results on the field, the Warriors fans have been keeping the faith.

The club has enjoyed a hot run of crowd attendance, and are now eying an NRL record of selling out every home game in a season.

With upcoming clashes against Melbourne and Brisbane already sold out, the Warriors will just need to fill the house in their final three games to reach an unprecedented mark.

With sellouts for their two trials in February as well, it leaves them on track to deliver 14 sold-out home games for the year.

Warriors chief executive Cameron George said the fan base has taken its support to another level in 2024.

"It's absolutely brilliant seeing the way members and fans have got behind their club. To sell out the Melbourne game almost three weeks ahead of game day and the Broncos almost five weeks out is unbelievable."

After the blockbusters against the Storm and Broncos, the Warriors end their home season with games against the Tigers, Eels and Bulldogs.

"If we can sell out those games as well it will be an amazing achievement and another statement about what the club and rugby league mean to New Zealanders."

The Warriors have sold out 17 of their 22 home games since the start of 2023, which saw home games in Wellington, Brisbane, Napier, and Christchurch.

In 10 matches at Go Media Stadium last year, the crowd average was 22,739 with the biggest 26,083 against the Knights.

The crowd average for five matches at Go Media Stadium so far this season is up to 23,658.

Let's hope these crowds continue. Firstly that means the team is going well.

Secondly, it is good for the overall business.

It will also be good for the club for negotiations if they need improvements to Mt Smart or if miracles do happen and a new stadium is built they are in a good negotiating position.

When they were getting pushed to Eden Park it wasn't feasible for the club to move.

Council have decided that it's come down to two options.... Quay Park (Te Tōangaroa) or a revamped Eden Park. Decision to reject Wynyard Wharf and the Sunken Stadium wasn't based on the merit of the proposals but because Council "has other plans" for those areas.

Last edited:
Any of the other new stadium options would be exciting and would likely work well.

The Eden Park upgrade looks nice and all but we have been down this route before. A lot of the issues will remain location, restrictions with the neighbourhood and night events.

Will it end up being profitable to the point they will be able to pay for their own maintenance? It didn't look like it in the article the other week where their CEO had to get corrected on his figures.

Quay park probably has the most challenges to overcome in terms of location due to the work required to reconfigure the rail line. In 6 months time they are just going to pick Eden Park and the status quo. These councilors have no vision
There’s pressure coming on the Council to have things ready for the proposed Lions rugby tour in 2029. That, and the money involved, will mean they will most likely go with the cheapest and fasted option, Eden Park.

Like you said, no vision.

And, the first person from Council or the EPTB to mention that EP should still be able to hold cricket games, should be invited to bungy jump off the harbour bridge without a bungy cord!!!L

If they choose to go with EP, Auckland Council need to update their district plan and the government update the ancient act governing EP to allow Eden Park #2 ground to be sold for development to help fund the upgrade to EP #1.

Just bought a few South Stand tickets to the Eels game for me and whichever mates tag along, even though I haven't figured how I'm getting up to Akl yet 😅

Didn't wanna miss out after seeing the sellout for next two home games already, plus get to check Eels off my teams-seen-live list (seen Tigs and Dogs already), and already had wedding and gig respectively scheduled back in Welly day after those other two games anyway so Eels better logistically for me 😅

Hopefully they still have this winning feeling in couple months! 🙏

Just bought a few South Stand tickets to the Eels game for me and whichever mates tag along, even though I haven't figured how I'm getting up to Akl yet 😅

Didn't wanna miss out after seeing the sellout for next two home games already, plus get to check Eels off my teams-seen-live list (seen Tigs and Dogs already), and already had wedding and gig respectively scheduled back in Welly day after those other two games anyway so Eels better logistically for me 😅

Hopefully they still have this winning feeling in couple months! 🙏

There weren't too many seats left in main stands either, just quietly!

So get in sooner than later!

There weren't too many seats left in main stands either, just quietly!

So get in sooner than later!
What I find funny is they try to justify the low turn out to the Blues games by saying that it because the games are played at night and based on a “good” crowd for one game during the day…. but the Warriors are selling out Mt Smart whether it’s a day or night game.

Looking at the new tents down that end, I reckon there's a fair bit of hospitality money going through that they obviously figure can bring in a bit more money than seating for average punters.
When they added the seating last year for the All Blacks tests I am pretty sure that was along the lines of what Cameron George was arguing.

I can't recall the name of the tent (Mad Butchers Lounge?) but it was a good place for members to gather.

The other thing may be the rental of the additional seating. I think it was covered for the weeks around the All Blacks matches but after that it was an additional cost. As weird as it sound it might also be a supply thing as there have been quotes in articles about seating needed elsewhere. The Albany stadium as a chunk taken out of the hill side as the seating was moved somewhere else.

I wonder if the excellent attendance at Mt Smart the past 18 months, the Warriors refusing to move to Eden Park, the AB’s (remember them) preferring a new home venue, and the new Auckland A League side also wanting a central city home ground might just push the possibility of the Quay St site to poll position.?
This in conjunction with local iwi placed to benefit from this development and importantly the ability to host an event every week of the year might just get this over the line. 🤞🏾

I wonder if the excellent attendance at Mt Smart the past 18 months, the Warriors refusing to move to Eden Park, the AB’s (remember them) preferring a new home venue, and the new Auckland A League side also wanting a central city home ground might just push the possibility of the Quay St site to poll position.?
This in conjunction with local iwi placed to benefit from this development and importantly the ability to host an event every week of the year might just get this over the line. 🤞🏾
Ngāti Whatua would certainly favour Quay Park over Wynyard Wharf or Eden Park options. Why? Because they own the land so would receive huge money each year from the Stadium.

Ngāti Whatua would certainly favour Quay Park over Wynyard Wharf or Eden Park options. Why? Because they own the land so would receive huge money each year from the Stadium.
For those who think the Quay Park Stadium on leasehold land is an excellent idea, might want to consider this....

Te Tōangaroa Quay Park leasehold fee spiral fear​

Owners of an 81-unit Auckland apartment complex fear annual leasehold ground rents could leap from $16,000/unit to $30,000/unit next year but the landowner says nothing is decided yet.

Dr Michael Rehm, body corporate chairman of Parnell Terraces near the railway line, said increased height and density planning allowances could hugely spike land values and result in a big ground rent leap from August 2025 when the new rents will begin.

Leasehold payments of $16,000/year per unit at Parnell Terraces have been charged since 2018.

But the seven-yearly review will set new rates from 2025-2032, he said.

And $30,000/year would be the stand-still do-nothing cost of simply owning one of the Parnell Terraces’ unit titles, because apartment owners don’t own the land those units stand on.

“You’ll have a situation where there will be wholesale defaults,” Rehm, a University of Auckland academic, predicted, fearing unit owners would be unable to afford the rise.

“We will get a letter in March next year that will give the assessment of the land value. Then, we will most likely get a valuer and challenge that. Because of the increase in height allowance, we expect to be charged around $30,000 per annum per unit,” he said.

Grant Kemble, Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Rawa chief executive, encouraged people not to leap to any conclusions about the reset in leasehold fees at Quay Park and in Parnell next year.

“There will be a valuation etc process to go through and we don’t think it’s useful to speculate before then,” Kemble said. “It would be unhelpful to all parties involved to speculate on the outcome of the August 2025 ground rent review. We have a well-defined and transparent process outlined in our ground leases with each of our lessees that we will follow when the time comes.”

But Rehm said many other Te Tōangaroa Quay Park and Parnell leases on Māori-owned land would come up for review early next year.

The problems he and his neighbours face will be reflected throughout the area, he predicted.

Other buildings on leasehold land in the area include the Spark Arena, a Woolworths supermarket, and large apartment blocks Scene One, Scene Two, and Scene Three, many office blocks, hotels, shops and car-parking spaces, the BNZ offices, apartments at Cotesmore Way and Dovedale Place, Grant Central serviced apartments, Hudson Brown apartments, Les Mills Britomart, the Adina Apartment Hotel Auckland Britomart, the Docks and the Landings apartments, Mirage apartments and Quay Park Health Centre.

In 1996, Ngāti Whātua bought the ex-railway lands known as Quay Park from the Crown and on-sold leasehold interests for development, retaining land ownership.

The latest annual report for Whai Rawa for the year to June 30, 2023, says: “Investment properties since the inception of Whai Rawa in 2013 have been very positive, with the aggregate valuation rising from $544 million in FY13 to $1399m in FY23.”

The Court of Appeal ruled this month in favour of Whai Rawa and against Parnell Terraces in the leasehold land dispute. Unit owners sought to claim the Māori entity’s leases should either be set aside or that their rent be varied on the basis that it was either harsh or unconscionable, or had been used in a harsh or unconscionable manner.

Whai Rawa owns more than 160ha of commercial and development land including big ex-Navy North Shore plots.

Rehm estimates around 15,000 homes and units are on leasehold land in New Zealand and has noted British moves to reform fees on this form of tenure.

Back